Looking for entry level custom IEM
Apr 30, 2010 at 2:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

silverkaze

100+ Head-Fier
Ok here we go, I am looking for an entry level custom IEM, my budget is around 300-400 dollars. I currently own an Image S4i and a re0. I find universal fits start to hurt my ears after a couple hours of use and I would like to get a custom IEM for the comfort. Generally I will not buy IEMs at this price level but I value my ears way more than 400 bucks so I want to get an entry level custom for the comfort and also better sound. And this is the sound signature I am looking for, ideally I want something that sounds like re 0 with fuller/deeper bass, and preferably it doesn't need an amp, and I will listen to my music right off my sansa clip+. I have been looking on this forum and some I considered are:

1. JH5: little information can be found on this other than the JH5 appreciation thread. Also the JH5 vs JH7 thread suggests that 7 is better than 5 by quite a bit, but since budget is an issue here I will not consider upgrading it.

2. Unique Melody Mage: this is probably over my budget and some reviews I read on them indicate that deep bass isn't a sound signature that UM Mage has.

3. SA CT6 Aura: man these look awesome but I don't know how these ones'll sounds like. They get mixed reviews from different people.

Please feel free to recommend some to me, any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!

Apr 30, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #2 of 25
I think just buy TF10Pro(under $200) or SE530 and send them to UM for remold.

Apr 30, 2010 at 3:12 AM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZARIM /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Could you please comment on the sound of remolded TF10Pro? if possible, how does it compare with entry customs?

Apr 30, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #6 of 25
Get the UM3X, Remold it, and in 3 years, get a JH16^^

At least thats the plan for me^^
I wanted to get a Livewires trips but hesitated as it didnt seem like a wise choice as resale value is low.
Why not try a high end universal first then go for a high-end custom?^^

Apr 30, 2010 at 3:38 AM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraggerz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get the UM3X, Remold it, and in 3 years, get a JH16^^

At least thats the plan for me^^
I wanted to get a Livewires trips but hesitated as it didnt seem like a wise choice as resale value is low.
Why not try a high end universal first then go for a high-end custom?^^

The reason for this is that high end universal will not guarantee comfort and a low end custom is more likely to fit better. If it is not for the purpose of protecting my ears, I would just stick with my re 0.

Apr 30, 2010 at 4:46 AM Post #8 of 25
I haven't tried any of the other customs you mention, but imho JH5 is noticeably better than any universal I've tried, many of which that are within a trivial price difference.

And while I've not tried JH7, I don't understand the recent tendency to compare it to the 5. Just because they are the 2 "lowest end" models is far too irrelevant, if one is $699 and the other is only $399. If anything the question should be between 7 and 10x3 at only $100 more (and imho very competitive to the 13).

So in general, I think you're really on the right track here. $100-ish universal, then $400-ish custom (then potentially $800 custom later, if even needed). Much more sensible than buying a dozen different $100 iem's (which does nothing but give you a dozen different versions of $100 iem sound).

Apr 30, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverkaze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how do they sound?

Sorry I have no idea how they sound
redface.gif

Just suggesting because they have a triple driver customs which comes out really cheap (around $350 I think). For some, the amount of drivers is taken into account too.

Apr 30, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kunlun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or, buy an excellent universal and get custom eartips.

+1

Apr 30, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZARIM /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I heard double channel custom molded Shure SE530 and TF10Pro today.
I was smashed by Shure SE530 sound!
ksc75smile.gif

It was the exact sound I dreamed for years.

Apr 30, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #13 of 25
Yeah SE530, when fitted properly, is da crap.
biggrin.gif

May 1, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew H /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't tried any of the other customs you mention, but imho JH5 is noticeably better than any universal I've tried, many of which that are within a trivial price difference.

Great to know this about JH5, do you mind me asking what universals you've tried?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back