Looking for general use headphones with high portability around $400
Jun 17, 2015 at 3:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

GWeizman

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

So I'm on the market for some new headphones after my SE425 sadly stopped working. I previously owned both them and the ATH-AD700 (Both of which I absolutely loved).
My listening range is quite broad, so I'm looking for relatively 'neutral' phones, though I'm leaning towards something more V-Shaped.
To help you help me, I'll clarify on the intended uses:

First of all, the least important ones -
1. Movies and TV - Nothing special required here. I do like to really 'get into' my movies, so a broad soundstage and some bass would be nice.
2. Gaming - I don't play tons of FPS, but I do always play with TeamSpeak (LoL, Diablo, etc.), if that changes anything (emphasis on mid? sound separation? I honestly don't know)

Secondly, music - I listen to a lot of genres, but I'll try to list the main ones with some examples, I'll also try to order them by rarity.
1. Metal - mainly symphonic (Nightwish) and power (Blind Guardian, Iced Earth, Sonata Arctica), though also progressive (Dream Theater) and oriental (Orphaned Land, although their genre isn't quite defined)
2. Rock - mainly classic (Led Zeppelin, Queen, Beatles, etc.), but also hard rock (Guns, I guess), punk (Flogging Molly) and what would probably be defined as post-rock (Hammock, GiaA)
3. Electronic - Psychedelic (Infected Mushroom), Prodigy (Who's genre I, again, can't quite define)
4. Pop - Everything you would imagine, mainly through youtube and no high quality sources here.
I obviously forgot some things here, but I hope the general idea is clear.
Other than pop, I mainly hold high-quality mp3s (320kbps), might go for more if I feel that's needed.

So, things that are really important to me -
Great trebles and bass, for all the symphonic and electronic stuff. Mids are important, but less.
The widest sound-stage possible. This is probably the most important thing I feel I need, for both music and movies.
Portability and isolation - I'm spending most of my day either on the road or in the office, and even when I'm home I have roommates. So I need something I can take with me everywhere and with the least possible sound leakage. I know this goes against the sound-stage, but sadly this one is a must.

My budget is around the $350-400 mark, and I'll buy them in the US (although I'm not American, so this is a one-shot - I won't be able to easily send anything back). My main options right now are the Momentum 2 (wired) and the Shure SE535 (which I can probably get for 380$ @ md).
Source, at the moment, is my computer (No dedicated soundcard as far as I can tell, so whatever's embedded on the Intel HM87). Thinking about getting a FiiO X3ii in the near future, but that's a separate thread.

So.. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Jun 18, 2015 at 6:30 AM Post #2 of 2
We've not long had the Oppo PM-3 here (a review should be going up in the review section of our site today) and they are excellent at practically everything and can go anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back