Looking for good bass, very forgiving headphones
Mar 16, 2002 at 10:44 PM Post #16 of 25
wow, u guys respond quick! I guess there's a lot of confusion on my original post so i'll try to clear things up. 1) I dont play the gameboy on the go, only by my bedside before i go to sleep ( it burns my eyes lookin at the gba screen when its not DIRECTLY under a light) so the size of the hp890 isnt a concern 2) i dont own the sony V6 but i do own the koss ksc-35. 3) When i say 'noisy' i mean that my sources contain some electronical interference, not that my environment is noisy, so i have no prefrence from open or closed cans. I also listen to music mostly to MP3's (128 kbps and up to 128-360 vbr). Thanks for the quick response!

Mar 16, 2002 at 11:46 PM Post #17 of 25
I just read the review of the sennhieser hd280 and those seem interesting as well. Can someone compare the bass of these to the hd280's and also tell me if the hd280's would work well w/ poorer sources?

Mar 17, 2002 at 1:01 AM Post #18 of 25
Ah, sorry for the misunderstanding. In that case, forget the V6 AND the HD280, and stick with your Koss. The Denons may also be an answer for you.

Best of luck in your search!

Mar 17, 2002 at 6:39 AM Post #19 of 25
Hi Ahdat!

I have the V6s, the Denon 550s. and the 280s. The V6 and the Denons cost roughly the same ($55-60) and the V6 sounds better. The 280s sound very good as well, but go for $100. I think your best bet is the V6 here, if you're budget minded. The complication is that the 280s (unlike the Sonys) are quite forgiving of poorly recorded music, which may help with your game boy needs. Bass is quite well done on the Sonys and the Senns, with the Senns getting a very slight nod for overall superiority. Impedance on the v6s and 280s is roughly the same, 63 vs 64 ohms, meaning they can both be driven nicely by portable devices. Moral of the tale? You won't go wrong with the Sonys but if you want the best possible sound in your price range get the 280s.

Mar 18, 2002 at 8:52 AM Post #24 of 25
yea i read everything there is to read about these two cans already, but i would like a more of an a-b comparison. Deep bass and detailed mids for one phone may sound weak and muddy when directly compared to another. My main concerns right now are that the hp890 wont have as deep bass as the hd280's because they are open and also that the 280's will sound too analytical and not vary spacious because of its closed nature. Man i wish i could just audition these myself. Hopefully Virgin Megastore will have em.

Mar 18, 2002 at 2:38 PM Post #25 of 25
Hi Ahdat---

I don't own the 890s, but as I listen to the 280s more and more, I feel they are much more musical than the V6s, though also capable of being used for careful monitoring of music; the 280s in effect have the both of best worlds.

I would say the following should decide you on 280 or 890:
1) location. If you are in the US, your only source to get the 890s would be to order from Jan Meier in Germany. This will cost you about $115 and a 3 week wait. If your local Virgin has the 280s, you can get em for $99 (plus tax) and can bring them back easily if there is something wrong or if you just don't like them. If you are outside the U.S., and can get the 890s more cheaply and/or easily than the 280s, than that should decide you.
2) portability. If you ever want to use your phones outside the house, the 280s are lighter, smaller and fold up. On the other hand, if your sole intended use is the house, than the Philips would look nice with their headphone stand.
3) need for isolation. If you need isolation from your surroundings, get the 280s. Otherwise, open headphones for the same price (i.e. the Philips) will probably sound better (though I am generalizing here as I have not yet heard the 890s)

Ultimately, if you don't mind the international ordering, don't need portable phones, and don't need isolation get the 890s. I don't think you could really go wrong with either phone. The only criticisms of the 890s have come from a few audiophiles who have collections of much more expensive cans, and the only criticism of the 280s seems to have been based on very early models of the phones that have later been modified.

Let us know what you decide and how you like your purchase!

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back