Looking for ( found )"end game" headphones in 2K ± price range.
Sep 9, 2020 at 10:28 AM Post #106 of 1,473
It’s confirmed. I can bring my own amp. Cans I’ll compare are HD800s vs HE1000 (they don’t have V2 for demo) and LCD-4z. That’s probably enough for one day.

Sep 9, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #107 of 1,473
It’s confirmed. I can bring my own amp. Cans I’ll compare are HD800s vs HE1000 (they don’t have V2 for demo) and LCD-4z. That’s probably enough for one day.

I auditioned the ADX5000 at the same store you're referencing and pulled the trigger immediately on it. I would definitely suggest adding it to your rotation while there.

Sep 9, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #108 of 1,473
I auditioned the ADX5000 at the same store you're referencing and pulled the trigger immediately on it. I would definitely suggest adding it to your rotation while there.
I’ll definitely try them. They didn’t say that they have them available for demo but I know that they might have one available on sale as open-box. So it shouldn’t be too hard to convince them to get them out of the box. Lol

Someone who owns the same Dragon Inspire amp says that ADX5000 sound way better on tube amp then SS which is a bonus. He also preferred ADX5000 over HD800s. He didn’t keep them tho. Says that they are awesome on Jazz, Classical and classic rock, and he was looking for more versatile performer (I think he bought Focal Utopia). Fortunately I am looking for headphones that excel at these genres specifically.:L3000:

Sep 9, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #110 of 1,473
Can someone compare the ADX5000 with the Beyerdynamic T1.2?
I could try but not sure how useful it will be to you...... Amp>headphone matching, personal preferences do play a role.

Sep 9, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #111 of 1,473
I am looking for an alternative to T1.2 since Beyerdynamic released the 3rd generation with 32 Ohm and I want to remain on the high impedance area, to use them with my Elise tube amplifier. Since I listen 90% to rock music, I guess I need detailed and fast headphones, with good mids.

Sep 9, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #112 of 1,473
I am looking for an alternative to T1.2 since Beyerdynamic released the 3rd generation with 32 Ohm and I want to remain on the high impedance area, to use them with my Elise tube amplifier. Since I listen 90% to rock music, I guess I need detailed and fast headphones, with good mids.
I’ll see what I can do but no promises. And I would feel really bad if I mislead you in my assessment.

Sep 9, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #114 of 1,473
I’ll definitely try them. They didn’t say that they have them available for demo but I know that they might have one available on sale as open-box. So it shouldn’t be too hard to convince them to get them out of the box. Lol

Someone who owns the same Dragon Inspire amp says that ADX5000 sound way better on tube amp then SS which is a bonus. He also preferred ADX5000 over HD800s. He didn’t keep them tho. Says that they are awesome on Jazz, Classical and classic rock, and he was looking for more versatile performer (I think he bought Focal Utopia). Fortunately I am looking for headphones that excel at these genres specifically.:L3000:

I think the ADX5000 Is one of those headphones that really pairs equally well with SS and tube amps. Not only that, but both OTL and transformer coupled options. I think they will perform phenomenally with the Inspire, likely better than any of the other options you referenced demoing.

The ultimate TOTL complement would be the ADX5000 and ZMF Verite. Both are amazing with tube amps, and you will get the mix of neutral and warm, and incredible resolution and staging on both.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #115 of 1,473
I would actually say to try HD820 as well , it can be found new under $2k now. It is less neutral but arguably a more enjoyable listening experience than hd800S:
* Less analytical treble
* More bass without being boomy
* Noise isolation = greater SNR than open back
* Still has massive soundstage despite being closed, though not as big as HD800S

Overall more forgiving than hd800s and also has more genre versatility & versatility in general due to the above points. If I had to pick only one hd8xx headphone to own it would be hd820.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2020 at 4:02 PM Post #116 of 1,473
Do not worry, I was just curious. I hope you will find what you are searching.
Any specific qualities you’re looking for in ADX5000? That would be a bit easier to convey in my evaluation.

I think the ADX5000 Is one of those headphones that really pairs equally well with SS and tube amps. Not only that, but both OTL and transformer coupled options. I think they will perform phenomenally with the Inspire, likely better than any of the other options you referenced demoing.

The ultimate TOTL complement would be the ADX5000 and ZMF Verite. Both are amazing with tube amps, and you will get the mix of neutral and warm, and incredible resolution and staging on both.

That’s quite encouraging. I can’t wait to hear what they can do. As well as other headphones. I think it will be interesting. I’m a bit worry that headphones I end up with might shock some people on here. As always, guys get attached to their favorites cans and when someone favors other headphones over their beloved babes, they get insulted. And that’s not what I’m trying to do here guys. Just trying to pick what works for ME (within my budget and criteria) that’s all.

I would actually say to try HD820 as well , it can be found new under $2k now. It is less neutral but arguably a more enjoyable listening experience than hd800S:
* Less analytical treble
* More bass without being boomy
* Noise isolation = greater SNR than open back
* Still has massive soundstage despite being closed, though not as big as HD800S

Overall more forgiving than hd800s and also has more genre versatility & versatility in general due to the above points. If I had to pick only one hd8xx headphone to own it would be hd820.
If they got them for demo, why not. I could actually have to go against each other. Then, have the one I prefer to go against ADX5000vsHE1000 winer. Since both use dynamic drivers, it will be more appropriate for that comparison. Then, HE1000 vs LCD 4z (I can probably get these around 2.5K). Then planars vs dynamic drivers.

Actually, there was a little thought out into this (let me know if it makes sense?). Let me explain.

Both HE1000(V2) and LCD-4z (I don’t think I can get regular LCD-4 at this discount) are probably technically superior and share qualities and shortcomings associated with this kind of drivers. And I’m just speculating, are not best choice to pair with tube amplifiers. In short, technical beasts but maybe not tube friendly. With both ADX5000 and HD800(s) lock of technical superiority is compensated with potential synergy with quality tube amps. Making this evaluation slightly more balanced and fair.
Perhaps I’m overthinking this?

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2020 at 4:16 PM Post #117 of 1,473
Any specific qualities you’re looking for in ADX5000? That would be a bit easier to convey in my evaluation.

That’s quite encouraging. I can’t wait to hear what they can do. As well as other headphones. I think it will be interesting. I’m a bit worry that headphones I end up with might shock some people on here. As always, guys get attached to their favorites cans and when someone favors other headphones over their beloved babes, they get insulted. And that’s not what I’m trying to do here guys. Just trying to pick what works for ME (within my budget and criteria) that’s all.

If they got them for demo, why not. I could actually have to go against each other. Then, have the one I prefer to go against ADX5000vsHE1000 winer. Since both use dynamic drivers, it will be more appropriate for that comparison. Then, HE1000 vs LCD 4z (I can probably get these around 2.5K). Then planars vs dynamic drivers.

Actually, there was a little thought out into this (let me know if it makes sense?). Let me explain.

Both HE1000(V2) and LCD-4z (I don’t think I can get regular LCD-4 at this discount) are probably technically superior and share qualities and shortcomings associated with this kind of drivers. And I’m just speculating, are not best choice to pair with tube amplifiers. In short, technical beasts but maybe not tube friendly. With both ADX5000 and HD800(s) lock of technical superiority is compensated with potential synergy with quality tube amps. Making this evaluation slightly more balanced and fair.
Perhaps I’m overthinking this?

I think that's a fair evaluation, but I would caveat that by saying that the differences are incredibly minute at this level. So, yes, probably slightly overthinking it but you're on the right track, I feel.

I went from HD650 to Focal Elear to Rosson RAD-0, 3 phones that all have the same sonic signature. Price point was more than double with each step up. Improvements were about 10% or so with the step from the HD650 to Elear (pretty sizeable to me), and maybe 5% from Elear to RAD-0. Diminishing returns were heavily felt, but I kept the RAD-0 because they were better.

Long story short, you should fully expect there to be a looooot more in common between all 4 of these headphones than different. The biggest differences will be in their synergy with the tube amp.

Sep 10, 2020 at 6:46 AM Post #119 of 1,473
I was thinking at detail retrieval, dynamics and overal sound presentation. Nothing special.
PM me few of your reference tracks.

I think that's a fair evaluation, but I would caveat that by saying that the differences are incredibly minute at this level. So, yes, probably slightly overthinking it but you're on the right track, I feel.

I went from HD650 to Focal Elear to Rosson RAD-0, 3 phones that all have the same sonic signature. Price point was more than double with each step up. Improvements were about 10% or so with the step from the HD650 to Elear (pretty sizeable to me), and maybe 5% from Elear to RAD-0. Diminishing returns were heavily felt, but I kept the RAD-0 because they were better.

Long story short, you should fully expect there to be a looooot more in common between all 4 of these headphones than different. The biggest differences will be in their synergy with the tube amp.

I will mostly focus on:
-slam, faithful reproduction of dynamic swings.
- micro dynamics
- ability to bring faded details closer, air, bloom/decay/pitch of string instruments,
- engagement (cans ability to make you forget about technicality and engage you in musical experience)
- stage presentation ( I like first 10 rows seating experience). Too far back is not my cup of tea.

I’m sure there are going to be differences. Question is, are these differences worth it’s asking price and do those differences appeal to my personal taste and biases? Headphones in the line up will range from around $1500-$2700 (not MSRP but street prices including open box, B-stock etc). So more expensive ones will have to really wow me to justify price difference.

PS
How you like your RAD-0s?
I have heard they have great tonality. A bit on the heavy side tho.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #120 of 1,473
PM me few of your reference tracks.

I will mostly focus on:
-slam, faithful reproduction of dynamic swings.
- micro dynamics
- ability to bring faded details closer, air, bloom/decay/pitch of string instruments,
- engagement (cans ability to make you forget about technicality and engage you in musical experience)
- stage presentation ( I like first 10 rows seating experience). Too far back is not my cup of tea.

I’m sure there are going to be differences. Question is, are these differences worth it’s asking price and do those differences appeal to my personal taste and biases? Headphones in the line up will range from around $1500-$2700 (not MSRP but street prices including open box, B-stock etc). So more expensive ones will have to really wow me to justify price difference.

PS
How you like your RAD-0s?
I have heard they have great tonality. A bit on the heavy side tho.

I tend to find that the biggest, most readily apparent differences are in the low frequency presentation (sub-bass presence, overall bass impact and slam) as well as the nuances in how the mids are presented (vocal timbre, musicality, etc.). Staging is also very important, although some prefer an intimate stage over a wide one, etc. Like you said, this is all subjective and biases play a major factor. I do find that price point does correlate to quality (quality to me, that is), but certainly not as significant as many claim it does. Plus, I've heard high-end headphones and speakers that just weren't that good to me.

The Rosson RAD-0s are pretty amazing. Tonally, they sit somewhere between HD650 and Audeze LCD-X to me, which is a great thing. Think HD650/6xx tone, timbre and soundtaging With LCD-X bass quality and quantity. However, where the RAD-0 best those is in detail retrieval, which is more LCD-3 than LCD-X (LCD-X is way too veiled to me). Soundstaging is fairly intimate. Overall, these are the best phones for me for hard rock/metal music in my arsenal. But, as you noted, they are rock solid build and therefore are quite heavy. Clamping force is also more excessive than it need be.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back