Looking for easy to use mp3 player for mother with poor eyesight - quick help
Jun 28, 2007 at 11:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Veggie_Musician

500+ Head-Fier
Need to buy something - got her a Sony NWE002 but she finds it too difficult to use and screen too small.

I was thinking about the Samsung Z5 as it has a biger screen - how is the touchpad to use for someone thats not used to mp3 players?

Jun 28, 2007 at 12:13 PM Post #2 of 14
Look into one of the Rockbox-supported players.

http://www.rockbox.org

Rockbox has a large selection of fonts, so you could choose a very large font. Alternately, Rockbox has a voice interface which makes it usable even by those with no vision at all.

The Toshiba Gigabeat F40 runs Rockbox well, has a fairly large screen, and is very affordable.

Jun 28, 2007 at 2:19 PM Post #4 of 14
People with bad sight should avoid players with a display, because such players often change button assignment due to the part of the menu you're currently in. In this case I recommend iRiver S7. When your mother learns buttons placement and assignment then she will be able to operate it without looking at the player. Otherwise I suggest any generation of iPod Shuffle, with 1st gen being bigger and providing stellar sound quality, however not everybody likes iTunes.

Jun 28, 2007 at 2:52 PM Post #5 of 14
Stick with something without a touchpad, because she might find it difficult adjusting to it and understanding how to use it properly. I know my mom doesn't..

Jun 28, 2007 at 3:48 PM Post #8 of 14
As Febs said,
get a DAP supported by rockbox. With rockbox you can customize your WPS (while playing screen). So you'll be able to choose background and font colors, font size, album art, etc.
It's very good. I know because i've seen a in car WPS with HUGE font and minimal file info ...

Jun 28, 2007 at 6:20 PM Post #10 of 14
I've operated the Zen Stone, an iRiver T60, a Samsung YP-U2 and a first generation Shuffle in a pocket without looking at the controls (the Samsung and iRiver have a small screen).

The T9 would operate something like the Rio Carbon (which I can also operate "in the dark") -- overkill, yes, but I checked out prices for the factory refurbished units, and the prices were very attractive.

And what about the iRiver Clix2? More than you were considering perhaps, but it's all screen and the click controls might work for your mother. If the original Clix is less expensvie now, that could be an option, too.

Does your mother need any bookmarking features for audio books? Some players apparently do better than others regarding that.

At a higher/more expensive end of the scale, and mostly as an anecdote, my aging mother had a 3rd generation iPod I had gotten her, and she used and enjoyed it a lot. Then she went out and got herself a fifth generation iPod Video, and she still doesn't realize it plays video and would display family photos -- she said it was nice that iPod made the screen larger, because it was getting hard for her to read the screen on the third generation model!

Jun 28, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #11 of 14
id say go for a nano or something and rockbox it. you can definitely just throw a huge font on there, like others have suggested. and ipods ARE "fairly" straightforward in terms of choosing next track, play/pause etc.

Jun 28, 2007 at 8:08 PM Post #12 of 14
Zen Stone or Zen Stone Plus with its nice bright OLED screen (albiet a bit small)

Jun 29, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #13 of 14
I haven't tried Rockbox, and it sounds good for your mother's purposes (I hadn't realized you could "pump up" the font like that ... maybe I should do that for my mother's iPod). My 2nd generastion Nano is easy to operate -- but is Rockbox available for that yet? Of course, a 1st generation Nano would work with Rockbox, right? I like the 1st gen.'s looks, but the battery life is less than ideal.

So Rockboxing a player would give you several more options in your search.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back