Looking for feedback on Micromega MyDAC: 24/192 Async USB $369
Oct 29, 2012 at 11:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

dmcs414

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I've been shopping for a new desktop DAC lately and came across this one on the Music Direct site which looked intriguing.  Here's a brief overlay of chief characteristics-

"
size]

USB  Input  working in asynchronous mode up to 24bits/192kHz and accepting USB audio class 1.0 and USB audio class 2.0 modes without any driver implementation for 
Mac
 and a 
custom Micromega driver for PC

size]

Insignificant jitter in USB asynchronous mode
 thanks to two very low jitter master clocks ( 22.5792 MHz for multiple of 44.1kHz and 24.5760 MHz for multiple of 48kHz), with dedicated  low noise power supplies."

Cirrus Logic CS4351 DAC chip,  

$369

So I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with this DAC?  I didn't see any reviews or impressions of it on here which makes me somewhat suspicious.  I'm also not familiar with the DAC chip, so I'm guessing it's an older one.  Another question I have is whether it's an upsampling DAC not, the website and reviews make no mention of that.  

Any info you guys could share on this DAC would be greatly appreciated.  Other DACs I'm looking at in this price range include Audio-gd 11.32, Schiit Bifrost, and a couple other DACs that do 24/192 over USB.  Must be async and non-upsampling.  

Thanks in advance for the info

Oct 30, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #2 of 23
There are not many comments on this dac as of yet but I did find a thread at Audioasylum with some initial impressions. http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/digital/messages/16/165946.html

Oct 31, 2012 at 5:20 AM Post #3 of 23
Darko seems to like it!

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2012/10/micromega-mydac-review/

He puts it in the same sonic league as the bitfrost, although one point in favor of the mydac is the async USB built-in.

He makes a sly comment at the end questioning whether it is a price killer of legendary proportions, as Robert Harley of TAS seemed to tease...

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/product-preview-micromega-mydac-the-399-miracle/

Anyway, it looks like it is currently to impossible to match this level of performance with an all-in-one solution for anywhere near 400 bux. Maybe audio-gd or bifrost + hiface. That's about it if you believe this review.

As always YMMV.

Nov 2, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #4 of 23
Decided to try my luck on one of these today, and overnighted one from Music Direct. I only currently have a FiiO E17 to compare it to, but since it appears to be somewhat rare here I'll do my best to review it after I've spent some quality time with it.

Nov 17, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #5 of 23
I've had the MyDac in my computer system consisting of a MacBook Pro, Audirvana, Augioengine A5+ speakers connected with Kimber IC's and speaker cable for a week now.

I looked at and listened to units under $500 from; Peachtree, Arcam, V-Link, and a few others but was taken with Robert Harley's pre review of the MyDac on TAS. I don't take reviews as the gospel but they can be good indicators. The link posted to Darko's review is referenced also.

I don't think Harley or Darko are wrong. The unit is PLASTIC, which may offend some people out there that are used to and want gorgeous aluminum and metal enclosures for their components. But let me tell you the performance is top notch. I've found the MyDac to excel in all aspects that are important to me. Good bass extension, defined mids, and clear, non-shrill highs. The silences are silent and noticeable, which I like. I guess this is referred to as a black background? I'm hearing resolution in some of my music I hadn't noticed before. The sound is warm without being muddled while still hitting the mids and highs with clarity and punch. Most of all, I don't experience any fatigue when listening for 2-4 jours at a time. I'm listening to a wide range of music from 50's jazz through 60's, 70's 80' 90's and current rock and alternative (?). I have not listened to anything classical, not my bag.

The competition is going to get very stiff in this price point and category but I recommend you find a dealer and give it a go if you're looking for a very good DAC under $500.

Jan 24, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #6 of 23
Hi,

I recently purchased a MicroMega MyDac after reading all the comments and review.  I took a chance and went for it.  A few of us
audio locals need a USB Asynch DAC and one of us is going to end up with it, so the risk factor was low.  I got mine in black.

I run two systems.  One tube (Rogue) and one SS (Simaudio).  I stream via a Squeezebox Touch (cry me a river, they don't make it anymore).

The DAC?  Wow.  Better than the DAC in the touch.  Darn better to my ears that a lot of $450 DACs from 3 years ago.  And the bonus: USB Asynch operation.  The sound is warm, detailed, extended but not bright and adds weight to the details presented (strings, voices).

Moving to a better DAC for better sound means getting a Bryston BDA or an Oppo BDP-105.

Critisisms: yeah, the case work is light.  I set it up and won't touch it so that's ok.  I don't think it's all that cheap or fragile, It's just
not a heavy duty item.  The bass:  some say it's light; well not here.  I get more bass out of the DAC than the touch.  I am just not 
sure if it correct or lumped in together at the lower registers (more listening required).  Other than that, this product is not making any mistakes anywhere up and down the frequency register.

It's a hard product to fault after you've heard it, at least from my point of view.  For $400 (with taxes) here in Canada, It's really
hard to beat.  And oh friends, hands off MyDac, it's a keeper!  But I know a place where you can buy one.

Jan 25, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #7 of 23
I got it last week. I'm feeding it with a Apple TV 3 via optical. The Micromega MyDAC is connected to my Densen Beat 100 to feed a pair of Bowers & Wilkins CM 1.

Impression: almost Hifi. This DAC reproduce the music in a timely manner which make the song easy to follow, my feet are tapping throughout the music session. One experience to share,. Initially I find the bass is light,. Upon rechecking all the connection, I discover the optical cable end on the DAC is not plug in deep enough. When the optical cable are corrected, you should hear a click sound when inserted properly, The Bass is Back. Soft But Full... very easy on the ears..

Regards Wayne

Jan 26, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #8 of 23
Quote:
I got it last week. I'm feeding it with a Apple TV 3 via optical. The Micromega MyDAC is connected to my Densen Beat 100 to feed a pair of Bowers & Wilkins CM 1.

Impression: almost Hifi. This DAC reproduce the music in a timely manner which make the song easy to follow, my feet are tapping throughout the music session. One experience to share,. Initially I find the bass is light,. Upon rechecking all the connection, I discover the optical cable end on the DAC is not plug in deep enough. When the optical cable are corrected, you should hear a click sound when inserted properly, The Bass is Back. Soft But Full... very easy on the ears..

Regards Wayne

Agreed. I don't care for the looks though. For the price I shouldn't complain.

Jan 26, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #10 of 23
Without opening up a digital 0 and 1's debate, I personally feel there can be a distinct difference in sound between cheap-o USB cables and higher quality models. But be careful to match up anything you're considering with the quality of your system. Any upgrade, including cables, should fit price and performance wise into your system. Many consider higher end cables the snake oil of the audio business, especially USB cables. So I imagine you'll hear from both sides soon.

Jan 27, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #11 of 23
Hello, would this be an upgrade from a music fidelity v-dacII? I only use usb. Thanks.

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #12 of 23
Hi,

I recently purchased a MicroMega MyDac after reading all the comments and review.  I took a chance and went for it.  A few of us
audio locals need a USB Asynch DAC and one of us is going to end up with it, so the risk factor was low.  I got mine in black.

I run two systems.  One tube (Rogue) and one SS (Simaudio).  I stream via a Squeezebox Touch (cry me a river, they don't make it anymore).

The DAC?  Wow.  Better than the DAC in the touch.  Darn better to my ears that a lot of $450 DACs from 3 years ago.  And the bonus: USB Asynch operation.  The sound is warm, detailed, extended but not bright and adds weight to the details presented (strings, voices).

Moving to a better DAC for better sound means getting a Bryston BDA or an Oppo BDP-105.

Critisisms: yeah, the case work is light.  I set it up and won't touch it so that's ok.  I don't think it's all that cheap or fragile, It's just
not a heavy duty item.  The bass:  some say it's light; well not here.  I get more bass out of the DAC than the touch.  I am just not 
sure if it correct or lumped in together at the lower registers (more listening required).  Other than that, this product is not making any mistakes anywhere up and down the frequency register.

It's a hard product to fault after you've heard it, at least from my point of view.  For $400 (with taxes) here in Canada, It's really
hard to beat.  And oh friends, hands off MyDac, it's a keeper!  But I know a place where you can buy one.

Do you mind sharing your source via PM.

Jan 31, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #13 of 23
For what it is and what it costs, the MyDac is OK.

Spend the extra $230 if you can and get a Concero.  Same form factor, vastly better performance.

Jan 31, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:
For what it is and what it costs, the MyDac is OK.

Spend the extra $230 if you can and get a Concero.  Same form factor, vastly better performance.

Do you still have the concero? If so how big a jump is the Lynx compared to it. I mean I expect much better being 4x its price, but how does it compete?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back