Looking for good portable DIY amp kit/pcb for 80 ohmheadphones (dt770 pro 80)
Oct 16, 2008 at 5:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

massappeal85

100+ Head-Fier
Hi. As the title says I'm looking for a good portable amp kit or PCB that would be good for 80ohm headphones, specifically the Beyer dt770 pro 80s. I'm not really sure where to look or what to look at to know if an amp would be good for my headphones impedance. I'd prefer a kit but a PCB and parts list would be fine too. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Oct 17, 2008 at 2:17 PM Post #3 of 7
There's also the PORTA CORDA III kit from Jan Meier:
Meier-Audio
There's a thread about it at http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/kit...le-amp-346181/

The Mini3 is rechargable. The Corda has a USB DAC option and has a crossfeed circuit.

The Mini3 kit is available as a complete kit: the Corda kit from Jan includes most of the hard-to-find items, but you have to supply the rest of the components.

Good luck!

Oct 17, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #5 of 7
Yep, Mini^3. I'm listening to mine right now.
dt880smile.png

Bought the kit from glassjar audio and used the plastic endplates that come with the Hammond case. I drilled the holes with a step bit, using the template from amb's website.

The only tricky part of the build is the two surface-mount op amps. You'll need a decent soldering iron with a fine tip. I use a Weller WLC100 with a ST6 tip.

Oct 18, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #6 of 7
You can find some decent soldering technique tutorials online that will really help tackle about everything you need for the mini^3.. and some even at getting through the schematics too. Tangents is generally a good place to start, with some great ones! (here, though the site is worth exploring from start), while Ambs site, amb.org, has all the info regarding the mini^3, and more. Loads of info!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back