Looking for good Chinese female pop
Feb 14, 2005 at 12:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

coolguy

New Head-Fier
I'm a big fan of Stefanie Sun (or Sun Yan Zi in Chinese) but except for Faye Wong, I don't know any other good female Chinese singers. Any recommendations for good, melodic, contemporary, female Chinese pop?
Thanks a lot.

Feb 14, 2005 at 8:27 PM Post #2 of 35
What's your favourite Stephanie Sun? I can never decide between My Desired Happiness and Leave...

Feb 14, 2005 at 9:18 PM Post #3 of 35
Well, not exactly what you're looking for, but Cibo Matto has a good Japanese singer. I like their music a lot. Specifically, "clouds" has the best bass line I've ever heard.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 14, 2005 at 10:45 PM Post #4 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamWill
What's your favourite Stephanie Sun? I can never decide between My Desired Happiness and Leave...

Her latest album "Stefanie" is very good, especially track 4. My favourite album, it's hard to say because there are a few really good ones. I like the "Start" live album and also "The Moment". Of course, Leave is also great. My Desired Happiness I thought was Ok but not as good as the others. Kite is another good one.

high, thanks for the tip, I'll try to check it out sometime.

Feb 15, 2005 at 12:29 AM Post #5 of 35
Since music by Chinese female vocalists is far and away what I listen to most these days, I can offer a few suggestions.

First is 梁静茹 (Fish Leong), whose music I've come to absolutely love (it's not surprising that I have a song by her in my sig)... I would recommend her "best of" album, 恋爱的力量 (The Power of Love Songs) without hesistation.

Who else? Faye Wong and Stef Sun I both listen to quite a bit of... 梁詠琪 (Gigi Leung) is still a favorite, though I haven't listened to her music all that much lately. 許茹芸 (Valen Hsu) has a voice that I absolutely adore, and 那英 (Natasha Na) is of course a staple of Chinese female singers, along with 林憶蓮 (Sandy Lam) and 梅艷芳 (Anita Mui, who passed away last year), though I don't care for those latter two's music all that much.

And then there are the bands, like Twins or S.H.E, though I still hold their popularity is mostly attributed to reasons other than their vocal ability. F.I.R.飞儿乐团 is a new group that's getting pretty popular, and features a female lead singer... I'm not crazy about most of their songs though (Fly Away is pretty good, though Fish has a song by the same name which I infinitely prefer...
tongue.gif
)

~KS

EDIT: OK, apparently the MacOS X/Safari system I'm using on-campus doesn't have Chinese support installed... all the Chinese characters have been turned to question marks. I'll have to fix it later when I get home.

EDIT 2: There we go.

Feb 15, 2005 at 6:04 AM Post #10 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by xxhotchikxx
None of them, they all suck.

You're quite close....almost all of them suck.

If you are looking for a female vocalist for Cantonese pop, Denise Ho is quite good. Unfortunately, the music often is not up to her vocal capability. Reminds me of the young Sammi Cheng....ahhhh, them good old days.

And despite my signature, I am not endorsing Kelly Chen.

Feb 15, 2005 at 6:12 PM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy
And despite my signature, I am not endorsing Kelly Chen.

There is nothing wrong with Kelly Chen... except that she can't carry a note, has almost no range, and has no emotion in her voice when she sings..... hm, kinda reminds me of her acting skills...
rolleyes.gif

The Hong Kong music industry has become really sad in the past few years. Artists are getting record deals based on looks and popularity, not talent (Edison Chen, Twins, Cecelia Cheung, Shawn Yue, the list goes on...) :end rant:

Anyway back on topic, my recommendations would have to go to Joey Yung, Sammi Cheng and Sally Yeh. I like Gigi Leung's songs, but it always seems like she's running out of breath so that bothers me. Candy Lo has a nice voice, but I don't really like her songs (except a few)
rolleyes.gif
. Sandy Lam and Anita Mui are good but their music is a little older if you don't mind.

Them good old days.... I feel so old....
frown.gif

Feb 15, 2005 at 6:56 PM Post #12 of 35
The only recommendations I can make, based on my wife's tastes (she's from Beijing): Teresa Teng (surprised no one's mentioned her yet) and Na Ying.

Feb 15, 2005 at 10:17 PM Post #13 of 35
oh yeah, I forgot Sammi, she's got class.

faye wong is great, though. she seems to be the only one who has any kind of personality, actual interest in *music*, and interest in writing something that's not Generic Hong Kong Pop Song #9,654523342,214432141. The opening half of Fable in particular isn't just good for the singing, the music is really good quality too.

Feb 16, 2005 at 6:41 AM Post #14 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dixie Flatline
The only recommendations I can make, based on my wife's tastes (she's from Beijing): Teresa Teng (surprised no one's mentioned her yet) and Na Ying.

Teresa Teng??!! She's not exactly comtemporary to those who post here, but she's the "holy grail" of all Chinese female vocalist. Anyone interested in Chinese pop has to have a disc or two of hers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by YamiTenshi
Candy Lo has a nice voice, but I don't really like her songs (except a few)

I almost forget her. Any comments on her Black & Blue songs? Black & Blue was the band she fronted in the mid 90s before she went solo and mainstream.

Feb 16, 2005 at 5:20 PM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy
Teresa Teng??!! She's not exactly comtemporary to those who post here, but she's the "holy grail" of all Chinese female vocalist. Anyone interested in Chinese pop has to have a disc or two of hers.

I almost forget her. Any comments on her Black & Blue songs? Black & Blue was the band she fronted in the mid 90s before she went solo and mainstream.

eek.gif
I never even knew she was apart of a band before she had a solo career. Thanks for the info I'm going to have to check up on it.
icon10.gif

As for Teresa Teng... I find her voice a little too high pitch at times. The rest of the time it just seems too soft and gentle. I listen to her whenever my parents put in one of her cds, but I wouldn't do it myself.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back