looking for DDC for PC usage
May 21, 2024 at 4:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

oozy2007

New Head-Fier
looking for DDC for PC usage to convert the USB from my PC to I2S with DDC to DAC what are the best options on the market right now? with prices that range from 100$ to 700$. i don't know much of DDC but from what info i got it supposed to sound better and stop noise from PC that coming from USB, i just want to use it on my windows 11 with no servers or fancy programs and implement I2S from my DAC and get the benefits of DDC thanks for your help.

May 22, 2024 at 5:32 AM Post #2 of 8
I've had the Gustard U18, and went on a quest for a silent noise floor with every combination of PCIE USB cards, optical, hubs, and cables. I did blind, volume matched tests and read the measurements at Audiosciencereview and Archimago's Musings where he did extensive testing on things like the Corning optical USB cable vs other methods and different hubs.
Here's what I did and would recommend. First install and EMI detector app on your phone, which uses the magnetometer to measure interference on your USB ports to find the most quiet one. I simply got a good powered USB hub and put a ferrite choke on both the power cable and USB input cable right up where they go into the hub. With it plugged into the most quiet USB port on the PC, the noise floor is completely silent. If you want to take it to the next level, the Corning Optical USB cable is proven to be more quiet. I just use Amazon Basic USB cables or Monoprice, and even with the Topping A70Pro/D70 Octo I put together for a customer, the noise floor was silent on that setup. The other way I tested was with a Topping E50 on optical and a Topping L30 II amplifier which is amazingly quiet, same result. Inky black noise floor on the hub with ferrite chokes. I got one with on/off buttons for each port so they're not all powered and helps keep noise down even more.

When I got the Gustard U18 I really wanted to believe it was helping, but after doing blind volume matched tests, there just wasn't an audible difference. This was using the Hifiman Arya Stealth which would have revealed something in the noise floor. Save money and go with a hub and some ferrite chokes.

May 22, 2024 at 7:13 AM Post #3 of 8
There are many ways to tackle USB noise coming from PC. I'm using USB intona isolator with great success.

May 22, 2024 at 12:48 PM Post #5 of 8
I also want to use I2S on my PC and avoid USB if I can.
Really? Why asking for a USB to I2S conversion if you don't want to use USB?
Might it be you are trying to solve a problem you don't have?
Most of the time a USB DAC works flawless.
But not all of the time. If the receiver doesn't isolate sufficiently, you might have a noise problem.

Perhaps stating the obvious but converting from one protocol to another won't help at all. The problem is not the protocol but the noise riding on the electrical connection. The reason why an USB isolator or a optical connection is suggested is not the protocol but to galvanically isolate PC and DAC.
Anyway, this is what I2S does: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...face-better-for-dacs-than-s-pdif-or-usb.7105/

May 22, 2024 at 3:13 PM Post #6 of 8
Really? Why asking for a USB to I2S conversion if you don't want to use USB?
Might it be you are trying to solve a problem you don't have?
Most of the time a USB DAC works flawless.
But not all of the time. If the receiver doesn't isolate sufficiently, you might have a noise problem.

Perhaps stating the obvious but converting from one protocol to another won't help at all. The problem is not the protocol but the noise riding on the electrical connection. The reason why an USB isolator or a optical connection is suggested is not the protocol but to galvanically isolate PC and DAC.
Anyway, this is what I2S does: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/study-is-i²s-interface-better-for-dacs-than-s-pdif-or-usb.7105/
i mean i do want to use USB from my PC to go to the DDC and I2S from DDC to my DAC I2S connection basically i want my DAC to run I2S and DDC to give the best noise isolation and better clock system and lower jitter now i dont hear any noise from my PC but it does not mean that it does not affect the audio quality or maybe i'm wrong in my assumptions but i seen people on youtube review SINGXER SU6 and they said it improved their audio systems if they lie or not i dont know but it's quite interesting.

May 22, 2024 at 7:48 PM Post #7 of 8
looking for DDC for PC usage to convert the USB from my PC to I2S with DDC to DAC what are the best options on the market right now? with prices that range from 100$ to 700$. i don't know much of DDC but from what info i got it supposed to sound better and stop noise from PC that coming from USB, i just want to use it on my windows 11 with no servers or fancy programs and implement I2S from my DAC and get the benefits of DDC thanks for your help.
Denafrips Iris DDC. Did wonders for me. I had a DragonFly Jitterbug, and though it enhanced the vocal and mids, it never cleaned up the noise. The Iris did that and more. Now I get a darker background where bass in enhanced, soundstage is wider, details more apparent.

Denafrips Iris. Note the prices shown in the link is in Singapore dollars, the USA price is $556. You do need the USB driver which can be found > here. As for I2S, know that the unit connecting to the other side of the DDC needs to support I2S. If not, you can use Digital, Optical, AES, RJ45. This the backside of the DDC...

Iris.jpg

The only input of the "Iris" is USB. The other two Inputs are for the Denafrips Terminator DAC.

You can also run to multiple DACS. I have mine feeding my Denafrips Pontus DAC via I2S, and my Teac VRDS CD player with built in DAC via Optical cable. Zero issues. The size is small too 220W x 250D x 44H mm.

Many will tell you all sorts of things, but what works for them or their pocket, may not work for yours needs/wishes.

Questions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back