Looking for good Chinese female pop
Feb 16, 2005 at 7:06 PM Post #16 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by YamiTenshi
eek.gif
I never even knew she was apart of a band before she had a solo career. Thanks for the info I'm going to have to check up on it.
icon10.gif

As for Teresa Teng... I find her voice a little too high pitch at times. The rest of the time it just seems too soft and gentle. I listen to her whenever my parents put in one of her cds, but I wouldn't do it myself.
rolleyes.gif

Regarding Asian female vocalists, and I am not completely certain, but I believe a high pitch female voice is preferred by the target audience. I don't find Teresa Teng's voice to be high pitch....and I agree she seems too soft and gentle. However, it's that "softness" that makes her voice sound effortless. If one wants power and sense of energy from an Asian female vocalist, Teresa Teng is not one to listen to.

Feb 16, 2005 at 7:09 PM Post #17 of 35
i think it's just kind of the 'stereotype voice', like how 90% of american and british male singers - no matter what type of band - sing in a slightly nasal, artifically high pitched voice with a mid-atlantic accent. Probably for no particular reason other than everyone else does it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 16, 2005 at 7:16 PM Post #18 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamWill
i think it's just kind of the 'stereotype voice', like how 90% of american and british male singers - no matter what type of band - sing in a slightly nasal, artifically high pitched voice with a mid-atlantic accent. Probably for no particular reason other than everyone else does it.
smily_headphones1.gif

But I think the preferrence of high pitch Asian female voice goes deeper than that. With Western pop music, I can hear all types of voices, but not in Chinese pop. With few exceptions....Julie So comes to mind though.

Feb 16, 2005 at 7:22 PM Post #19 of 35
Another vote for Teresa Teng, btw you might want to look for Sally Yeh. She got a good voice.

edit: If you want catchy pop song, Jolin might be a good enough.

Feb 16, 2005 at 7:38 PM Post #20 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by RYCeT
Another vote for Teresa Teng, btw you might want to look for Sally Yeh. She got a good voice.

edit: If you want catchy pop song, Jolin might be a good enough.

Second Sally Yeh.

Feb 16, 2005 at 11:40 PM Post #21 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy
But I think the preferrence of high pitch Asian female voice goes deeper than that. With Western pop music, I can hear all types of voices, but not in Chinese pop. With few exceptions....Julie So comes to mind though.

I'll try to keep this as far from a rant as I can...
rolleyes.gif

I think its a bad stereotype that has been created for Chinese music (mostly Hong Kong). During the early and mid 90s they found a formula that worked for getting female (and I guess males too) singers popular and they just stuck with it. There has been very little change in Chinese music in the last 10 years or so... anyone that does anything different can't get famous (there are a few exceptions
rolleyes.gif
). Sure, you can say that some things have changed in 10 years, but the bases of their music, voices, song lyrics, and quality in general hasn't improved. *sigh*

And I already recommended Sally Yeh.
icon10.gif

Feb 16, 2005 at 11:42 PM Post #22 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by YamiTenshi
I'll try to keep this as far from a rant as I can...
rolleyes.gif

I think its a bad stereotype that has been created for Chinese music (mostly Hong Kong). During the early and mid 90s they found a formula that worked for getting female (and I guess males too) singers popular and they just stuck with it. There has been very little change in Chinese music in the last 10 years or so... anyone that does anything different can't get famous (there are a few exceptions
rolleyes.gif
). Sure, you can say that some things have changed in 10 years, but the bases of their music, voices, song lyrics, and quality in general hasn't improved. *sigh*

And I already recommended Sally Yeh.
icon10.gif

I agree. No wonder I stopped buying HK pop albums after about 1992.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 18, 2005 at 1:06 AM Post #24 of 35
I like Faye Wong, Sammi Cheng, Coco Lee (she's not as haunting as Faye), Gigi Leung, Anita Mui and yes, Teresa Teng.

Faye Wong has a Teresa Teng CD that was released as a Chinese release (ie. Not in Hong Kong). I found it in a music store in NYC that had some China based recordings.

For the guy singers, I think Andy Lau is pretty good.

Feb 18, 2005 at 3:25 AM Post #25 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by braincuttermd
For the guy singers, I think Andy Lau is pretty good.

I can't agree with that. Wang Chie, Jacky Cheung and Emil Chow are so much better.

Feb 18, 2005 at 5:45 AM Post #26 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by RYCeT
I can't agree with that. Wang Chie, Jacky Cheung and Emil Chow are so much better.

I can't agree with that neither, with the exception of Emil Chow. Last Sunday, I attended a concert of Kenny Bee's, and believe me, Jacky Cheung pales next to this man. No wonder I've been a fan since the 70s.

Harlem Yu is highly recommended as well.

Feb 18, 2005 at 5:44 PM Post #27 of 35
Jacky Cheung and Andy Lau (and let's throw in Leon Lai and Aaron Kwok while we're at it
rolleyes.gif
) are more like entertainers then singers... they try to do anything and everything that will get their names out there. You can't really blame them because in the Hong Kong market you have to be known to get anywhere (there is no such thing as bad publicity
rolleyes.gif
). I have some of their songs, and I do enjoy listening to them sometime, but it gets boring really fast when most of the songs are about falling in love and the rest are about falling out of love. Musically I don't think any of them are that talented, they pretty much take any music/song lyrics that is written for them and sing it, very little creativity on their part as "artists".
mad.gif
(Yes, I know that some of them do help with the writing process sometimes, but the majority of their songs were done by other people.)

Feb 27, 2005 at 12:40 AM Post #28 of 35
another chick you might give a spin is zhao zhibi, former lead singer of the taiwan rock band scrap metal. her debut solo album is between you and the sky/在你和天空之间.

Feb 27, 2005 at 5:28 PM Post #29 of 35
Chai Qing is a good alto singer. Her Gold Disc (jazz remakes of cgolden oldies) is fantastic. Another good alto is Anita Mui. I like her old stuff better and she can sing with attitude.

I like Faye Wong, although her music is not so interesting lately. But I still prefer her voice to many others. I like Stephanie Sun voice (even though her singing doesn't seem to suit her voice in my opinion) but never liked her music. Another one is Amei.

For classics, you can try Teresa Teng and Tracy Huang. Tracy back catalog doesn't seem to be good as Teresa's one but her voice is really nice.

Regarding SHE, I'm never into them but I did watch several of their videos just for fun. I notice the butch looking one ( xcuse me
frown.gif
) seems to be the only one who sounds like she might have a good voice? I dunno, the other 2 seems so blah.....this is just based on few minutes impression though.

Apr 20, 2005 at 7:56 PM Post #30 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by mysticaldodo
Regarding SHE, I'm never into them but I did watch several of their videos just for fun. I notice the butch looking one ( xcuse me
frown.gif
) seems to be the only one who sounds like she might have a good voice? I dunno, the other 2 seems so blah.....this is just based on few minutes impression though.

I know who you're talking about, she is also the one who gets the least amount of attention. She has a more soulful voice, but strays off tune all too easily. As a whole, they've either all improved by leaps and bounds, or technology has improved their music for them.

I'm listening to Coco Lee's new album right now (Exposed) -- Magic Words is a good song, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back