Looking for first "good" pair of headphones.
Feb 8, 2013 at 2:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

yerodtr

New Head-Fier
Ok, so I am looking for a decent pair of headphones. I have split my questions/posts up into the appropriate forums as I am also looking for an amp/dac to go with them. Thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/650271/looking-for-my-first-decent-dac-amp-for-full-time-desktop-use

Here is the quick back story. I am by no means an audiophile, I wish I were, but I don't have the time nor money for that currently. But I do appreciate quality in whatever I am buying and do have a discerning ear.

I work from home and need a comfortable headphone that I can use for many hours during the day (help drown out misc noise of kiddos outside the door). My computer is a new Mac Mini, and with most computers in general, the onboard audio is terrible so I am looking into a USB DAC/AMP.

So far from looking around, the best 2 headphones I have seen for the price point are the Shure SRH440 and the Audio Technica ATH-M50. I would like to keep the price point in the $100 range.

Any thoughts on those two compared to each other or potentially another brand? I will be listening to all kinds of music and mostly during the day it will be at lower levels. I am looking to pair the headphones with the Fiio E17 DAC/AMP.

Thanks for the feedback!

Feb 8, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #2 of 3
The SHURE SRH 440 is bright and tinny sounding to my ears.  The pads are terrible on it as well and you will want to upgrade those right away to the SRH 840 pads.  They sound decent enough with rock and some classical, but the bass is lacking and the tinny sound will drive you crazy at some point.

The ATH-M50 is a much more neutral sounding headphone with well extended bass.  Most people have issues with the clamping force of the headphone.  The cure is to place the headphone stretched over a full-sized tissue box when you are not using them.  After a week or two the clamping force is greatly reduced.

I own a pair of the ATH-M50 and still use them.  If the pads dry out they can wear, but not nearly as badly as the SRH 440 pads.  I use some hand lotion every 6 months on the pads which keeps them like new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back