Looking for custom IEMs with a similar sound signature as the AKG K701 headphones
Nov 8, 2013 at 6:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

reindeer

New Head-Fier
I have tried several iems and I feel that a lot of them don't really suit what I like. I really love how the K701s sound (really clear and detailed and less bass though it's still deep) and was hoping to get recommendations on custom IEMs that have a similar sound signature priced at around $500. It'll be an added bonus if they allow carbon fibre faceplates as a customization option.

Nov 10, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #2 of 6
The key to the sound signature of the K 701 is its very large sound stage.  You're not going to get that with an IEM or (even) a closed can.  Come to think of it, only a few open & semi-open cans outside this AKG family of cans compare.

Nov 10, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #3 of 6
For that price you can get Heir Audio CIEM's: http://www.heiraudio.com/

You can customize just about anything on them including faceplate, materials, cables etc.

Dec 6, 2013 at 8:36 AM Post #5 of 6
i haven't personally heard the K701 myself b/c i'm a neophite to headphones but I've auditioned different cans in the store (Sennheissers, AT ATH-M50, Shure SRH440/840, AKG K271/K240).  I'm finding that my ears prefer the AKG sound signature too.  I picked up the K171 HD last week but will want something with 50mm drivers for fuller sound.  Do you recommend K701 for that?.

Dec 6, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #6 of 6
i own a q701 and i can definitely vouch for the sound of the etymotic hf5, which you can order custom tips for (though i used the triple flange tips myself). Sure, the hf5's doesnt have the soundstage, but they have the micro detail, the balanced bass, glorious upper mids, and innofensive treble. And they have almost no sibilance as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back