Looking for good Minimalist Electronica
Aug 9, 2009 at 6:21 AM Post #2 of 23
Try "This Binary Universe," by BT. I picked it up from a recommendation here some time back and absolutely loved it. It still gets regular spins.

BT_-_This_Binary_Universe_album_cover.jpg

Aug 9, 2009 at 12:05 PM Post #4 of 23
Moby has some ambient music that might fit that. For example, there is a 2 CD version of Hotel where the second CD is all ambient.

I'm no expert in electronica. My only electronica is some Moby and some Infected Mushroom.

Aug 9, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try "This Binary Universe," by BT. I picked it up from a recommendation here some time back and absolutely loved it. It still gets regular spins.

did you get the 5.1 version? it's awesome

Aug 9, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #6 of 23
In terms of minimalist electronic music, I would like to point you in the direction of Richard Chartier - especially his earlier works on Line. This is much more abstract than the other music mentioned and maybe a little "out there" for some - but I love it and it's perfect for headphones.

Oh, and it's all easily available on iTunes!

Aug 9, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #8 of 23
"This Binary Universe" by BT, from what I heard on youtube was an outstanding album. Great stuff, I'll definitely be buying this one some time soon.

I couldn't find a darn thing on Kompakt Records, maybe I just suck at finding music. Moby is great, and I feel more inclined to look up more of his stuff now.

As for Richard Chartier, you were right. Some of his stuff is really out there. I'm still looking into it though. Great recommendations all around.

I have a few of my own. Alva Noto is great, especially his works with Ryuichi Sakamoto.

Kashiwa Daisuke has some really good stuff. His album "Program Music I" has only two tracks, but is over an hour long. It has been described as "...a combination of sound and image, rather than probably sound landscape, in terms of itself."

I'll update more recommendations as I remember more artists, or find new ones.

Aug 9, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by seraphjei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"I have a few of my own. Alva Noto is great, especially his works with Ryuichi Sakamoto.

If you like the Raster-Noton type stuff, you may have heard of Ryoji Ikeda, +/- is easily my favourite work of his and his collaboration with Alva as the duo Cyclo is worth a look - although you may have heard these.

Aug 9, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #10 of 23
That BT album should be stickied, I have seen it recommended so much. In fact, each new registerer for Head-Fi, should receive a free Flac copy.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by biologica
Kompakt Records absolutely rules

Yes, it would be among the trinity of minimal house and techno labels along with Perlon and Plus 8.

Minimal and Electronica are such vague terms really. One of the better minimal albums I've heard recently would be Sool by Ellen Allien. It might of been my favoite album last year, though not for everyone. She hooked up with Experimental producer AGF and really went to the mattresses.

Elphine was one of the more easily digestable tracks and cool video for a heahone site:

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Aug 9, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by seraphjei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking for any kind of minimalist techno,trance, or electronica.

Anything like this would be much appreciated.
YouTube - ã€PV】Angel Beats! (エンジェルビーツ) PV第3å¼¾

Here are the must owns in the genre (techno):

1) Plastikman-Musik would be the most popular choice although I think Consumed is the most minimal.
2) Biosphere-both Microgravity and Patashnik are terrific
3) Aphex Twin-Selected Ambient Works 85-92 vol 1-easily my fave minimal album of all time

Let me know how these work out for you and we can then go from here...

Aug 9, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

BT_-_This_Binary_Universe_album_cover.jpg

I am in complete and total agreement here.

Another album you might like is 'the Last Resort' by Trentemoller. It's quite mellow, and at times reminded me of TBU.

Aug 9, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #13 of 23
While I don't prefer the whole Raster sound, I do listen to it from time to time. I haven't heard of Ryoji Ikeda. From what I've heard, it's right up my alley.

I'm going to have to check out Ellen Allien asap. The video you posted sounds great.

I've always dug Aphex Twin, so more of that would be great. I have yet to hear Plastikman, or Biosphere but I'll definitely get around to that some time today and post my thoughts on those.

These are really great recommendations. Any more minimlist sounding artists that incorporates strings and piano would be really appreciated too.

Aug 9, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here are the must owns in the genre (techno):

1) Plastikman-Musik would be the most popular choice although I think Consumed is the most minimal.
2) Biosphere-both Microgravity and Patashnik are terrific
3) Aphex Twin-Selected Ambient Works 85-92 vol 1-easily my fave minimal album of all time

Let me know how these work out for you and we can then go from here...

Totally agree with SAW 85-92 Vol 1. Didn't care for either Microgravity or Musik though!

Aug 9, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #15 of 23
I heartily recommend Pub. My favorite releases are Summer, Do You Ever Regret Pantomime? and The Bunker Sessions.

Another one to try is Jason Corder, who also records as Off The Sky. Try his collaborations with Opium (Thepresentday and Autunno), his colloboration with Beta Two Agonist (Further To Find Closer) and his Off The Sky albums (Gently Down The Stream, It Is Impossible To Say Just What I Mean, The Geist Cycles).

Last but not least (hard to believe no one's mentioned this one yet) is Murcof. All of his releases are worth listening to, in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back