Looking for ( found )"end game" headphones in 2K ± price range.
Sep 7, 2020 at 10:10 PM Post #91 of 1,473
Some of these flagship headphones are tempting but unfortunately, either they’re out of my price range or are difficult load to drive. I have decided that I’m not going down the rabbit hole and set myself up with another amp hunting quest just to accommodate needs of cans that ate all my fun money for this year. I need to draw a hard line and stick to original plan and budget. So ZMF Verite, HE1000v2 (open box deal) and HD800s are cans I have in mind at the moment. There couple more suggestions in the thread and I am not ignoring those. If I get the chance to listen to them, I’ll.
These 3 are a definite finalists atm. Gonna try to find one more headphone to add to this line up and then try to figure out how to audition them side by side. Thanks everyone.

final D8000/Pro

Sep 7, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #92 of 1,473
Sep 7, 2020 at 10:17 PM Post #93 of 1,473
I would rather not include close-backs to the list but if I find it available for demo, I’ll keep it in mind.

Which is a good idea given you own the A2C. I also have the A2C and got the Stellia a little over a month ago. It's better than the A2C and sounds great but it's not a case of blowing it out of the water. It's basically the A2C on steroids (more detail, bigger/better and airier soundstage, better imaging, faster, clearer) though with a slightly more neutral tuning. I don't think getting a closed back in that around 2k range would be worth it then compared to the A2C and I think you'd have to go to the Verite Closed or Stellia to truly make it worth your while for another closed back. The A2C punches above its price and weight class.

While I don't have any experience with them, based on my reading and research, it sounds like the 800s and Verite Open (if you can stretch the budget or find a used pair) would be two options to strongly consider and given your post as I was typing this, you said you are.

If I were in the market for an open headphone and lived in the U.S., I'd be going for the Verite. Sounds like it'd be something I'd quite enjoy.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #94 of 1,473
Sep 8, 2020 at 12:36 AM Post #95 of 1,473
Let us know what you think if you get a chance to compare them. I've heard all three but not close enough together to compare.

I owned a A2C and thought it was pretty good but I think the Focal Clear would have it beat, definitely in transparency and impact.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2020 at 5:46 AM Post #96 of 1,473
Which is a good idea given you own the A2C. I also have the A2C and got the Stellia a little over a month ago. It's better than the A2C and sounds great but it's not a case of blowing it out of the water. It's basically the A2C on steroids (more detail, bigger/better and airier soundstage, better imaging, faster, clearer) though with a slightly more neutral tuning. I don't think getting a closed back in that around 2k range would be worth it then compared to the A2C and I think you'd have to go to the Verite Closed or Stellia to truly make it worth your while for another closed back. The A2C punches above its price and weight class.

While I don't have any experience with them, based on my reading and research, it sounds like the 800s and Verite Open (if you can stretch the budget or find a used pair) would be two options to strongly consider and given your post as I was typing this, you said you are.

If I were in the market for an open headphone and lived in the U.S., I'd be going for the Verite. Sounds like it'd be something I'd quite enjoy.
From my little research it does sound like Verite might be something that would check most of the boxes in my requirements list. Most of users/reviewers also enjoy its tonality and “3D” soundstage. On top of that, owners of these headphones like to pair Verite headphones with quality tube amp. I do love and appreciate passion and craftsmanship that is put into making these headphones. I do realize that they might not be the absolute “end game” headphones but I feel that it would be an interesting and satisfying addition to my lcdx and A2C.
Speaking of A2C. For $750 that I paid for them new, there’s not a whole lot out there, that is as portable and comfortable in this price range. They’re mostly used with modern music. For that purpose, they’re certainly good enough.
As far as budget is concerned, Yeah, 2K is where it’s at but, if a headphones really WOW me, ...... 2.5K is probably MAX that I would go.
Thanks.

Keep an eye on the classifieds, they come up at times at much lower prices ...
Unless it’s someone local, it won’t help me that much. I need to have a chance to compare them with other headphones. I just can’t buy something blind at this price point. Thanks.

Let us know what you think if you get a chance to compare them. I've heard all three but not close enough together to compare.

I owned a A2C and thought it was pretty good but I think the Focal Clear would have it beat, definitely in transparency and impact.

Sure thing. I’ll definitely post my impressions and which cans I end up with. I’ll start auditioning them soon..... I hope. There are few places that are still open despite getting killed by local, silly policies. They do auditions by appointment so maybe they could accommodate my request with at least few headphones on my list.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #97 of 1,473
FYI don't dismiss the Empyreans out of hand for budgetary or audio reasons. They sound truly special with any source, and as for the price, you can get deals right now that would be really close to your budget new. If you're interested pm me and I'll tell you where to look :wink:

Sep 8, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #98 of 1,473
T
FYI don't dismiss the Empyreans out of hand for budgetary or audio reasons. They sound truly special with any source, and as for the price, you can get deals right now that would be really close to your budget new. If you're interested pm me and I'll tell you where to look :wink:
There is a lot to like about Empyreans. With lowered MSRP they could have really make waves. PM sent.

Sep 8, 2020 at 7:44 PM Post #99 of 1,473
Some of these flagship headphones are tempting but unfortunately, either they’re out of my price range or are difficult load to drive. I have decided that I’m not going down the rabbit hole and set myself up with another amp hunting quest just to accommodate needs of cans that ate all my fun money for this year. I need to draw a hard line and stick to original plan and budget. So ZMF Verite, HE1000v2 (open box deal) and HD800s are cans I have in mind at the moment. There couple more suggestions in the thread and I am not ignoring those. If I get the chance to listen to them, I’ll.
These 3 are a definite finalists atm. Gonna try to find one more headphone to add to this line up and then try to figure out how to audition them side by side. Thanks everyone.
If your a timbre guy just go Verite. If you want more detail and resolution go HD800. Maybe build a rig around a tube amp otl or hybrid. There will be more dynamic headphones in the future you can match with your amp.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #100 of 1,473
If your a timbre guy just go Verite. If you want more detail and resolution go HD800. Maybe build a rig around a tube amp otl or hybrid. There will be more dynamic headphones in the future you can match with your amp.
ZMF will be hard to audition. And even if I was totally sold on Verite and order today, they would arrive around January. 3th, I checked his return policies and I’m not a fan. There’s %10 restocking fee on standard finish/pads/cables etc if returned within 15 days. No returns on any “custom” finishes. Perhaps dealing with ZMF is more fluid and friendly but I don’t get that impression from browsing his website and some customer purchase history. I could be wrong........ but I need to think about that.
I could get B-stock LCD-4z within my budget. So maybe I could add that to the list?

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #101 of 1,473
ZMF will be hard to audition. And even if I was totally sold on Verite and order today, they would arrive around January. 3th, I checked his return policies and I’m not a fan. There’s %10 restocking fee on standard finish/pads/cables etc if returned within 15 days. No returns on any “custom” finishes. Perhaps dealing with ZMF is more fluid and friendly but I don’t get that impression from browsing his website and some customer purchase history. I could be wrong........ but I need to think about that.
I could get B-stock LCD-4z within my budget. So maybe I could add that to the list?
I saw a Verite Closed and a Verite Open come on the used market just today for $2,150. Why not buy used and take delivery next week?

Sep 8, 2020 at 9:53 PM Post #102 of 1,473
Hmm maybe ADX5000 it's $1,999 usd brand new AFAIK, here's on my country it's been a hyped even some longtime HD800/HD800s user sold theirs, and goes to ADX5000 instead, just try it first if you can, i hope it's what you're looking for

Sep 9, 2020 at 5:08 AM Post #103 of 1,473
Hmm maybe ADX5000 it's $1,999 usd brand new AFAIK, here's on my country it's been a hyped even some longtime HD800/HD800s user sold theirs, and goes to ADX5000 instead, just try it first if you can, i hope it's what you're looking for
As a head of a small indie record label I have been lately fortunate enough to listen to and approve 24-bit audio files from mastering studios on three different types of headphones: open (ADX5000), closed (Denon D9200) and planar (Hifiman HE-6) before the final masters will be sent to a CD plant for production and to digital platforms. ADX5000 is very revealing and sounds absolutely fantastic with fine recordings and a decent amp, so I strongly believe that everyone considering HD800/800+ should give it a listen before investing in an open flagship headphone.

Sep 9, 2020 at 6:58 AM Post #104 of 1,473
I saw a Verite Closed and a Verite Open come on the used market just today for $2,150. Why not buy used and take delivery next week?
Be cause I never heard ZMF Verite before and that would be a blind purchase. Besides, that’s not how I want to go about this process. If possible, I want to audition several candidates before pulling the trigger.

Sep 9, 2020 at 7:12 AM Post #105 of 1,473
As a head of a small indie record label I have been lately fortunate enough to listen to and approve 24-bit audio files from mastering studios on three different types of headphones: open (ADX5000), closed (Denon D9200) and planar (Hifiman HE-6) before the final masters will be sent to a CD plant for production and to digital platforms. ADX5000 is very revealing and sounds absolutely fantastic with fine recordings and a decent amp, so I strongly believe that everyone considering HD800/800+ should give it a listen before investing in an open flagship headphone.

One of the stores near me carries most of the brands (except ZMF of cause) mentioned in this thread. So, I’ll have a chance to audition almost every headphone recommended by you guys. I’ll try to setup an appointment for next Monday and see if they let me bring my own tube amp to get a better picture. I’m sure most of those cans are fine products but they also gotta have synergy.
PS
They have open box ADX5000 for $1699.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back