Looking for good USB soundcard / DAC with 2x RCA
Aug 28, 2008 at 3:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Bencrest

100+ Head-Fier
Basically I'm looking for a decent sound solution for my PC. I currently have an iBasso D2 Boa, but I'm looking for something desktop based, with RCA connectivity, to run into a tube HP amp.

Note that this is for a laptop (Dell D420) so it'll have to be USB 2.0 at the most. All I want is a 'good' line out from it, seeing as how I'll have a seperate amplifier as part of the setup.

Is there any point in bothering with the likes of Creative, or should I go for something from, for example, M-Audio?

Or... failing that... is there a decent USB DAC which has RCA outputs without the amplification stage, which I'm not really interested in?

I don't want to be paying extra for anything I won't need - I don't do gaming, don't care about making my music sound like I have my head underwater, or in a bucket, and don't care about surround sound
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks in advance for any recommendations
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 28, 2008 at 12:44 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by XXII /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's your budget? You have loads of choice!

My budget is basically I'm after 'the cheapest that will do what I need' to be fair. I mean I could stretch to say £100 ($200 ish), and perhaps more, but considering all I want is the RCA out, I don't want to pay more than I need to if I'll be gaining features I won't use.

Aug 30, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidcotton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Trends ud 10?

Cheers, but no RCA outputs
frown.gif

Aug 31, 2008 at 8:16 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bencrest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cheers, but no RCA outputs
frown.gif

Apparantly you can use the headphone socket as a 3.5mm to rca out according to most reviews.

D/A Converters

Theres also the Styleaudio CARAT-UD1 the right side of £100 as well.

Aug 31, 2008 at 10:01 AM Post #10 of 10
Re: using Trends' headphone output as lineout - it'll work, but you'd have crappy frequency cutoff for lineout as the default LPF is set for low impedance headphones.

An alternative is the Twisted Pear USB module where you could just insert your own rated coupling caps, e.g. BG NX Hi Q or maybe a small film.

Other popular suggestions would be the Keces 151 or E-Mu 0202/0404 USB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back