Looking for desktop dac/amp for on ear and bookshelf listening
May 10, 2014 at 10:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Buffs1

New Head-Fier
First timer here. I'm looking for a desktop dac/amp combo for on ear and bookshelf listening while working. I work from home, so I do on ear while the wife and kids are home then switch to computer speakers when they are out. So looking for a combo under $400 to hookup to my PC, to use with Grado SR80 and Philips M1 headphones along with new bookshelf speakers(shopping around).
Great community here, can't wait to attend a meetup in Chicago.

Thanks
David

May 10, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #2 of 4
Audio-GD makes some great DAC/headphone amp/pre-amps that would work well for your needs. For example.

However, you could probably spend about half your budget and be very happy. The Tubemagic D1 Plus is a good unit. Or, for even less, if you want to save your money towards better speakers or perhaps a new set of headphones, the Audioengine D1.

Are you going for powered monitors? The JBL LSR305s have gotten great reviews and testimonials since they came out last fall.

May 10, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks, I never thought about looking into powered speakers. I like your recommendations. That Audio Gd looks interesting, I'll look into what powered speakers would be a good match with it.

May 10, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #4 of 4
I use passive speakers with an amp in my desktop setup. But powered monitors can be really good choice, too :)

Don't worry about what monitors would match the Audio-GD. Any good powered monitor would work well with that DAC. The Audio-GD equipment has very good DAC implementation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back