Looking for Efficient but powerful amp (on a budget)
Apr 13, 2013 at 6:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

GREQ

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm looking for something that can EASILY drive headphones like my vintage AKG K241 and vintage Beyerdynamic DT 990 (both 600 ohms) and also easily drive vintage planar magnetics/orthos like Yamaha HP3 or SFI drivers.

What I'm specifically looking for is something fairly cheap (ideally around $200) and has a LOW power consumption. I want to save my electricity bills for many years to come. 
I'm not looking for something super-hifi, but as long as it's close to having a black background and is almost neutral, then that's fine for my needs/wants.

I've been perfectly happily listening to most of my headphones on a vintage Fisher SS AV Receiver without problems, but it can be a little noisy on lower sensitivity headphones and obviously uses A LOT more electricity than modern headphone amps.
A list of suggestions is also very welcome as I live in Germany and can't easily buy a lot of American products (Schiit for example - the Magni looks almost ideal for my needs, but the tax I would pay on importing it could be better spent on something better locally).

Apr 13, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:
I'm looking for something that can EASILY drive headphones like my vintage AKG K241 and vintage Beyerdynamic DT 990 (both 600 ohms) and also easily drive vintage planar magnetics/orthos like Yamaha HP3 or SFI drivers.

What I'm specifically looking for is something fairly cheap (ideally around $200) and has a LOW power consumption. I want to save my electricity bills for many years to come. 
I'm not looking for something super-hifi, but as long as it's close to having a black background and is almost neutral, then that's fine for my needs/wants.

I've been perfectly happily listening to most of my headphones on a vintage Fisher SS AV Receiver without problems, but it can be a little noisy on lower sensitivity headphones and obviously uses A LOT more electricity than modern headphone amps.
A list of suggestions is also very welcome as I live in Germany and can't easily buy a lot of American products (Schiit for example - the Magni looks almost ideal for my needs, but the tax I would pay on importing it could be better spent on something better locally).

i just got a fiio e9k, $109US, killer for the price , i'm very happy

Apr 13, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:
i just got a fiio e9k, $109US, killer for the price , i'm very happy

Have you tried it out with high resistance or hard to drive vintage headphones?

Apr 13, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #4 of 7
I think this fits your requirements perfectly: 

http://www.jdslabs.com/item.php?fetchitem=O2Full

O2BlackEdition_02.jpg

Quoting this review:

The short answer is that if you’re looking for transparency on a budget the O2 seems to fit the bill for the majority of combinations of users and headphones.

Quoting another review:

[size=medium]What I will say is that this amp is incredible, it is transparent, what goes in comes out clean and purely amped, not modified in any way.[/size]

I've never heard the O2 myself, but I've read many other testimonies, including some from people who prefer it over much more expensive amps.

Mike

Apr 13, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
Have you tried it out with high resistance or hard to drive vintage headphones?

no, sorry, spec wise, its rated for headphones up tp 600ohms
warm tonal balance

Apr 13, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
 no, sorry, spec wise, its rated for headphones up tp 600ohms
warm tonal balance

I think I'd prefer something closer to neutral. Thanks anyhow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back