Looking for headphones for basshead (hd650 as base/reference)
Jun 7, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #16 of 25
I don't find my HD650's to have basshead oriented bass; it doesn't slam my ears. I doubt it would fit your tastes.

Jun 7, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #17 of 25
The HD650 is on the bassy side but is not a monster basshead's can. I am more or less happy with the bass it outputs, but I've heard much bassier. 

I've also compared the HD650 to the IE8 extensively and there are some key and significant differences to their sound sig, though on the whole they are relatively similar in style and sound. Should note that the IE8 has a lot more bass than HD650, while the HD650 has a great deal more clarity and zing in the highs.

Quote:
I personally find the sonic signature of a properly amped HD650 to be very similar to the IE8s, and think you might be very happy with them. They're not bass monsters, but I think they're just right for a wide range of music types.

Jun 8, 2010 at 2:07 AM Post #18 of 25

Quote:
Yeah, it is weird.  I think they're designed like some kind of ported subwoofer enclosure.  Beyer's website says they have a 'bass reflex system'.  Either that or black magic.  I don't have my notes from canjam with me right now, but I'm pretty sure the 990s had more bass than the D5000s.  I didn't give the D5000s and extended listen though, since I was concentrating in a bit lower price range, so I could be wrong.  The 990s were something I was researching for a while before and I found plenty of people on here who came to the same conclusion I did.  I think someone said the the bass went downhill from the open 990 to the semi open 880 to the closed 770, but It might have been 990>770>880.  Also keep in that these are the 'premium' versions.  For the 770 at least the are quite different from the 'pro' model.  The 770 pros are supposed to be humongous bass cannons, but I have not heard them myself.  I don't know if there are such large differences between the 'pro' and 'premium' 880s and 990s.  I've heard that they have more headband pressure, but I don't know if that's the only difference.

But yeah, it's still strange.

I need to try those beyers sometime...too bad i have no where to do that in my country.
are they so different than the 250ohm version?  i read some reviews on them saying that they do have a nice bass compares to the DT880 but that's it...no talking about monstrous bass or subwoofer like bass.    i am still very surprised to hear what you say.
headroom don't mention this kind of bass in their review also.    and they ARE open cans after all,so that's doesn't make sense to me that's all.     perhaps you and i are talking about different things when relating to the term "bass".    because i doubt that the DT990 have the kind of bass i am talking about.  (D5000,DX1000,pro900 etc.)

Jun 8, 2010 at 8:25 AM Post #19 of 25
From what I recall the DT990 has a big midbass bump, may e that is what he is talking about.

Jun 8, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #20 of 25
Well this graph is for the 990 250 ohm, I believe.  It shows overall more bass than the D2000, more of a midbass hump, than the D5000s but not quite as deep.

It could also be a difference in the amps.  I listened to the broken in DT990/600, belonging to levlhed, on my Maverick Tubemagic D1, and the non broken in ones at the Beyer table on a Headroom amp that they don't seem to sell anymore.  Its also possible the new 990/600s I listened to at the Beyer table weren't actually 600s.  The guy at the table didn't seem to know what he was talking about.  If that is true then they might not benefit so much from burn in as I stated previously.  In fact, now that I think about it, its quite possible, since the flaws I described are what other people say the 600 fixes, compared to the 250.

The 990 does have more midbass than deep bass, but the deep bass is there.  The 20hz tone from the Open Your Ears, Heartbeat track was very clearly audible.  More so than on the D2000s.  I didn't play my suite of test tracks on the D5000s though, so I can't say they have more bass than those.  I haven't heard the DX1000 or pro900 either so I can't compare those either.

I'm not really a golden ear.  I just know what I like.  I was looking for something fun with plenty of bass that didn't ruin the rest of the spectrum.  In the price range I was looking at, the DT990/600s were the best for that role.

People are comparing D5000s, DT990s, and DT770s in this thread.  Maybe you can ask there.  The gel pads also apparently increase  the bass a lot, as well.

Right now the 990/600s are pretty cheap on B&H, 230USD.  They supposedly have a good return policy, but shipping to and from Israel probably won't be to cheap.  It will probably be cheaper than from Beyer's official site, If you can't find a local supplier.

Jun 8, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #21 of 25
the graph is nice..but i learned not to trust graphs so much.  i still think that the D5000 should have more "boom boom" to them than the DT990.  the DT990 probably do have a great quantity of mid bass but the "boom boom" effect can't be like in closed headphones.    but i guess i can't know untill i try them for myself.  maybe i will be surprised
smile.gif

Jun 8, 2010 at 5:35 PM Post #22 of 25
The graphs aren't perfect, and its probably not even a graph of the right version (250 ohm and not a 600) but until everyone has a reference set of everything listed on headroom its the best we've got.

Jun 8, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #23 of 25

Quote:
The graphs aren't perfect, and its probably not even a graph of the right version (250 ohm and not a 600) but until everyone has a reference set of everything listed on headroom its the best we've got.

don't get me wrong..I trust the headroom graphs very much.  but graphs shows only the frequencies,and they can't show "boom boom"effect in a closed headphone vs. open headphone.  i am sure that the DT990 have tons of mid bass as the graph shows but i also sure (and from reading reviews) that they don't have the boxy clubby punch of a closed headphone.  maybe i am wrong here..but open design simply can't deliver that kind of bass punch i am talking about.  

Jun 10, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #24 of 25
I was looking over my notes again and found something that might be relevant that I forgot when I was posting earlier.  I tested the DT990/600s on my Maverick D1 while I tested the D2000s and the M50s on my Total BitHead.

My SE530s have a very similar impedance curve to the D2000s and I don't notice much increase in bass between the two amps with those. I know my Bithead has plenty of juice.  It can make my SE530s spit out at least a 16hz test tone.  On the other hand, those 2 pairs of phones are about as different from each other as you get in just about every other respect.  The Maverick does have a lot more power, (rated at 300mw into 600 ohms) but how much of that do you need If you're not listening at very loud levels?  I apparently don't, because at canjam every time I saw someone listening to a particular set up and noted the position of the volume dial, I ended up listening at a lower volume.  That could be another difference as well.  Perhaps other people listen louder than I do, and the bass of the Denons and the Beyers scales differently with the rest of the volume.

Jun 14, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #25 of 25
So I got a set of DT990/600s and loved them for a few hours.  It got brighter and brighter as it burned in.  I only got to listen to the set at canjam for about 15-20 minutes, and I was doing some focused listening on some specific tracks so I didn't really notice that the highs would be so fatiguing.  I can't really just lay back and relax with them because of the excessive (to my ears anyway) treble.

So after that, I decided to order some D2000s since those were second choice out of all the reasonably priced 'phones I heard.  I just got them in this morning, but I've been listening to them all day at work.  So far they have more bass then I remember.  I think it's more than the 990s, but I think the 990s are tighter.  The D2000s may still need a little break in though.

I went back and looked at the graphs, pondering the contradictions in my memory, and noticed something interesting.  If you zero the graphs around the treble peaks, which at least for me is the limit to how far I'll turn it up, the Denons have more base everywhere except for the 990s peak at 110~120hz.  That graph is for the 250 ohm version though, not the 600 which I have, so there will be some differences.  Don't know how much though.  =953&graphID[1]=963&graphID[2]=713&graphID[3]=2131&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Compare+Headphones]This graph shows a small difference between the 880/32s and the 880/250s but a huge difference between the 770/250s and the 770/600s.

Food for thought?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back