Looking for DTS 5.1-> Surround Headphone converter
Aug 28, 2018 at 12:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

tripletopper

Head-Fier
I tried the LDDB.com forum, but I have more answers given than recieved. Maybe someone can answer my question on Head-fi.org

Turtle Beach X41s and X42s can take both Dolby and DTS and convert it to Dolby Headphone on a game machine like an Xbox 360, PS3, and Xbox One. (Probably a PS4 too, not sure, as I don't own one.)

An interesting side effect is you can plug it in the Toslink (or Coaxial with a converter) port of a "stand-alone" Laser Disc-or-higher player and output the sound in Dobly or DTS 5.1 through the Toslink/Coaxial.

There is only one catch: Since the Turtle Beach is just a Dolby 5.1-> Dolby Headphone converter, a DTS movie is silent. I am looking for something similar to a Turtle Beach X41 or X42, except does it for DTS movies.

First Turtle Beach's DTS stuff only describes the DTS:X Headphone conversion process. There are 2 problems. ONE is you must set the Xbox One to Dolby. And 2 it converts external Dolby to an Internal DTS for it to work with DTS X:headphones. The point is it doesn't translate native DTS content into a headphone surround mix.

Second, I tried a different brand. I tried a Sony MDR-DS6500. It says it translates Dolby and DTS into headphone mixes. The Dolby mix it does okay, but the DTS is only a slight improvement over the Turtle Beach. Instead of silence, I get a 2 track stereo soundtrack that is weaker than the standard LPCM 2.0 Mix. In other words, it doesn't sound 3D.

Anyone know of a DTS 5.1-> Headphone converter that works with a stand-alone Laser Disc-or-higher player that accurately preserves the 3D sound stage?

Aug 29, 2018 at 12:30 AM Post #2 of 4
Smyth Realizer.

Can your laser disc decode and output 5.1 pcm?

Aug 29, 2018 at 2:02 AM Post #3 of 4
If I understand Laser Disc right, there is a digital audio and an analog track. On Dolby 5.1 movies, the left analog is analog mono, the right analog is AC3 RF, an analog form of Dolby 5.1 that has to get demodulated, and the digital track is either ProLogic or LPCM 2.0 (don't know the bit rate/hertz rate quality). On DTS discs, the analog are Analog L/R which I heard (not sure) you can encode it in Dolby Pro Logic, (I guess you can because you can encode 2 tracks to be 3D headphone surround eventually, so I believe it's possible now. Did it actually happen then? Not sure) and the digital tracks in DTS 5.1. There is not enough room on a laser disc to encode LPCM 5.1, even if all 4 soundtracks are used. But some discs used Analog L and Analog R to be director's and the cast's running commentary.

So going from LPCM 5.1 to Dolby 5.1 is not an option for any Laser Discs. It might be an option with Blu Ray. I would literally need it for only one disc, Apocalypto which has a 5.1 LPCM Mayan soundtrack exclusively and director commentary Dolby 2.0 as an alternate. But if I can get a separate LPCM 5.1->Dolby Headphone converter, then a DTS5.1 -> LPCM 5.1 wolud work jusrt as well. But for everytign excpet the laser disc, it's probably easier to buy a second Xbox One S for its DTS<->Dolby interconversions.

Besides my Laser DIsc player only has a Toslink out, an orange Coaxial RCA out, and a White L and Red R out. If I'm right, neither the Tolsink, the Coaxial not the L/R combinaiton can hold 5.1 channels of LPCM. Why do I think that? With Toslink options on both a PS3 and Xbox One, my only choices are LPCM 2.0 including LPCM 2.0 with higher bit rates and/or hertz rates, Dolby and DTS, but In HDMI I also have LCPM 5.1 and LPCM 7.1.

This might be a good way to convert the Wii U's LPCM 5.1 and the Switch's LPCM 7.1, if I can find a way to harness it and convert it using Dolby Headphones virtualization or DTS X:Headphone virtualization. But frankly, Nintendo's proprietary 2 track mix works well enough in headphones where I can dodge goblin strikes in Breath of the Wild. I don't know me cutting off the apple juice boss at the pass in Sonic Lost World was Dolby 5.1 or Nintendo's proprietary headphone mix, (the only reason why I question it is I see a Dolby Digital logo on the package), but if it works in the standard L/R without an HDMI->Toslink converter then it's the Nintendo headphone mix. It sounds so good that it sounds good in communal mono/really close stereo, but headphones really open it up. Those are 2 instances where headphones helped my gaming performance.

Sep 18, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #4 of 4
Hello. Zenvota.

You mention the Smyth Realizer. First, is the Smyth a 5.1 to 2.0 headphone surround mix converter?

My laser disc player outputs Dolby AC3 RF send is run through a Sony AC3 RF to Dolby 5.1 converter.

The pioneer ld player had 4 audio outputs: rca l/r, coaxial, toslink,nd a AC3 analog RCA.The sony has has straight coaxial input, an AC3 RF input , and a toslink input, and a toslink output and what seems like a discrete separated 5.1 rca output I believe.

Do i have what I need to get DTS headphone output.

Also can it do an HDMI LPCM 5.1-7.1 to 2.0 headphone mix? Is the headphone mix directionally accurate similar to a Turtle Beach?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back