Looking for "fun" headphones to complement HD600
Jan 28, 2013 at 2:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

MikeP1985

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

I'm looking for headphones that are as good as my HD600s but with a different sound signature. I'm willing to spend up to $350 and I would prefer portable headphones that dont require an amp. I have a Bottlehead Crack Tube Amp that works perfectly with the HD600s but supposedly is not good for low impedance cans. I've realized that I am somewhat of a basshead, so I'm looking for  closed-back headphones that have more energy and bass than the HD600. I'm willing to sacrifice soundstage and accuracy for a more "fun" full sound. I may actually be a treblehead too because I find myself using the treble booster EQ setting when listening to my Ipod. Ive auditioned a few headphones at best buy, which is the only place around for me to do so, and the only one worthy of what I'm looking for (and actually sounded very good) was the Bowers and Wilkins P5. It is my #1 choice right now, #2 being buying another full sized headphone such as the Beyerdynamic DT990 pro (I know they're open headphones) which would be another good match with my Bottlehead amp. I'm also very interested in hearing more about if the V-Moda M80, Sennheiser Amperior/Momentum, Ultrasone HFI 580/680/780, Philips Fidelio L1, or any other portable no-amp-required  headphones that would be more suited to what I'm looking for. I mostly listen to hard rock and guitar driven jazz and blues, but also like the occasional electronic/dubstep to hear what kind of amazing sounds my headphones are capable of. Also would like to find a good headphone for watching movies and playing video games. I know its a lot to cover but I'm trying to get in the research and hear some opinions to make a good purchase. Thanks.

Jan 31, 2013 at 12:49 AM Post #3 of 18
Bump... bump bump it up. Man, my first thread post ever and I cant get a response from someone whos listened to any of the other portables? Im no noob. I hate the Beats by Dre like the rest of you. Just looking for the best portable option for a fun, musical sound thats forgiving of 128kb and 256kb tracks like the B and W P5. If there are no better options, I'll go with them. I have all I need for sound stage and accuracy with the HD600 and Bottlehead Crack combo. Also looking for a good USB Dac to pair with my setup if anyone has a <$400 recommendation that suits my tight bass and more aggressive sound needs.

Jan 31, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #5 of 18
The Denon D600 is closed back headphones with great punchy bass, extended highs and detailed midrange and sound very good out of any DAPs like iPods, Clip+. V-Moda M80 offers tight punchy bass (lot more amount than P5), great midrange and detailed highs but not extended. Sony MA900 is amazing sounding fullsize open headphones with deep punchy bass and overall crisp clear sounding and no need of AMPs help to sound loud and clear. Also Ultrasone Pro900(bassy with surround sound type soundstage amazing for electronic genres music), Fidelio L1 (deep tight bass and overall crisp clear sounding), Amperior (very good sounding similar to P5 in term of soundsignature but more comfy and last long) are great buy over P5.

Jan 31, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #7 of 18
Loved the styling of the P5 but found the sound lackluster to my ears.

D600s are a blast and definitely a cheap pick up now compared to their MSRP of $500.

Momentums do a lot of things right and I have no significant complaints with them. Fit has been an issue with some. Apple store has these for demo, good idea to try for yourself.

V-Moda 80 is probably worthy of consideration for the genres you listed so long as you don't mind on-ear headphones.

I haven't liked any of the mid-range Ultrasones I've tried so far.

Jan 31, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #8 of 18
Thanks for the info. May look into the D600s and try to audition the Momentum and Amperior/HD25. I was very interested in the Amperior but i heard they are pretty neutral and im trying to stay away from neutral for my second headphone purchase. But if the sound signature is close to the P5s with tighter bass and a faster pace then I feel like they may be perfect. Maybe I liked the P5s so much because I was auditioning them next to the stinkin Beats, Monsters, and Skullcandys. I also thought the P5s had a nice musical, colored sound compared to my HD600s which do good recordings of slower music so well but are very unforgiving of crappy recordings. With my portable I just wanna be able to enjoy some music off my ipod/galaxy s3 with good punchy bass and a full sound without being analytical. EKE2k6, im sure I would love the DT880s but I feel like they would be a little too similar to the HD600s and still too "reference" for me.

Jan 31, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #9 of 18
Look at the M-100! HFI-580 would be great too if you want to save a couple bucks. 

Check out Westone 3 for ultimate portability. 

Jan 31, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #12 of 18
Hey Mike,

I would recommend the Momentum - they are quite a fun listen, with a nice, mild bass emphasis, and a surprisingly detailed treble, it's just laid-back (I think the Momentum responds well to EQ though if you want to boost that). If they fit your ears, their sound is kind of 'do-no-wrong' for most people. I liked everything about the P5 (including their balanced sound and great isolation) except the 'stuffiness' of the sound; the soundstage was cramped imo - that might have been the seal of the pads on my ears.

I think Radioshack carries the V-Moda range if you want to audition them, but I'm not sure when the M100 will be on demo. I was in the US recently and only saw the M80 on display. The M100 is the funnest of fun headphones, or so I've read - I would like to try them someday too. Good luck!

Jan 31, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #13 of 18
I'd be interested in this too, I think the DT880s are a good choice but I'd like a closed can. I had the M100 from Vmoda but returned it, that was before I got the HD600s. My next closed portable will be the M100 or the MDR-1R

Jan 31, 2013 at 5:05 PM Post #14 of 18
Can I ask why you returned the M100? And are your thoughts on the HD600 the same as mine? ( perfect on slower music but too analytical and slow for fast paced music) I dont want people thinking I dont love the HD600s, because they are amazing and I would never trade them in. I just want a completely different sound on my second purchase so that I dont have two headphones that sound similar for everything. Im gonna have to head to my local radioshack and see if I can try out the M80/M100.

Jan 31, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:
Can I ask why you returned the M100? And are your thoughts on the HD600 the same as mine? ( perfect on slower music but too analytical and slow for fast paced music) I dont want people thinking I dont love the HD600s, because they are amazing and I would never trade them in. I just want a completely different sound on my second purchase so that I dont have two headphones that sound similar for everything. Im gonna have to head to my local radioshack and see if I can try out the M80/M100.

Well I originally returned the M100s because they have a rather V shaped signature, this wasn't what I was looking for when I got them. I was looking for the sound of the HD600s. Now that I've found that sound with the 600s I would go back and get the M-100s for sure. Grab the M100 over the M80, you'll be glad you did and I'm sure you'll realize that if you try them out at radioshack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back