Looking for headphone suggestions
Aug 5, 2018 at 3:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Den Sol

Head-Fier
Just checked my own profile, apparently I joined this site around Octorber 2014 and haven't been very active here at all.

At the time (2014) I had a Samsung Note 3 and bought B&W P7 (wired). Enjoyed the headphones. The phone had since retired and now I have an iPhone 7 plus.

Last year I got myself an Fiio X3 to pair with my B&W P7, enjoyed it for a while. Honestly I don't feel that setup is much better sounding, as far as I can tell, than my iPhone paired with wireless Bose AE2 headphones. The Phone + Wireless-headphones setup is much easier to explore new music and more accessible, since I carry my phone and the wireless headphones with me all the time.

Recently I got itchy again on getting some HEAD-FI upgrades. After much research I pulled the trigger on an A&K A&Futura SE100, anxiously waiting for it to arrive:L3000:.

Originally I was planning to get an Fiio X7 Mark ii, but then I found out A&K Kann might be better. Then I figured if I am going to spend around $1k already, might as well spend a bit more and get this year's new and hopefully better tech that is A&Futura SE100 :dt880smile:.

Then I started to research for headphones. I kinda narrowed down my day-to-day headphones on Sennheiser PCX550, for daily listening at work and conferencing phone calling for work, travelling. The main point for choosing this pair of headphones are two things, first is the voice call quality should be good, second is sound should be good enough, at least should beat Bose AE2.

Currently I am carrying with me everyday the Bose AE2 for music and a pair of Logitech G533 for conference calling. Hopefully the Sennheiser PCX 550 can replace those two pairs in my backpack.

Now the quest for my main headphones starts. I like the 80s-90s glam metal, pop rock, some classical music and jazz would be fun as well. Budget $500-$800, could go higher if I really twist my own arm :ksc75smile:.

From what I learned the open back over the ear headphones probably sound better, right now I am quite interested in the planar magnetic type, such as Audeze LCD2C/SINE.

Any suggestion is highly appreciated!

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #3 of 18
My recommendation is the ZMF Ori, used if need be. It has an Audeze like warmth (amazing bass and mids) but without the problematic upper mids and treble of Audeze. I even preferred it to the Audeze LCD-4 for this reason while I owned both. The Ori is one of few non electrostatic headphones I have used that has no significant treble issues.

Aug 5, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #4 of 18
Audeze LCD2C is very good if you can get over the recessed upper mids

Thanks FastAndClean! The difficulty with these higher end headphones is that you rarely get a chance to listen to them to decide for yourself before buying. Therefore I'd have to keep the concern regarding recessed upper-mids in mind without knowing how heavy it will affect my listening experience.

I'd be just taking a bit of time to take in advices here and research a bit.

Aug 5, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #5 of 18
My recommendation is the ZMF Ori, used if need be. It has an Audeze like warmth (amazing bass and mids) but without the problematic upper mids and treble of Audeze. I even preferred it to the Audeze LCD-4 for this reason while I owned both. The Ori is one of few non electrostatic headphones I have used that has no significant treble issues.

Thanks Rhamnetin! The ZMF brand is one that I haven't heard of and looked into, the ZMF Ori looks like very solid build, aesthetically pleasing and still in my price range. Will look into it more. These headphones seem to have a higher impendence, so looks like I should be thinking of investing in a AMF as well, hmm the next piece of my puzzle I guess.

Aug 5, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #6 of 18
Thanks Rhamnetin! The ZMF brand is one that I haven't heard of and looked into, the ZMF Ori looks like very solid build, aesthetically pleasing and still in my price range. Will look into it more. These headphones seem to have a higher impendence, so looks like I should be thinking of investing in a AMF as well, hmm the next piece of my puzzle I guess.

ZMF Ori is 50 ohms but rather low sensitivity but not a complicated load for amps.

Aug 5, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #7 of 18
Almost all planars will need or do much better with a amp.

Aug 6, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #10 of 18
If you are open to a closed headphone, you should look into a Campfire Cascade. Maybe read about it and see what you think. It might work for you.

Thanks serman005!

I have seen some reviews with the Campfire Cascade, but cannot help wondering whether the parts that hold the cans to the headband are made of plastic or metal. If plastic I think this structure might be easy to break. Wonder if somebody who own Campfire Cascade can help out :D.

Aug 6, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #11 of 18
Thanks serman005!

I have seen some reviews with the Campfire Cascade, but cannot help wondering whether the parts that hold the cans to the headband are made of plastic or metal. If plastic I think this structure might be easy to break. Wonder if somebody who own Campfire Cascade can help out :D.

The Cascade is built like a tank! Using common sense and with some care the last thing you need to worry about is the build quality.
Very warm,bassy sound.

Aug 6, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #12 of 18
After buying 2 stax model the Sr-5 and some lambda, an Hifiman He 400, 2 beyerdynamic the Dt-150 and The dt 990, the sublime but inconfortable AKG-340, not easy to drive and tweak, I can assure you that the most extraordinary because of confort and sound is the AKG K701...The ratio sound quality/ price is over the roof...Easy to tweaks +a good amplifier these headphones would be my only one if I had known...All the others are good, only them are more than good on all counts( with the exception of the AKG k 340 for the sublime sound of voice quality but that are difficult to tweaks and drive adequately and are not confortable with a too short cable...)

Forget my suggestion,the K701 are not for outdoor walking....:ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #13 of 18
After buying 2 stax model the Sr-5 and some lambda, an Hifiman He 400, 2 beyerdynamic the Dt-150 and The dt 990, the sublime but inconfortable AKG-340, not easy to drive and tweak, I can assure you that the most extraordinary because of confort and sound is the AKG K701...The ratio sound quality/ price is over the roof...Easy to tweaks +a good amplifier these headphones would be my only one if I had known...All the others are good, only them are more than good on all counts( with the exception of the AKG k 340 for the sublime sound of voice quality but that are difficult to tweaks and drive adequately and are not confortable with a too short cable...)

Forget my suggestion,the K701 are not for outdoor walking....:ksc75smile:

Thanks richard51, will look into it as well.

Aug 7, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #15 of 18
So far I have gotten these ideas:

Audeze LCD2C ~$797
"is very good if you can get over the recessed upper mids" -- FastAndClean
Heard they are heavy and not comfortable for long listening.

ZMF Ori, ~$899.99
"used if need be. It has an Audeze like warmth (amazing bass and mids) but without the problematic upper mids and treble of Audeze. I even preferred it to the Audeze LCD-4 for this reason while I owned both. The Ori is one of few non electrostatic headphones I have used that has no significant treble issues." -- Rhamnetin

Campfire Cascade ~$799
"If you are open to a closed headphone, you should look into a Campfire Cascade." -- serman005

AKG K701 ~$259.89
"confort and sound is the AKG K701...The ratio sound quality/ price is over the roof...Easy to tweaks +a good amplifier these headphones would be my only one if I had known..." -- richard51

Since looking into ZMF Ori, I also looked into Fostex headphones like Fostex TH610, Massdrop x Fostex TR-X00 Ebony Headphones, not sure if anybody has opinions about these :D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back