Looking for headphones for basshead (hd650 as base/reference)
Jun 7, 2010 at 9:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

niotio910

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm very interested in the HD650. But I don't know if its bass is sufficient enough for me? I own a Senn in-ear IE8 and I really love its bass. And I also own an hd595, but I feel that the 595's bass is weak when I use it straight out of my laptop. My favorite kinds of music are: pop, r&b, jazz, acoustic, ballads, trance...
I'm planning to buy a DV 3322 or Woo Audio 3. I'd like to know if the HD650 (with these amp) fits my favorite tastes. If it's not what kind of headphones would you recommend?

Thanks!

Jun 7, 2010 at 10:03 AM Post #2 of 25
some find the HD650's bass to be satisfing...i dont!    if you want the kind of head shaking bass and want to feel the trance beats (punch) to the exrteme the HD650 will not give you that.   what is your budget?  i would suggest one of the denon line: D2000,D5000,and the D7000 as a more expensive alternative.   those are like mini-subs next to your ears
smile.gif

the ATH-M50 is cheaper than the denons and sound awsome too!  great bass (quantity and quality) but less sparkling highs than the denons,but not rolled off in any way.
all those i mentioned are bassheads delights!

EDIT: about those tube amps you mentioned..all the recommendations above are low impedance headphones and usually best match with SS amps.  both scientifically and sound signature wise. (tube amps are considred to be generally warm and lush and those headphones are already warm and bassy..so a flat SS amp will go best with them imo).
or make sure that the tube amp you're getting can handle low impedance.

Jun 7, 2010 at 11:20 AM Post #3 of 25
Thanks plonter!
I also tried out the D2000 at the store. I think it's good. I've got a feeling like the D2000's overall quality is between the HD595 and the HD650. Is that true?
By the way, what's SS amp do you suggest for the D2000/D5000? I wanna invest an amp that I can be with me forever :wink:

Jun 7, 2010 at 11:33 AM Post #4 of 25

Quote:
Thanks plonter!
I also tried out the D2000 at the store. I think it's good. I've got a feeling like the D2000's overall quality is between the HD595 and the HD650. Is that true?
By the way, what's SS amp do you suggest for the D2000/D5000? I wanna invest an amp that I can be with me forever :wink:

well..there are a lot of amps,you can get some good info and advices in the full size amps forum (read,don't be shy).  i personally don't have so much experience with different amps,and that's becasue since i got my headroom ultra micro amp (and dac) i didn't feel the need to upgrade . it does an excellent job with my low impedance headphones.

..in what area did you feel that the HD650 is better than the D2000?

Jun 7, 2010 at 12:02 PM Post #5 of 25

Quote:
Hi,

I'm very interested in the HD650. But I don't know if its bass is sufficient enough for me? I own a Senn in-ear IE8 and I really love its bass.

I personally find the sonic signature of a properly amped HD650 to be very similar to the IE8s, and think you might be very happy with them. They're not bass monsters, but I think they're just right for a wide range of music types.

My preference is for SS amps to match with the HD650s -- both the Gilmore Lite (now sadly discontinued) and Audio-GD C2 really make the bass snap. If you're considering upgrading your source (adding a DAC, in other words), then the Audio-GD FUN is a good all-in-one solution. For tubes, the WA6 was a very nice match, but I haven't heard the WA3.

There's a lot of hate for the HD650s in these forums (not calling out anyone in this thread, mind you), but don't let it sway you -- there's a hate contingent for every set of cans (K701/2, DT990, etc.) that can get vocal from time to time.

Jun 7, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #6 of 25
HD650 is better than D2000, not a lot but better enough for me - I sold my Denons. I also prefer recabled DT770 Pro 80 Ohm to D2000. I do not think HD650 will satisfy your bass requirements.

Jun 7, 2010 at 12:27 PM Post #7 of 25

Quote:
HD650 is better than D2000, not a lot but better enough for me - I sold my Denons. I also prefer recabled DT770 Pro 80 Ohm to D2000. I do not think HD650 will satisfy your bass requirements.

by your last statement,i assume that the HD650 is NOT better if you are a basshead...

Jun 7, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #8 of 25
Except for the bass,i think that the denon highs are more appropriate for electronic music,where you need some spark and sharpness.  the HD650 simply don't have it.

there is no better here,only what's better for the listener,  for me,the M50 is MUCH better than the HD650.   when the sound reaches a certain level of quality ,the only thing that differ from one headphone to another is the sound signature.

Jun 7, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #10 of 25
Ok, I'll probably go for the D2000 with a SS amp - I'm not sure which amp I'm gonna use :) I'll do some research.
BTW, what about the BeyerDynamic headphones? I actually tried the  ultrasonic but I didn't like it because of its confort

Jun 7, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #11 of 25
I'm also a bit of a bass-head so you might be interested in my opinions from what I heard this weekend and Canjam.

You might want to consider the Beyerdynamic DT990/600 ohm.  They really pound.  More than the M50s and D2000s, and don't seem to sacrifice much to achieve it.  I thought the D2000s were more warm/dark than deep and bassy, but certainly not as bass lite as the HD650s.  They were really comfy, and I liked the overall tone.  The M50s seem relatively neutral except for the tasteful bass boost, and I thought they were quite good for the price.

I was looking for a 'fun' headphones to use for music and some movies/anime at home and decided to go with the the DT990.  I just ordered them last night.  The D2000s and M50 would also be excellent choices as well.  You might want to consider those if you'd like to trade a little bass for some isolation.

If you get the DT990s be sure to let them burn in before you judge them.  They really need it.  I listened to 2 pairs, one brand new and one that had seen a few months of use.  The new ones sound pretty terrible in comparison.  The bass was muddy, the mids were very recessed, and the highs were shrill.  I don't know exactly how much burn in they do need though.

Jun 7, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #12 of 25

Quote:
I'm also a bit of a bass-head so you might be interested in my opinions from what I heard this weekend and Canjam.

You might want to consider the Beyerdynamic DT990/600 ohm.  They really pound.  More than the M50s and D2000s, and don't seem to sacrifice much to achieve it.  I thought the D2000s were more warm/dark than deep and bassy, but certainly not as bass lite as the HD650s.  They were really comfy, and I liked the overall tone.  The M50s seem relatively neutral except for the tasteful bass boost, and I thought they were quite good for the price.

I was looking for a 'fun' headphones to use for music and some movies/anime at home and decided to go with the the DT990.  I just ordered them last night.  The D2000s and M50 would also be excellent choices as well.  You might want to consider those if you'd like to trade a little bass for some isolation.

If you get the DT990s be sure to let them burn in before you judge them.  They really need it.  I listened to 2 pairs, one brand new and one that had seen a few months of use.  The new ones sound pretty terrible in comparison.  The bass was muddy, the mids were very recessed, and the highs were shrill.  I don't know exactly how much burn in they do need though.

so you found the DT990/600 to have more bass quantity than the D2000? more punch as well? how can it be with an open headphone..    I have the D5000 which supposed to be similar to the D2000 (more or less) and the bass is VERY VERY dominant,it is so strong that i can feel it in my chest sometimes. any more bass than this (even 0.1 db) will be too much for the human ears to handle
bigsmile_face.gif
  and this is coming from a hardcore bass head!   it is not that i don't believe you but it just sounds odd to me that's all.

Jun 7, 2010 at 3:01 PM Post #13 of 25
Darth Beyers! The most insane bass I have ever heard from a pair of phones.

Also modded DT880s can be as bassy as you want them to be. Check out Noxter's closeback mod.

Jun 7, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:
so you found the DT990/600 to have more bass quantity than the D2000? more punch as well? how can it be with an open headphone..    I have the D5000 which supposed to be similar to the D2000 (more or less) and the bass is VERY VERY dominant,it is so strong that i can feel it in my chest sometimes. any more bass than this (even 0.1 db) will be too much for the human ears to handle
bigsmile_face.gif
  and this is coming from a hardcore bass head!   it is not that i don't believe you but it just sounds odd to me that's all.

Yeah, it is weird.  I think they're designed like some kind of ported subwoofer enclosure.  Beyer's website says they have a 'bass reflex system'.  Either that or black magic.  I don't have my notes from canjam with me right now, but I'm pretty sure the 990s had more bass than the D5000s.  I didn't give the D5000s and extended listen though, since I was concentrating in a bit lower price range, so I could be wrong.  The 990s were something I was researching for a while before and I found plenty of people on here who came to the same conclusion I did.  I think someone said the the bass went downhill from the open 990 to the semi open 880 to the closed 770, but It might have been 990>770>880.  Also keep in that these are the 'premium' versions.  For the 770 at least the are quite different from the 'pro' model.  The 770 pros are supposed to be humongous bass cannons, but I have not heard them myself.  I don't know if there are such large differences between the 'pro' and 'premium' 880s and 990s.  I've heard that they have more headband pressure, but I don't know if that's the only difference.

But yeah, it's still strange.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back