Looking for ( found )"end game" headphones in 2K ± price range.
Jun 12, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #1,426 of 1,473
In my setup A good vinyl record beats digital source even though I’m using retro ortofon cartridge. Warmer and very organic sound which has more presence than digital source, a real magic with acoustic music.

the only thing that I wish for is that sweet spot would be across whole lp record
You won’t hear any argument from me, regarding deeper emotional engagement and musical enjoyment achieved with well mastered vinyl.

Digital glare, sterile like quality is my biggest pet peeve with digitally sourced components in an audio chain.
I won’t put all of the blame on the components, as I feel that the product (digital masters and entire process from mic to master music file) is often to blame. While vinyl, for the most part, usually stays in analog domain.
I am not saying that vinyl is more “accurate”. All I am saying is that music seems more agreeable with our hearing. Something that can be interpreted as more pleasing, emotional, fluid listening experience.

I believe those who profess superiority of digital are partially influenced by convenience of digital reproduction. And turned off by quirkiness, process and sometimes complexity of proper, quality vinyl setup.

Jun 13, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #1,427 of 1,473
I’m growing more and more frustrated with Tidal. Doing some comparison between several streaming services, including Qobuz and Amazon (and Tidal ofcause). Amazon is OK but finding music I want via Bluesound OS or Mconntrol app for PS Audio Streamer/DAC isn't fluid enough. And occasionally it fails to find song I am looking for.
I doubt that they don’t have them in their library but search for it fails. (case in point Jacques Loussier Trio).

So, it’s between Qobuz and Tidal at this point.

6FFEDEEF-B807-4D59-A10B-6DA713E271DE.jpeg

9E040285-81AA-446B-B642-271201C10A8C.jpeg

I have noticed some sibilance and what I would describe as “lively” (but not necessarily natural) presentation on Tidal. Qobuz seem more pleasant to my ear. And it sounds better with ADX5000.
Still need more time to make up my mind but I’m slowely drifting away from Tidal.

added:
Like drums? Check them out.
8435CDCE-4D60-485D-9611-527977F32F4F.jpeg

Down time with these guys now:

E820EAC2-CF35-4627-83C9-879A66174B5F.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #1,428 of 1,473
I’m growing more and more frustrated with Tidal. Doing some comparison between several streaming services, including Qobuz and Amazon (and Tidal ofcause). Amazon is OK but finding music I want via Bluesound OS or Mconntrol app for PS Audio Streamer/DAC isn't fluid enough. And occasionally it fails to find song I am looking for.
I doubt that they don’t have them in their library but search for it fails. (case in point Jacques Loussier Trio).

So, it’s between Qobuz and Tidal at this point.

6FFEDEEF-B807-4D59-A10B-6DA713E271DE.jpeg
9E040285-81AA-446B-B642-271201C10A8C.jpeg

I have noticed some sibilance and what I would describe as “lively” (but not necessarily natural) presentation on Tidal. Qobuz seem more pleasant to my ear. And it sounds better with ADX5000.
Still need more time to make up my mind but I’m slowely drifting away from Tidal.

added:
Like drums? Check them out.
8435CDCE-4D60-485D-9611-527977F32F4F.jpeg

Down time with these guys now:

E820EAC2-CF35-4627-83C9-879A66174B5F.jpeg

all these streaming platforms use their algorithms to stream music. Personally I can hear minor differences and if the track is ripped properly 128kbps is enough for me to enjoy it even with high end gear. If the track or album is very demanding I usually purchase lp or digital depending on music genre.

The best source for me is youtube, largest music selection by far of any streaming platform, Tidal is total trash in that regards, spotify a tad better. The main thing that I hate with youtube is copyright and track removal

Jun 14, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #1,429 of 1,473
all these streaming platforms use their algorithms to stream music. Personally I can hear minor differences and if the track is ripped properly 128kbps is enough for me to enjoy it even with high end gear. If the track or album is very demanding I usually purchase lp or digital depending on music genre.

The best source for me is youtube, largest music selection by far of any streaming platform, Tidal is total trash in that regards, spotify a tad better. The main thing that I hate with youtube is copyright and track removal
When you say “YouTube”, you mean regular content uploaded by various users?
So far, I like Qobuz as it appears that they don’t “add” their own “spin” to their library.
On track “Svanrand” by Heilung, female vocalists’ hint of sibilance was especially apparent. Even male voices had less body in comparison. I didn’t expect that much difference, to be honest with you…. Perhaps it’s not a commonality but existent on most of the tracks I’ve tried.
And my reference recordings will always be part of my LP or alternatively, CD library.

Jun 15, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #1,430 of 1,473
Probably not many of you are vinyl aficionados but those of you who are and appreciate noteworthy news regarding direction vinyl production/mastering is heading, might find it interesting.
Interview with Mastering Engineer Kevin Gray is a gem, however, the most interesting and newsworthy part takes place about one hour into the interview.
In the essence, Kevin Gray mentions his 15 years in the making process of building all vacuum tube based, recording studio. From microphones, all the way to the vinyl cutting head. Now this is something I’ll be looking forward to. Maybe if it didn’t have Kevin Gray’s name attached to it, I would have been slightly less excited, since we all know, it all comes down to execution and man behind this artful craft. From what I gathered, this all new vacuum tube studio is almost ready to launch. Can’t wait to hear what Kevin is able to do with system, that once was (still is) considered the greatest period of Master Engineering/Vinyl sound quality (late 50’s to early 60’s).

Listening to:

D5AE152B-941E-457C-A732-B65D16D2771A.jpeg

C9C260BE-C3CE-4663-921F-2AD4EB6F45CE.jpeg

9383A6CF-8F5D-49A2-A054-2E0C203A0E18.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #1,431 of 1,473
O-Zone percussion group* vs speakers.

added, classical guitar and cello side by side for tone/reverb test.

Listening to:

And

Released recently and should be still available on LP.

*Vinyl aficionados! There's still time to grab one of THESE. Get it while you still can, or cry later. Once its gone, it will take some serious $$$ to add it to your collection.

New find:
D04A1013-7523-4A13-B180-85176D5B731E.jpeg

:wink:

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2021 at 6:05 AM Post #1,432 of 1,473
When you say “YouTube”, you mean regular content uploaded by various users?
So far, I like Qobuz as it appears that they don’t “add” their own “spin” to their library.
On track “Svanrand” by Heilung, female vocalists’ hint of sibilance was especially apparent. Even male voices had less body in comparison. I didn’t expect that much difference, to be honest with you…. Perhaps it’s not a commonality but existent on most of the tracks I’ve tried.
And my reference recordings will always be part of my LP or alternatively, CD library.

Yes regular content as well, of course there is a higher possibility of poor quality track than tracks uploaded by labels.
I listen a lot of mix compilations through the artist that I fallow via soundcloud and these usually includes rare tracks or even unreleased ones. For me music "library" is a priority and nothing beats YouTube in that regard.

I would rate YouTube with 80% of success rate to find tracks, Spotify maybe 60% and I use it mainly for basic listening. Tried Tidal and was very disappointed. I somehow believe TIDAL regards music selection would be similar to Qobuz. I agree that sound signature differs between various platforms, but In my case if I find the track I'm very happy. As I said a good 128kbps rip does the job even with my utopias.

Unfortunately there is lots of music which is simply poorly recorded, as an example Tony Allen - no accommodation for Lagos, I love that early Afro beat sound, but there is no way I could listen to it via high end gear. I tried to buy vinyl/FLAC/lossless formats all sounded nearly identical and my only hope is that one day it will be remastered.

I'm on holidays right now but these are few findings where I had success finding only via youtube

Soundwriters - Icy Tandak
Cigaro - Frisbee (1983)
Whilst - Umgebung
Nora Dean - Ay Ay Ay

Strangely enough all streaming platforms do well with finding jazz music, but I like to dive into weird stuff a lot

Jun 17, 2021 at 8:11 AM Post #1,433 of 1,473
Yes regular content as well, of course there is a higher possibility of poor quality track than tracks uploaded by labels.
I listen a lot of mix compilations through the artist that I fallow via soundcloud and these usually includes rare tracks or even unreleased ones. For me music "library" is a priority and nothing beats YouTube in that regard.

I would rate YouTube with 80% of success rate to find tracks, Spotify maybe 60% and I use it mainly for basic listening. Tried Tidal and was very disappointed. I somehow believe TIDAL regards music selection would be similar to Qobuz. I agree that sound signature differs between various platforms, but In my case if I find the track I'm very happy. As I said a good 128kbps rip does the job even with my utopias.

Unfortunately there is lots of music which is simply poorly recorded, as an example Tony Allen - no accommodation for Lagos, I love that early Afro beat sound, but there is no way I could listen to it via high end gear. I tried to buy vinyl/FLAC/lossless formats all sounded nearly identical and my only hope is that one day it will be remastered.

I'm on holidays right now but these are few findings where I had success finding only via youtube

Soundwriters - Icy Tandak
Cigaro - Frisbee (1983)
Whilst - Umgebung
Nora Dean - Ay Ay Ay

Strangely enough all streaming platforms do well with finding jazz music, but I like to dive into weird stuff a lot
Differences between all of those streaming platforms is minute but audible in most cases. In other cases, differences are striking and hard to explain. The only thing that comes to mind is source where they got those music files from. However, even on what appears to be identical copy of a particular music arrangement, there’s still audible difference. That leads me to believe that some sort of processing is used for their entire library. Tidal is the main culprit of such alterations to original “Master”. It wouldn't surprise me if Qobuz was guilty of it as well. But it certainly less apparent or noticeable in their case.
As you accurately pointed out, art of mastering is where quality of musical performance, from technical aspect is determined.
Perhaps that’s driving my personal bias towards vinyl as the ultimate “copy” of a particular recording. A “copy” of a session that seems the closest and most faithful to the actual musical event (there are exceptions to this). Ofcause there are duds in Vinyl camp. But well made recording/pressing, played on “good” vinyl rig is still hard to beat imho.

I’ve used this example many time before but here it goes again. Janis Ian “Breaking Silance” on Vinyl. It’s an amazing record and great care was taken to get the best possible sound out of it while making that record. Yet, digital in general…….., particularly streaming media gurus, managed to strip it from its soul. It’s a shame. And there are countless examples of this “crime”.

Thanks again and enjoy yourself.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #1,434 of 1,473
Future of Sennheiser:

Jun 18, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #1,435 of 1,473
Listening to various Biosphere tracks.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #1,436 of 1,473
80911FED-5BC5-4E73-866B-EF09E588C98D.gif

Jun 23, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #1,437 of 1,473
Bass definition, texture and dynamics test track.

Reverb, ambiance, portrait of space of a recording - test. Psalm 3 for voices if interested. Recorded live inside actual pyramids (try to close your eyes and feel the room).

Just a good live (entire album) recording. Few months before her unexpected passing.

And bonus fun track by Yellow.

Jackson vs Prince? Tough one.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2021 at 10:08 PM Post #1,438 of 1,473
Coming up review; Mobile Fidelity, UltraPhono phonostage/headphone amp.
Price:$499

Sort of another “all-in-one” solution for vinyl junkies (for a change). It’s what Bluesound NODE is for digital All-in-one solution but this piece on the other hand, keeps everything in analogue domain.

E0EECED3-D5A3-4BF8-91BD-4D8799FA65A6.jpeg

89905794-1357-4F12-BB1A-51279857A2A5.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #1,439 of 1,473
I’ve heard so many glowing recommendations regarding HiFiMan HE6se V2 that I just couldn’t resist to quench that curiosity ($649 promo, brand new).
Since its asking MSRP was somewhere around $1800, it fits this topic perfectly.
Does it lives up to the hype?
We will see.
Personally, I was never a big fan of HiFiMan headphones, for one reason or the other but….. I am open minded and I’ll give it a fair shake.

edit. Also….I’ll start different thread regarding all things vinyl. I understand that vinyl is a small nitche and I’ll address my experiences where it is more appropriate.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back