Looking for dark/"horror" classical/symphonic or ambient music
Aug 31, 2006 at 5:52 PM Post #16 of 35
Thanks a lot friends!
lambda.gif

Quote:

Also a classic is "Carmina Burana," by Orff.

Already familiar with Carmina Burana. Reminds me of LOTR soundtrack.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 31, 2006 at 6:05 PM Post #17 of 35
Ahh, how could I have forgotten:

Sopor Aeternus & The Ensemble of Shadows

Aug 31, 2006 at 6:18 PM Post #18 of 35
Dead Can Dance. SPLEEN AND IDEAL is a good place to start, though they do also have a "best of" called TOWARDS THE WITHIN (I think).. Very "Medieval" sounding, but mixed with modern goth rock.. very original for its time..

-jar

Sep 2, 2006 at 10:32 AM Post #19 of 35
I can only reccommend Lustmord. Although it's brilliant Dark Ambient music. Very broody and atmospheric. I'll suggest you check out the album Purifying Fire first, mainly the song Black Star.

Afterall, hearing Satan scream is a beautiful thing
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 2, 2006 at 6:10 PM Post #20 of 35
old but still great, aphex twin "selected ambient works" (1 and 2),
this is rather good ambient that can be interpreted anyway you like, i often find it morbid but intriguing, & he has an obsessive following a little bit like the tech guru's in here
280smile.gif
!!

Dec 22, 2007 at 2:17 PM Post #21 of 35
Throbbing Gristle, Masonna :p

Dec 31, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #23 of 35
Have you heard of Max Richter? His music is not horror-inspired, but it has a strong noir/cinematic quality to it. I find his music quite emotionally stirring and haunting, in any case, and I tend to like darker stuff with a tastefully sinister edge.

Jan 1, 2008 at 4:00 PM Post #24 of 35
Nope, but it sounds interesting. Going to look for some samples. Can you recommend any song and/or album to check out first?

Jan 1, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #25 of 35
I always think that Poulenc's Concerto for Organ and Strings is just fantastic for horror music: much better, IMHO, than some of the other classical music recommended so far, but maybe that's because it's less well known.

Jan 1, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #27 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sordel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I always think that Poulenc's Concerto for Organ and Strings is just fantastic for horror music: much better, IMHO, than some of the other classical music recommended so far, but maybe that's because it's less well known.

Listened some samples on Amazon. Seems very interesting, though the samples are only couple of seconds long. Thanks!

Jan 1, 2008 at 8:09 PM Post #28 of 35
Fantômas - Delirium Cordia

46227f.jpg

The CD booklet has pictures of surgical procedures in progress.

The music is a very ineresting slice of the avant garde and on occasion will make the hair stand up on the back of your neck.

Oh, I almost forgot. The subtitle of this CD is "Surgical Sound Specimens from the Museum of Skin" if that's any indication of what you are in for.

--Jerome

Jan 1, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #29 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaliga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fantômas - Delirium Cordia

46227f.jpg

The CD booklet has pictures of surgical procedures in progress.

The music is a very ineresting slice of the avant garde and on occasion will make the hair stand up on the back of your neck.

Oh, I almost forgot. The subtitle of this CD is "Surgical Sound Specimens from the Museum of Skin" if that's any indication of what you are in for.

--Jerome

The song title sounds like its from some other over-the-top gory Death Metal or Goregrind band. Might be interesting.
biggrin.gif

Jan 1, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #30 of 35
No, it isn't death metal or grindcore. It is mostly dark ambient, but trying to put a label on it is very difficult (which is true of any Fantômas music).

I gave it a recommendation based on your first post as this is very dark and qualifies as ambient. If you were interested in other dark music besides orchestral and ambient then I probably would have recommended a few early Swans albums such as Filth, Cop, Greed, or Holy Money. I call it "theme music for the apocalypse." If you want to check them out there are a few Swans videos on Youtube. The video of the song Beautiful Child will give you some idea of what early Swans music was all about.

--Jerome

Users who are viewing this thread

Back