Looking for feedback on Micromega MyDAC: 24/192 Async USB $369
Feb 2, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #16 of 23
Quote:
Do you still have the concero? If so how big a jump is the Lynx compared to it. I mean I expect much better being 4x its price, but how does it compete?

I still have the Concero, and I still love it.  It moved to the office system, replacing an Arcam rDAC, and it's a major improvement.

As between the Concero and the Hilo, purely in terms of DAC performance it's roughly a push.  As a DAC/HPA combo, at the volumes at which I normally listen, with Senn 800s, the Hilo beats the Concero/BHA-1 (single-ended) combo by a narrow but clearly noticeable margin; however, on those rare occasions when you want gobs of power, the Hilo can come up short (it puts out only about 150mW into the 800s' nominal 300-ohm load).  The Hilo is DSD-capable, which the Concero will never be due to the internal limitations of the Sabre 9023 chip.  The single-box, small footprint was a consideration.  The I/O versatility of the Hilo is really cool; I can press two "buttons" on the touch-screen and send an analog signal straight through to the HPA with no conversion, which is great for listening to vinyl.  And the ADC performance of the Hilo, ripping vinyl to 192/24 AIFF files, beats the living daylights out of the MacBook Pro's internals.  That, for me, was the clincher.

Feb 2, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #17 of 23
Do you use optical or usb to feed your Macbook Pro?

Feb 2, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #18 of 23
Quote:
Do you use optical or usb to feed your Macbook Pro?

USB out.  Music is on an external drive connected via FireWire.

Mar 5, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #20 of 23
Quote:
For what it is and what it costs, the MyDac is OK.

Spend the extra $230 if you can and get a Concero.  Same form factor, vastly better performance.

Exactly my thoughts, however I am unsure of the performance difference as I haven't heard them. Have you heard both units?

Mar 22, 2013 at 5:12 AM Post #21 of 23
Guys,

Check it out! There is a new firmware for mydac.

Default is 3123.
New firmware is 3130.

http://www.micromega-hifi.com/index.php/en/support/tips-a-tricks/installer-le-driver-windows-et-mettre-a-jour-le-mydac

Njoy!!

Jun 11, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #22 of 23
Bit of a necro post, but as this DAC is a bit thin on the ground around here, just thought I'd put my name down and say that I picked up one on the weekend on my trip to Luxembourg...

Very good imho, far better than the DAC inside the Burson, not really sure what that is telling me, either way - happy to have it in my setup :)

Jun 12, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #23 of 23
Exactly my thoughts, however I am unsure of the performance difference as I haven't heard them. Have you heard both units?

Got to do a head-to-head last winter, with a Bryston BHA-1 and Sennheiser HD 800.

Concero was clearly superior.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back