Looking for ( found )"end game" headphones in 2K ± price range.
Mar 27, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #1,261 of 1,473
Random thought. Random tracks.

Test your sub bass with these two tracks:

Start from those time stamps
06A389EA-CE9D-489F-B2D7-0E214565C6BC.jpeg

Entire track isn’t bad but deep bass is really at the end of the track. 4:10 or 15. Don’t remember exactly.
0E519257-9332-4A93-B6D5-D5488B26C2E5.jpeg

I hate this track as it confuses the heck out of me. But I use it for testing imaging and soundstage (sometimes).
388922B4-70DF-47BF-8653-6E19114DE28D.jpeg

You can almost feel her breath on ADX5Ks. If I only knew what she was singing about?
37F1A92C-31AE-44A5-8C07-2643770A0891.jpeg
CCB074DE-F96D-4279-ABE3-AAE1721EE278.jpeg
Hey, those first three tracks have become a standard of mine! Amazing tracks. Happy to see that somebody else recognized the great sub-quality in the Theme for The Irishman.

Hans Zimmer's track however never disappoints.

As I'm still constantly following this thread, I have to tell you all that you are doing a great job at keeping this as one of the best threads on this forum. Thank you for that!

Mar 27, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #1,262 of 1,473
Looking like a proper 800 series setup that I could recommend blindly without even hearing it. Lol
Glad you found this gem to reinvigorate your love for 800 classics.

8XX would make you a legit 800 aficionado. :wink:
Not sure I can get past the blue ring on the HD8xx styling 🤣

Mar 27, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #1,263 of 1,473
Not sure I can get past the blue ring on the HD8xx styling 🤣
It will match your new amp. Come ON...... :wink:
Tuning might be more my way. Price is better. But I am not convinced. Plus, dealing with usual DrOpBs would test my patience.

Mar 27, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #1,264 of 1,473
Hey, those first three tracks have become a standard of mine! Amazing tracks. Happy to see that somebody else recognized the great sub-quality in the Theme for The Irishman.

Hans Zimmer's track however never disappoints.

As I'm still constantly following this thread, I have to tell you all that you are doing a great job at keeping this as one of the best threads on this forum. Thank you for that!
Thanks But those were borrowed from somebody. I don’t remember...... could have been you? Lol
Irishman is OK for the most part but really deep bass comes at the end. Wish it was more of it.
Open to any topic is the theme of this game. So don’t be shy and use this thread as if it was yours.

Mar 27, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #1,265 of 1,473
It will match your new amp. Come ON...... :wink:
Tuning might be more my way. Price is better. But I am not convinced. Plus, dealing with usual DrOpBs would test my patience.
It won't match my amp though

It has a navy blue ring, amp is electric blue big difference

If you listen to the 800S on my equipment combo you might like it better than what you have now. It's hard to say what tuning you would like when the 800S is so incredibly amp sensitive. Getting the hd800 with the right gear has been a large multi-year project of mine but wow I can't imagine it sounding better now

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #1,266 of 1,473
It won't match my amp though

It has a navy blue ring, amp is electric blue big difference

If you listen to the 800S on my equipment combo you might like it better than what you have now. It's hard to say what tuning you would like when the 800S is so incredibly amp sensitive. Getting the hd800 with the right gear has been a large multi-year project of mine but wow I can't imagine it sounding better now
It’s a strong possibility that I would like that. Would I preferred it over my setup with ADX5K +Tubes+DAC? That’s impossible to answer without direct A/B.
I am however interested how your amplifier would sound with ADX5Ks? Both headphones scale to a great degree with components of various quality, topology and refinement.
So it’s safe to say that differences between our amps would be clearly on display in chain with ADX or HD8s.

Just like you, I have been and still am trying to optimize playback chain to benefit strengths and weaknesses of ADX5K (and other headphones).

And everything seems to matter. Some things less so. Other things change things dramatically.

I don’t want to get on the frustration tantrum or dwindle my post more then it already has, but.
I feel that basic issues I found with various headphones, could and can be addressed with tuning and more appropriate pads.
Problem with that is time and resources it requires. So I kind of understand why hitting a bullseye on the first trial is almost impossible. That’s why we have so many revisions of HD800 series, LCDX, Hifiman, retuned Focals etc.
And those revisions are usually customer/industry driven.
And it costs money. To us and them.

Mar 29, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #1,267 of 1,473
It’s a strong possibility that I would like that. Would I preferred it over my setup with ADX5K +Tubes+DAC? That’s impossible to answer without direct A/B.
I am however interested how your amplifier would sound with ADX5Ks? Both headphones scale to a great degree with components of various quality, topology and refinement.
So it’s safe to say that differences between our amps would be clearly on display in chain with ADX or HD8s.

Just like you, I have been and still am trying to optimize playback chain to benefit strengths and weaknesses of ADX5K (and other headphones).

And everything seems to matter. Some things less so. Other things change things dramatically.

I don’t want to get on the frustration tantrum or dwindle my post more then it already has, but.
I feel that basic issues I found with various headphones, could and can be addressed with tuning and more appropriate pads.
Problem with that is time and resources it requires. So I kind of understand why hitting a bullseye on the first trial is almost impossible. That’s why we have so many revisions of HD800 series, LCDX, Hifiman, retuned Focals etc.
And those revisions are usually customer/industry driven.
And it costs money. To us and them.
It would be an interesting test and who knows I might like it more. But if I bought another expensive headphone it would probably be something way different than the hd800s like the zmf verite or grado gs3000. No store exists that has my dac/amp chain so not much point in store demo of other headphones.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #1,268 of 1,473
It would be an interesting test and who knows I might like it more. But if I bought another expensive headphone it would probably be something way different than the hd800s like the zmf verite or grado gs3000. No store exists that has my dac/amp chain so not much point in store demo of other headphones.
Auditions are useful given a possibility. But in some cases, not very telling. Our headphones will support that case. However, I would still go with in-person audition over most trusted self proclaimed “guru” out there.
ZMF seems like an interesting headphones that could provide some contrast to sound signatures we are familiar with. Love the craftsmanship.
Certainly a pride for people behind those headphones.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #1,269 of 1,473
Dear guys, have you listened to this marvellous album? I found it today and listened to it briefly, while browsing youtube and loved it. I have to thank again @Chris Kaoss to suggest me to look for new artists, but also new albums from bands that I really love.

Not all is metal, right now I'm enjoying a lot "Michael Jackson - Dangerous" with the Denon AH-D9200s :L3000:

Mar 30, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #1,270 of 1,473
Dear guys, have you listened to this marvellous album? I found it today and listened to it briefly, while browsing youtube and loved it. I have to thank again @Chris Kaoss to suggest me to look for new artists, but also new albums from bands that I really love.

Not all is metal, right now I'm enjoying a lot "Michael Jackson - Dangerous" with the Denon AH-D9200s :L3000:

Seems that you’re not suffering from buyer’s remorse. Glad those Denons work for you.
It has been a while since I have listen to M.Jackson.
Maybe I should give it a try.

Apr 1, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #1,271 of 1,473
As you know I’ll be shopping around for CB headphones in 2021.
Audeze announced upgraded drivers/pads for LCD-X and LCD-XC that makes them a lot closer to Harman curve and supposedly, they don’t need much of any EQ.
At $1299 for LCD-XC, I’m tempted.
That’s half of ZMF and Stellia.
To upgrade my open back 2020 LCDX version to 2021 LCDX would cost $600. For extra $700, I get properly tuned closed backs and extra drivers in case my LCDX die lol.
Ppl I trust love these appropriately tuned LCD-XC. Even those who used to complaint about weight.......
So freakn tempting. :frowning2:
I’m just afraid that Focal, Abyss and yes Audeze will come out with something even better.
I just can’t imagine it being a better value.

Apr 2, 2021 at 8:12 AM Post #1,272 of 1,473
Check this out.
197ADC3B-5ED1-4E93-896E-1F985E3D7034.jpeg

Apr 2, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #1,274 of 1,473
A set of used Utopias!
Open backs are not priority at the moment. But if Focal could make CB Utopias that doesn’t suffer from Focal’s usual narrow soundstage, I would consider it.
They might give Stellia a facelift this year so who knows.

Apr 2, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #1,275 of 1,473
If hifiman can go that low, so can I. Lol

611E8677-B58C-443F-9696-0CA6E6578537.jpeg

Check out this tune.
7448B6C3-65D5-4327-A59A-AD49EB207E1C.jpeg

Little Blues for your lonely glass of scotch.
7A2C751E-1FF8-476B-A958-7B8D806EB97F.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back