Looking for headphones for a 2A3
Dec 28, 2012 at 10:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

lordglum

New Head-Fier
Hello,
I'm new here.  Some background story...

I bought a set of grado SR80's years ago.  Never really thought much of them until I recently built a BB Cmoy.  Wow I am now hooked on the headphone bug.  I got a pair of astrotec's to pair with the cmoy just to take to work with me.

Back around the same time of the grado purchase I built a JE labs/Time bandit 2A3 variant (that among about 8 different sets of open baffle, full range speakers and 4 more tube amps...I tend to obsess).  The 2A3 had been sitting for a while; once the headphone bug hit i tosssed a jack in the back and magic happened.  So I ordered an Alien Dac (hope its on its way) and built some new cables. 

Now I think I have out grown the Grado's.  That and I am not a fan of the fit and cords.

I listen to pretty much anything...from rap to metal to classical to chinese lute.

Budget is $300 tops and I'm open to trade/used/audigon if I have to.
I have looked at HiFiman and sen and the Fischer Fa-011..but that is about it.

Thanks for the help,
J

Dec 28, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #2 of 3
on the high end sennheiser hd-25 ii's and pioneer's hdj-2000's off amazing clear sound depending on your taste's over ear or on ear the 2000's have more bass and the senn's have more mid and treble but i prefer the 2000's cause the mid's and low mid's are more clearer also if you want a really neutral clear sound audio-technica's ath-m50's are fantastic probably the most neutral sound balanced headphones ive heard for 110 on amazon and the 2000's are 225 on amazon down from 350 retail

Dec 28, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #3 of 3
I would prefer some open backed over the ear phones, so I can't say I looked at any of the models you suggested.  I have looked at the Ad900 & HD598.  I should have been more specific...sorry.

I am thinking I would prefer open back vs closed. 

Thanks,
J

Users who are viewing this thread

Back