Looking for durable buds/IEM's on a budget.
Dec 20, 2009 at 3:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

hardRAWKR

100+ Head-Fier
So, at the moment I only have one pair of portable headphones, and they have been through hell. About a year ago I cut off one of the buds accidentally while using scissors (shut up, I know I'm an idiot), and more recently they have developed a short, so the one remaining will often cut out and start playing at a much lower volume than normal.
Anyway, my point is that I need new headphones, and having bought AD700's recently, I doubt I'll be able to go back to using cheapo headphones, even for on the go.

So here's what I need-a good pair of buds or IEM's that are very durable, and I need them for under $100. The cheaper the better, because I don't want to spend a truckload of money just for them to break and be back where I started, but I also want at least decent quality. I definitely need isolation, because I'm often listening in the Commons and in the halls at my school, which can be very noisy.
So...any recommendations?

Dec 20, 2009 at 3:48 AM Post #3 of 20
The RE-0's are out. I've had a lot of headphones with the straight plug style break because the plug was bent and the phones shorted out.
The NE-6m's are the same as the 7's, just without the microphone, right? Because I don't need the microphone, and as I said, the cheaper the better!
biggrin.gif

Dec 20, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #6 of 20
Meelec M6 for the cheap side ($35), Klipsch S4 for the expensive side ($80). Both seem sturdy enough for me, but I'll admit I haven't owned either a particularly long time. From my experience, Sennheiser's IEM's tend to be reliable, Sony's not so much.

Note - I'm not sure that all S4's have L-shaped jacks.

Dec 20, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the RE0 have an angled plug tho..

Looks straight to me.
http://www.head-direct.com/upload/20...95558RE0-1.jpg

I think I'm gonna get the NE-6m's. Extremely good price and they look very durable.
smily_headphones1.gif
Thanks for the help.

Dec 20, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #8 of 20
thats a previous version of RE0..the current version is a different cable and the plug is angled

Dec 20, 2009 at 4:37 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by hardRAWKR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they look very durable.

So do ex-71's, but as anyone who's ever owned a pair will tell you, they're the exact opposite of reliable. A friend of mine went through three pairs in less than two years.

Dec 20, 2009 at 4:37 AM Post #10 of 20
Okay well I'm still going for the NE-6m's, unless someone knows of something better, mostly just because of the $50 or so difference in price.

Dec 20, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #11 of 20
Dec 20, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #13 of 20
Well, after a little research it looks like I've changed my mind to the AI-M6's. Similar price, from the reviews I've found a better build than the Ne-6's.
biggrin.gif

Dec 21, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by hardRAWKR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, after a little research it looks like I've changed my mind to the AI-M6's. Similar price, from the reviews I've found a better build than the Ne-6's.
biggrin.gif

AI-M6 at newegg right now for $25 with free shipping. i just bought myself a pair.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aconteceu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
second AI-M6 with the new cable in clear, angled plug and least microphonic

how do you tell if what youre buying is a "new" or "old" style AI-M6?

Dec 22, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil_Spork /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how do you tell if what youre buying is a "new" or "old" style AI-M6?

Anything with a clear or silvery cable is the new version. Also, the clear-bodied M6's did not exist before the revision so they are guaranteed to have the new cabling. As for the red/black ones, purchased directly from Meelec they should all be the new version. Purchased elsewhere, might be best to double check because retailers could be clearing old stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back