Looking for ( found )"end game" headphones in 2K ± price range.
Aug 18, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #1,456 of 1,473
just wanted to say also came to he6se v2 from the GL2000, and oh boy the he6se tonality is so much better. It’s only imperfection is it’s lower mids makes some vocals sound further away. The treble was surprisingly super smooth. he6se technicalities are quite amazing and very detailed with excellent imaging and separation. Only area it can’t beat GL2000 is soundstage, GL2000 can make sounds come from above easily. Hilariously GL2000 mids kind of sound better because it’s filled out and more forward
GL2000 are “fun” headphones for sure. Like you mentioned, soundstage is filled with little cues and nuances. And yes, it’s certainly more specious and wider than HE-6SE V2. Vocals on HE-6SE V2 are indeed slightly recessed (muffled would be exaggeration but you know what I mean). Overall,very enjoyable headphone and at discounted price, a steal IMHO. I can’t think of a “better” cans under $900-1000.

Aug 18, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #1,458 of 1,473
Hd800s has my vote
For soundstage….yeah. I hope tuning on “new” HD8XX is more linear. If so, they might be quite nice.

Aug 22, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #1,459 of 1,473
Testing MoFi UltraPhono/headphone amplifier in my bedroom. Turntable is Townshend Rock (I would say vintage at this point). Tonearm is Mørch Up4 (uni-pivot) with Denon DL 103R MC cartridge.

In short, very nice value with extremely minimalistic approach to listening and experiencing your vinyl collection. It’s quite capable in driving difficult cartridges such as Denon 103R. I wouldn’t say optimal but passable. With 60dB gain recommended for MC cartridges (capable of extra 6dB via dip switches), there’s plenty of gain to blow your ear drums. But volume isn’t everything now is it?
MoFi claims that headphone amplifier works in pure class A. Is it true class A? Can’t really say. Does it sounds like one? Not really.
Detail retrieval is good, so is dynamic range. Separation and soundstage is pretty decent. Overall, fine and inexpensive way to get your feet wet and start enjoying vinyl.
Complaints? Yes. A major one.
Step ladder attenuator doesn’t have enough steps to fine tune your preferred volume level. It literally goes from almost there to too loud. Wished they opted for smooth ALPS attenuator instead.
It also seems to be slightly on the bright side but that might be due to very few hrs on it, and it might need some more “burn-in” time. Volume knob also locks inducator which could get frustrating. There’s no voice/vocals sibilance which is great. Just a bit too crisp/shrill on brass instruments. But that can go away with more hours on it.
Form factor, size and features are basic. But there’s a mono and rumble switch for those who need it. There are also 12 dip switches on the bottom side of the unit for MM/MC cartridge loading and gain.

Would I recommend it?
Depends on your rig and circumstances. As a standalone phonostage, it's more than enough for entry level vinyl rig (under 1K turntable setup). Without headphone amplifier option it retails for under $400 (I paid $450 for upgraded one. It's slightly quieter than its sibling). There's not much in that price range that is truelly satisfying. Probably less than a handful that I would even consider for my personal use. Mofi ultraphono is one of them.
As to headphone amp section....... Well, that is slightly more difficult sell. Unless you absolutely need a simplistic vinyl/headphone setup (like I do), I would probably go with a separate amp. It might end up costing you a little more but you get extra features and more fluid volume control.
As a side note, I will confirm that it (Mofi) can easily drive my ADX5000. And they didn't sound bad,.not at all. Haven't tried it with my new HE6-SE V2s, but that would be pushing it. As I don't feel there's enough juice to get them comfortable.
Hope it helps anyone who might have considered it.
C9F94BE7-515C-4560-857A-7E86641AAACF.jpeg

C95B7FC7-2EA3-4320-B775-72D0D50CA153.jpeg

64D83E1B-933A-45C6-9CF9-7D8BEE9C6A1D.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #1,460 of 1,473
*1 used/demo pair of HE6-SE V2 at Adorama $589 if interested.

Aug 23, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #1,461 of 1,473
Testing MoFi UltraPhono/headphone amplifier in my bedroom. Turntable is Townshend Rock (I would say vintage at this point). Tonearm is Mørch Up4 (uni-pivot) with Denon DL 103R MC cartridge.

In short, very nice value with extremely minimalistic approach to listening and experiencing your vinyl collection. It’s quite capable in driving difficult cartridges such as Denon 103R. I wouldn’t say optimal but passable. With 60dB gain recommended for MC cartridges (capable of extra 6dB via dip switches), there’s plenty of gain to blow your ear drums. But volume isn’t everything now is it?
MoFi claims that headphone amplifier works in pure class A. Is it true class A? Can’t really say. Does it sounds like one? Not really.
Detail retrieval is good, so is dynamic range. Separation and soundstage is pretty decent. Overall, fine and inexpensive way to get your feet wet and start enjoying vinyl.
Complaints? Yes. A major one.
Step ladder attenuator doesn’t have enough steps to fine tune your preferred volume level. It literally goes from almost there to too loud. Wished they opted for smooth ALPS attenuator instead.
It also seems to be slightly on the bright side but that might be due to very few hrs on it, and it might need some more “burn-in” time. Volume knob also locks inducator which could get frustrating. There’s no voice/vocals sibilance which is great. Just a bit too crisp/shrill on brass instruments. But that can go away with more hours on it.
Form factor, size and features are basic. But there’s a mono and rumble switch for those who need it. There are also 12 dip switches on the bottom side of the unit for MM/MC cartridge loading and gain.

Would I recommend it?
Depends on your rig and circumstances. As a standalone phonostage, it's more than enough for entry level vinyl rig (under 1K turntable setup). Without headphone amplifier option it retails for under $400 (I paid $450 for upgraded one. It's slightly quieter than its sibling). There's not much in that price range that is truelly satisfying. Probably less than a handful that I would even consider for my personal use. Mofi ultraphono is one of them.
As to headphone amp section....... Well, that is slightly more difficult sell. Unless you absolutely need a simplistic vinyl/headphone setup (like I do), I would probably go with a separate amp. It might end up costing you a little more but you get extra features and more fluid volume control.
As a side note, I will confirm that it (Mofi) can easily drive my ADX5000. And they didn't sound bad,.not at all. Haven't tried it with my new HE6-SE V2s, but that would be pushing it. As I don't feel there's enough juice to get them comfortable.
Hope it helps anyone who might have considered it.
C9F94BE7-515C-4560-857A-7E86641AAACF.jpeg
C95B7FC7-2EA3-4320-B775-72D0D50CA153.jpeg
64D83E1B-933A-45C6-9CF9-7D8BEE9C6A1D.jpeg
RC+QJ = 🎶 🎶 👍

Aug 24, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #1,462 of 1,473
Another complaint to the list.
6.3mm headphone jack is of extremely poor quality.
For one, it’s wobbly with unnervingly loose fit with most headphones. Surface contact is poor and crackling noise isn’t uncommon while adjusting headphone jack for a better fit. It occurred to a lesser degree with Audezes. On occasions with ADX5000. HE6 SE V2 were unusable. Loosing signal entirely in one or the other channel. Crazy loose.

With that being said, I just can’t recommend this product to anyone due to poorly executed basic functionality.

Unfortunately I’ll have to get my soldering iron out and try to remedy this problem by replacing that horrendous jack.

As a side note, it can’t drive HE6s. Not even close.
Cheers.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2021 at 10:37 PM Post #1,463 of 1,473
Another complaint to the list.
6.3mm headphone jack is of extremely poor quality.
For one, it’s wobbly with unnervingly loose fit with most headphones. Surface contact is poor and crackling noise isn’t uncommon while adjusting headphone jack for a better fit. It occurred to a lesser degree with Audezes. On occasions with ADX5000. HE6 SE V2 were unusable. Loosing signal entirely in one or the other channel. Crazy loose.

With that being said, I just can’t recommend this product to anyone due to poorly executed basic functionality.

Unfortunately I’ll have to get my soldering iron out and try to remedy this problem by replacing that horrendous jack.

As a side note, it can’t drive HE6s. Not even close.
Cheers.
Which product is addressed here?

Aug 24, 2021 at 11:03 PM Post #1,464 of 1,473
Aug 26, 2021 at 6:42 AM Post #1,465 of 1,473
Where’s QC Impulse! (new, just opened)? I bought cleaner used, 60yo records from garage sale.
1D3F60C2-2B33-4EB2-B7D7-A83387B6770F.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #1,466 of 1,473
Have made some changes to my nightstand setup. This is more functional layout, Replaced Rock TT for Rega Planar 8 since the other TT needs some fine tuning and possibly cartridge change for something more appropriate (I think my older SoundSmith MI should fit the bill). And unipivot is too finicky for this arrangement.

6B5F8A21-C654-4B72-8567-418E6976B40A.jpeg

Edit.
I should also add that I have made some quick comparison a/b between MoFi build in class A amp and Phonitor2. There’s no comparison. Given the price difference that’s not surprising but the difference is rather huge. Dynamics, resolution, separation and extreme cleanness is quite apparent with Phonitor2.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2021 at 7:46 AM Post #1,467 of 1,473
Sep 12, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #1,469 of 1,473
I will have another phonostage coming soon to replace MoFi ultra-phono. Stay tuned for review.

Sep 15, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #1,470 of 1,473
Meet EAT “Petit”
2935D0D8-57A6-4D2E-AC38-3CA7BBAC16C6.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back