Looking for good build project
Sep 29, 2009 at 9:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

FOXY

100+ Head-Fier
Looking for good build project, like amplifier/pre amplifier.

That will work with 2X18V 2000mAH transformer.

Any advice on schematics will greatly appreciated.

Sep 29, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #2 of 18
That's a first - building an amp around a transformer.
tongue.gif

Might want to state budget, expected use - headphones/pre-amp/poweramp, tube vs solid-state vs hybrid considerations, etc.

Sep 29, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #3 of 18
The transformer gathering dust for months .. Better to build something with it than to throw trash.

Budget is less than 100$

pre amplifier with musical tube sound would be great.

Sep 29, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's a first - building an amp around a transformer.
tongue.gif

Kind of reminds me of that Kohler ad.

Where the couple are being walked through some prestigious architectural firm by some highly pretentious German architect. They get to his office and he asks "And now, what can we do for you?"

The wife pulls a Kohler faucet out of her purse, plunks it down on the table, and says "Design a house around this."

atsmile.gif

k

Sep 29, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by FOXY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
pre amplifier with musical tube sound would be great.

Do you actually need amplification? And are you wanting to use actual tubes or do you just want something that sounds good and musical?

k

Sep 29, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #6 of 18
Tubes don't necessarily sound "good", nor "musical" - is that even a "sound signature"?
tongue.gif

Oh well, anyway - there aren't many tube designs that go at that price, and most don't run those voltages. Just to share something with you - you can recreate the sound of most tube amps by simply sticking a cheap electrolytic cap on the output, sized a little smaller than required to distort the low end frequencies and muddy the highs to get that "warm, sweet tube sound".
wink.gif

Sep 29, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Koyaan I. Sqatsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are you wanting to use actual tubes or do you just want something that sounds good and musical?

k

It does not matter to me, the Preamplifier could be SS or hybrid.
Exactly.

Sep 29, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Exactly

Ok.

So as to my other question, do you need any actual amplification? Or would a simple buffered attenuator do?

k

Sep 30, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Ok.

So as to my other question, do you need any actual amplification? Or would a simple buffered attenuator do?

k

Yes, I need better control on volume.

Sep 30, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Yes, I need better control on volume.

So with your current setup, if you have the volume all the way up, it's still not loud enough?

Sorry if this seems like a silly question, but I just want to be sure exactly what it is you're needing.

k

Sep 30, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...you can recreate the sound of most tube amps by simply sticking a cheap electrolytic cap on the output, sized a little smaller than required to distort the low end frequencies and muddy the highs to get that "warm, sweet tube sound".
wink.gif

Scandalous!

Sep 30, 2009 at 7:39 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

So with your current setup, if you have the volume all the way up, it's still not loud enough?

Sorry if this seems like a silly question, but I just want to be sure exactly what it is you're needing.

k

Gamma 1 DAC - integrated amplifier - VS spekers.

The problem is with the low volume,
I have to set the amplifier to Minimum and then again in windows.

And it pretty interesting what wiil be the contribution of pre amplifier to current setup.

Sep 30, 2009 at 7:58 AM Post #14 of 18
Another thing to set to minimum?

I don't know what VS speakers (google shows a lot of 'versus', not much VS) are but it sounds like they're either really sensitive or your amp has too much gain...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back