Looking for DIY builders!
Apr 24, 2008 at 2:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Solid Snake

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello All,

I do apologize if this is in the wrong part of the forum. I thought it could be in the DIY forum but it seems that it is an instructional forum, instead of a seller/buyer environment.

I have been on a very long search for an amp that will suit my needs. I have heard that there are talented talented builders right here in Head-Fi. Now, as I kept searching and searching, reading through the forums, I have seen that it may be possible to have a DIY amp with a customized "bass knob." Now, I was wondering how the business works. Do I pick out the parts and you build it for me? Or do I explain the type of sound I am looking for and you tell me a price quote? The two important things I am looking for is clarity, and bass adjustment to the point where it will not sound to "boomy" or distort the sound to rather high levels.

Key Features:
- Clarity
- Adjustable Bass

PM if you are interested in building me one.

May 26, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #4 of 5
Hi,
I'm also in the market to find a builder for an amp, I was set on the PPA, but the M^3 looks interesting as well based on cursory glance.  I've built mic pre-amps before, but both had a higher level safety net if I bungled the project.  Any takers/suggestions?  please write directly to prklem at yahoo dot com .   I know I just joined here, but you can check my profiles under the same username at both http://messageboard.tapeop.com/ and ebay - I'm on the up and up.
Thanks,

May 27, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #5 of 5
I suggest you contact fred_fred2004. He's in Australia and builds superb little amps for prices that will impress. I've bought 3 amps from him in the last year-plus, each different, each fantastic; he made me a silver interconnect too. Brilliant. And a stand-alone cross-feed. The 18Volt RA-1 clone he produces is really special and there's a model of that design that has a variable bass boost. Yup, I'm a fan. He sells on eBay under Fred_fred_2004, ships worldwide for next to nothing and has some amps there right now. Here's a great one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190399202192&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Don't let the CMOY basic design scare you off. These are not low end products he's building. I've had several amps in the middle level (under $350USD), tube, solid state and hybrid. I've sold most of the others and would happily live out my days with just one of fred_fred2004s creations that cost be about $100 delivered. Easy bloke to deal with too.

Look him up; you'll be glad you did. I'm not in any way connected to him. You asked the question and I thought maybe this would help.

Cheers
Don

Users who are viewing this thread

Back