Looking for dark/"horror" classical/symphonic or ambient music
Aug 30, 2006 at 9:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

MaZa

Headphoneus Supremus
I simply love dark, emotionally strong but spine shrillingly cold and grim music, epic and slow, overall haunting. Does anyone know good composers and or albums that contains this type of music? Anything from symphonic movie-scores, classical/romantic/gothic/baroque-or-whatever-era-contained-this-type-of-music, ambient and so on.

Some hints for styles im looking for:

Bachs legendary Toccata & Fugue is great. Also Olivier Lattry - Apparition de l Eglise Eternelle really builds up to some fantastic, spine shrilling cold (dis?)harmony. Simply fantastic piece.

John Williams - Star Wars VI - Final Duel. The part with Darth Vader searching and taunting Luke, which was hiding in shadows, and eventually leading Luke to give in for his anger. I guess everyone remembers that scene and that wonderfull, epic music in background. Also Emperors Theme is so great with all those spooky choirs and all.

Burzum - Hlidskjalf. Fantastic ambient album with very nordic themes and story. Some are sorrowfull, some filled with hate. Wonderfull album for all ambient fans.

Raison D'etre - In Sadness, Silence and Solitude. Also fantastic ambient album. Very haunting and disturbing.

Aug 30, 2006 at 10:50 PM Post #2 of 35
berlioz
symphony fantastique

wendy carlos
music from "the shining" (lost treasures series)

philip glass
akhnaten

legiti
requiem

Aug 30, 2006 at 10:55 PM Post #3 of 35
Heres one from Left field, but check out Fantomas: Directors Cut...

Fantastic renditions of film scores, in a haunting "Mike Patton" kind of way.

Stand out tracks include "The Omen", "Henry: portrait of a serial Killer", "Twin Peaks: fire walk with me",and "Cape Fear"

All very ambient and kinda spooky.

Aug 31, 2006 at 12:43 AM Post #4 of 35
Sol Invictus - "Lex Talionis"
Sophia - "Herbstwerk"
Karjalan Sissit - "Miserere"
Desiderii Marginis - "Songs Over Ruins"
Archon Satani - "Of Rituals Lost and Forgotten"
Ulf Söderberg - "Vindarnas Hus"
Aghast - "Hexerei Im Zwielicht der Finsternis"

Aug 31, 2006 at 2:03 AM Post #5 of 35
Check out pretty much ANY composition from Pérotin la Grande, it's all slow, melodic, haunting kind of stuff. C'est magnifique.

Aug 31, 2006 at 2:18 AM Post #6 of 35
Dark and Spooky:

1) Any symphony of Humphrey Searle (he wrote the soundtrack for the original -- and great -- The Haunting). The symphonies are equally spine tingling.

2) Rachmaninoff: Isle of the Dead

3) Liadov: Baba Yaga, The Enchanted Lake, Kikimora

4) Balakirev: Tamara

5) Franz Schmidt: Symphony 4

Aug 31, 2006 at 2:52 AM Post #7 of 35
Elend - Lecons des Tenebres, Les Tenebres du Dehors, The Umbersun, Winds Devouring Men, Sunwar the Dead

Dargaard- Eternity Rites, The Dissolution of Eternity, Rise and Fall

Chaostar - Threnody, The Scarlet Queen

Dark Sanctuary - L'etre las l'envers du miroir, Les Memoires Blessees

Shape of Despair - Shades Of...

are just a few

Aug 31, 2006 at 6:17 AM Post #9 of 35
Thanks! I guess searching and listening these keep me busy for a while now.
lambda.gif

Aug 31, 2006 at 7:06 AM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by nibiyabi
Let's see . . . epic and symphonic? Look up Nightwish, mostly their latest album Once.

But so untr00 and far from grim, norsk KVLT blackmetal!
evil_smiley.gif
Ok, i like some songs from nightwish like Sleeping Sun...

But this thread is about ambient, classical/symphonic, organ and choir music, not metal.

Aug 31, 2006 at 1:09 PM Post #13 of 35
I can't believe nobody mentioned Saint Saens- Dance Macabre.

Also, go to the Reference Recordings website and order the Mephisto & Co. cd because this is a compilation of some of the type of stuff you're looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back