Looking for dac with bluetooth output
Aug 16, 2020 at 6:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Paco112

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,
I am currently looking for a dac with a built in bluetooth transmitter, since my pc doesn't have that. I've seen that more and more dacs can receive bt audio, but i can't seem to find one that also has a bt output. I would be very grateful if someone could suggest a dac that fits my needs because i don't want to buy one of those stand-alone transmitters that have suspiciously many five star ratings on amazon...
Many thanks in advance!

Aug 16, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #2 of 22
Well, not what you asked but... I have a stand alone usb to bluetooth transmitter, and it's good: Creative BT-W2. I use it from a Raspberry Pi 4 with Volumio and it's great. Also tried it on my Windows PC and it's better than the PC's Bluetooth.

And Creative recently released the new BT-W3, with APTX HD.

Aug 16, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #4 of 22
I don't usualy watch movies or videos with headphones, but tested it when I got it and did not noticed any delay. It has APTX Low Latency, precisely for that use case (the headphones need to have APTX LL also to work, of course).

Aug 17, 2020 at 2:19 AM Post #5 of 22
Looking for dac with bluetooth output
Hey guys,
I am currently looking for a dac with a built in bluetooth transmitter, since my pc doesn't have that. I've seen that more and more dacs can receive bt audio, but i can't seem to find one that also has a bt output. I would be very grateful if someone could suggest a dac that fits my needs because i don't want to buy one of those stand-alone transmitters that have suspiciously many five star ratings on amazon...
Many thanks in advance!

Do you mean BT input ie receiver? Because a DAC is a Digital to Analogue Converter, BT transmit in digital. A DAC-ed signal can't get transmitted via BT anymore unless you ADC the DACed signal again to get DACed by the BT device that receives it.

If so check out the Fiio Q5.

Aug 17, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #6 of 22
Do you mean BT input ie receiver? Because a DAC is a Digital to Analogue Converter, BT transmit in digital. A DAC-ed signal can't get transmitted via BT anymore unless you ADC the DACed signal again to get DACed by the BT device that receives it.

If so check out the Fiio Q5.
I do know what a dac does, but i am looking for one that has a bt transmitter function, considering that the bluetooth chips that are used in some dacs should be able to receive and transmit (Qualcomm CSR8675 for example).

Aug 17, 2020 at 6:26 PM Post #7 of 22
The only device that sounds close to this is the NAD D3020 V2 digital integrated amplifier which can receive and transmit Bluetooth.

I use a Sennheiser Btt100 transmitter connected to my Xbox One via optical.

Aug 18, 2020 at 12:51 AM Post #8 of 22
I do know what a dac does, but i am looking for one that has a bt transmitter function, considering that the bluetooth chips that are used in some dacs should be able to receive and transmit (Qualcomm CSR8675 for example).

There are few such devices, mostly by speaker gear/home theater electronics manufacturers, for the same reasons why A/Vreceivers have Zone 2 output etc.

But just like Zone 2 being a pass through for sources hooked up to the HT receiver and then requires another integrated amp (ie not just a power amp; and in most cases you can't even use the A/VR's amplifier section as dedicated Zone 2 unless they're at least 7.x with only a permanently 5.1 main system), whatever is at the receiving end needs to have its own DAC (Digital to Analogue Converter) to DAC the signal ie so that digital 110100010010101000101011001010110101001010110100010011 passed via BT and convert it into an analogue electronic signal that will then be amplified to move speakers that will then move air so you can hear the CD changer/music server out on the patio speakers (as opposed to just cranking up the HT system so you can hear it through the wall).

In short the reason why I ask is getting something like this will be expensive and doubles on some equipment depending on what exactly it is you're trying to do.

So, yeah...what do you currently have and what exactly do you need it to do?

Aug 18, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #9 of 22
There are few such devices, mostly by speaker gear/home theater electronics manufacturers, for the same reasons why A/Vreceivers have Zone 2 output etc.

But just like Zone 2 being a pass through for sources hooked up to the HT receiver and then requires another integrated amp (ie not just a power amp; and in most cases you can't even use the A/VR's amplifier section as dedicated Zone 2 unless they're at least 7.x with only a permanently 5.1 main system), whatever is at the receiving end needs to have its own DAC (Digital to Analogue Converter) to DAC the signal ie so that digital 110100010010101000101011001010110101001010110100010011 passed via BT and convert it into an analogue electronic signal that will then be amplified to move speakers that will then move air so you can hear the CD changer/music server out on the patio speakers (as opposed to just cranking up the HT system so you can hear it through the wall).

In short the reason why I ask is getting something like this will be expensive and doubles on some equipment depending on what exactly it is you're trying to do.

So, yeah...what do you currently have and what exactly do you need it to do?
I can basically only repeat myself, I'm looking for a dac that has the additional feature of a built in Bluetooth transmitter. If a standalone device for less than 100€/$ can receive a signal via toslink or usb and transmit a BT signal, why should it suddenly be expensive to add something like this to a dac? And as I have already pointed out, there are quite a few dacs using a bluetooth chip for receiving that, according to qualcomm, is able to receive and transmit BT audio signals.
Obviously i also need a device with a built in dac at the receiving end, every bluetooth headphone has a dac built in...

Aug 19, 2020 at 12:11 AM Post #10 of 22
I can basically only repeat myself, I'm looking for a dac that has the additional feature of a built in Bluetooth transmitter. If a standalone device for less than 100€/$ can receive a signal via toslink or usb and transmit a BT signal, why should it suddenly be expensive to add something like this to a dac?

1. Because it's made by companies that aren't practically randos on AliExpress. And also

2. Also by "expensive" it's not just the device itself, it's that it doubles on some equipment depending on what exactly it is you're trying to do, in other words the reason why it's important for me to know what you already have and what exactly you're trying to do ie how you want the signal to flow is important so you don't spend on devices that could otherwise do the same job ie streamline your overall expenditure.

3 .If you already know such a device that can do that then just get that one.

4. If you mean the $100 device is just a DDC and you're thinking you just cram that into a DAC, here's the problem: your use case (which I still don't completely understand, since you can't lay it out clearly other than repeating yourself) is presumably so esoteric while DAC manufacturers make their chassis as small as possible so now you have to go with a larger DAC that instead of having features that a larger chunk of the market needs needs a niche feature that you're looking for that might actually already be built into other devices and can be done without a "DAC with a BT transmitter."

Because, again, the core problem with asking for a "DAC with a BT transmitter" is that the DAC will DAC the D to C it into an A, but BT transmits in D signals. Therefore why would you DAC ie C the D signal into an A signal when what you want is to send it out as a D signal which then requires you to, overall, run a highly circuitous chain where you DAC the signal ie C the D to an A signal only to need to ADC the A signal ie C the A back into D so you can wirelessly transmit the D signal.

Confused? Yeah that's exactly why I'm asking for details here. Because I'm hella confused why you want to DAC a signal when you want to transmit it as a D so why bother DAC-ing the D into A only to have to ADC the A back to D so it can flow wirelessly because BT isn't pre-Sirius FM radio.

And as I have already pointed out, there are quite a few dacs using a bluetooth chip for receiving that, according to qualcomm, is able to receive and transmit BT audio signals.
Obviously i also need a device with a built in dac at the receiving end, every bluetooth headphone has a dac built in...

Because just because one chip and antennae hooked up to it can work both ways it doesn't mean the rest of the circuit it's on can also work both ways.

You send a signal to DAC it will DAC the signal by going C on the D to make it an A, but BT only works in D. So that DAC unit only uses a BT receiver to wirelessly receive the D that it can DAC, ie, C the incoming wireless D to become an A.

If you hook up a cable to a DAC unit you send a D through a wire that then DACs the D ie C the D into an A, so now that A has to go into an amplifier circuit, and therefore it being an A can not be transmitted as wireless D unless you ADC it again ie C the A to become a D again.

And because BT transmits in D, then not only can you not transmit an A from a DAC if you put a transmitter on it, the D is received wirelessly which then has to get DAC-ed by the BT headphone's DAC circuit because it received a D that needs to get C'd into an A signal that its amp chip can amplify to move the transducers so you can hear something. At least until Elon Musk's new "wired into brain" headphone system comes, at which point you don't need a DAC, you just get a D wirelessly then it goes straight into your brain, eliminating hte need to DAC the signal ie C the D into an A than can be amplified to move a transducer that moves air that produces sound that vibrates your eardrums.

If you're comparing it to a headset that can go both ways, that's not simply a matter of Ali Express vs NAD prices. It's because it doesn't just have a DAC, it has an ADC for the mic in the same way that a hi-fi DAC+HPamp unit only hasa DAC and headphone amplifier circuit while a pro audio interface has a DAC+HPamp+Mic Preamp+ADC so you can hear what the rest of your band already recorded then you sing or play along to it that the recording engineer working at home can put into the final mix.

Oct 6, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #12 of 22
OP just wanted a device that could do both DAC and BT transmitting. I was also looking exactly that and found my way here from search. Some DACs have nice BT chips, but transmission is not implemented. So it looks like the technology is not there yet. We have to use something like Creative BT-W3 or Avantree BT transmitters.

May 23, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #13 of 22
I have the same needs, which is to connect my computer to the device, and then have the device be connected to the amp for normal amp/speaker listening. But then sometimes I would want to use my bluetooth headphones (I also have a Fiio BTR5 for non-bluetooth headphones) when my girlfriend is working at the apartment, especially when she's on a a conference call. I would think that this is becoming more and more common these days with work from home situations?

Not all of us have big houses with multiple rooms on opposite ends of the house or have a sound proof room for listening :D

What about these:
ifi zen blue
Fiio BTA30
topping dx3 pro

As far as I know they all can broadcast Bluetooth. I'm leaning toward the Fiio BTA30 since it's the least expensive and will do the work. It can only do one of the three functions though (BT transmitter, BT receiver, or DAC). Hope this helps.

May 24, 2021 at 5:44 AM Post #14 of 22
As far as I know they all can broadcast Bluetooth.
Are you sure?
The BTA30 is the only one stated as a transceiver, the others are receivers as far as I can decipher from the specs.

I would think that this is becoming more and more common these days with work from home situations?
Sure it is.
No reason to have your pc sending audio over USB to a DAC and having it converted there to BT audio.
You simply connect your BT headphone straight to the PC or phone and be done with it.

May 24, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #15 of 22
Are you sure?
The BTA30 is the only one stated as a transceiver, the others are receivers as far as I can decipher from the specs.

Sure it is.
No reason to have your pc sending audio over USB to a DAC and having it converted there to BT audio.
You simply connect your BT headphone straight to the PC or phone and be done with it.
You can't get LDAC or apt-x with a Windows PC on bluetooth.
As far as I know the signal path is digital USB > BT chip > BT transmitter. I don't think it gets converted to analog and then back to digital (there isn't an A/D converter anyway?).

Many phones don't support LDAC or apt-x either.

I see plenty of reason to have the PC sending audio over USB to a device that can broadcast BT audio in apt-x or LDAC. I have most of my media on my computer, not on my phone. I don't have a subscription to spotify or any of the streaming services that has an app for my phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back