Looking for good iem for audio books
Mar 9, 2019 at 3:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

PapaHet

Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I am listening to audio books when going to bed and I am currently looking for a good iem that does two things in particular very good:

1. Low profile / small & comfy for side sleeping

2. Great sound for audio books / voices

I read a lot about the shure se215 which is told to cover both tasks pretty good. The only thing I am not too sure is it's bass level. I read the bass is a bit pronounced so I don't know how great that'll sound with audio books.

Anyone using this iem for a similar purpose or any other recommendations?

Thanks ✌

Mar 10, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #4 of 14
Mar 10, 2019 at 9:45 AM Post #5 of 14
Thanks for the hint. Any specific models in mind?

If it's just going to be used for audio and or sleeping with then I'd say the base model in either the w range or the um1 which is tiny. I listen (or at least used to listen) to a lot of full cast audio books from the likes of Big Finish and Graphic Audio with full cast and full music. Was fine with the old westone 2 and up (I'm currently on a Custom Art kick atm). You just need good clarity for the voices really.

Mar 11, 2019 at 9:08 AM Post #6 of 14
If it's just going to be used for audio and or sleeping with then I'd say the base model in either the w range or the um1 which is tiny. I listen (or at least used to listen) to a lot of full cast audio books from the likes of Big Finish and Graphic Audio with full cast and full music. Was fine with the old westone 2 and up (I'm currently on a Custom Art kick atm). You just need good clarity for the voices really.
Thanks man! After some investigation I am currently fancying the W10. Sounds they are pretty good with clarity in the mid & treble department. They seem to be lacking some bass but I think that is fine for that very purpose. My DM6 are also not super Bass Heavy. I might give these a try if there ain´t any other recommendations.

Mar 11, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #7 of 14
Thanks man! After some investigation I am currently fancying the W10. Sounds they are pretty good with clarity in the mid & treble department. They seem to be lacking some bass but I think that is fine for that very purpose. My DM6 are also not super Bass Heavy. I might give these a try if there ain´t any other recommendations.

I'd actually look at the um range in all honesty at least for comfort. The w range whilst aimed at consumers have swappable faceplates which have a tendency to rub on ears it seems. That said westone are clearing out generation 1 of their iems so if you do see a bargain then by all means go for it.

Mar 11, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #8 of 14
I second the Westones for audiobooks. They have better clarity than Shures, which will be better for voices. Westone's for music listening are about as engaging and lively as watching paint dry, but their clarity should be excellent for books. They are also quite subtle and comfortable with the bean shape, and their foam tips are very comfortable.

Mar 11, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #9 of 14
Hey guys,

I am listening to audio books when going to bed and I am currently looking for a good iem that does two things in particular very good:

1. Low profile / small & comfy for side sleeping

2. Great sound for audio books / voices

I read a lot about the shure se215 which is told to cover both tasks pretty good. The only thing I am not too sure is it's bass level. I read the bass is a bit pronounced so I don't know how great that'll sound with audio books.

Anyone using this iem for a similar purpose or any other recommendations?

Thanks ✌
Massdrop Nuforce EDC3

Mar 11, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #10 of 14
I'd actually look at the um range in all honesty at least for comfort. The w range whilst aimed at consumers have swappable faceplates which have a tendency to rub on ears it seems. That said westone are clearing out generation 1 of their iems so if you do see a bargain then by all means go for it.
I see - makes sense with those exchangeable faceplate. Does the um10 have a similar amount of clarity as the w10 to be great with voices? I thought I read somewhere they are a bit darker sounding?

Mar 11, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #11 of 14
I see - makes sense with those exchangeable faceplate. Does the um10 have a similar amount of clarity as the w10 to be great with voices? I thought I read somewhere they are a bit darker sounding?
No idea as the only recent westone iem I've heard is the little um1 not to be confused with pro10. Maybe @twister6 could comment here as he is fairly familar with westone. You may well be fine with them, it's just that one of the comments was that the faceplates could make them a little bulky.

Mar 11, 2019 at 6:00 PM Post #12 of 14
I second the Westones for audiobooks. They have better clarity than Shures, which will be better for voices. Westone's for music listening are about as engaging and lively as watching paint dry, but their clarity should be excellent for books. They are also quite subtle and comfortable with the bean shape, and their foam tips are very comfortable.
Which one can you recommend? W series or um series?

Mar 11, 2019 at 6:06 PM Post #13 of 14
Which one can you recommend? W series or um series?

Back when I has a Westone W3, I would have recommended that, since the body was a single piece of molded plastic. However, I think the points brought up regarding the comfort from the removable faceplate are valid, and therefore the UM10 looks like it may be the better solution.

As a cheaper alternative with removable cables, the MEElectronics M6 Pro would be quite good as well. Not too good for music listening, but great clarity. The comfort was quite bad with memory wire, but it may be better with a memory wire-less cable.

Mar 12, 2019 at 8:57 AM Post #14 of 14
Thank you all. This really is not an easy choice especially when there is no much options to hear them upfront.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back