Looking for comfortable on-ear headphones
Jan 19, 2014 at 12:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

LimeANite

100+ Head-Fier
I've been in and out of Head-fi for the past few years, and I've been pretty happy with the last setup I put together (D2000s with a Hifiman ef-2a amp/dac). However, I recently picked up a tablet, and I find myself listening to music and watching movies in bed or curled up on the couch more and more frequently. While I love the D2000s, they just don't work very well for that sort of thing. The cups run into pillows, or whatever I'm leaning on, and the cable is way too long to use portably. Instead, I've been using a set of Skullcandy Fix iems that I got a while back. They're not bad, but not the most comfortable things ever. So with that in mind, I'm looking for a pair of headphones that's relatively light, portable, and without huge ear cups. IEMs don't work very well for me due to my ear shape, and I can't afford customs right now, so on-ears would seem to be the best option, unless someone can recommend a pair of over-ears with lower-impact ear cups. Budget-wise, I'm looking to keep it under $200, with a hard limit of $300 if there's a good reason to spend that much.

Edit: Whoops, posted this from mobile, so I missed the banner saying to post all requests to the requests forum. Sorry about that.

Jan 19, 2014 at 2:25 AM Post #3 of 5
Depends on what kind of music you usually listen to. I've been using the P3, which is pretty engaging for modern music i.e. pop, hip-hop, trance etc. However, it does sound slightly veiled if you want to listen to acoustic or classical music. I'd say the P5 should do quite well too.

The ML Mikros 90 has come up a few times in other threads as a set of good headphone, although I personally haven't tried it myself (can't seem to find it with any retailer in Australia).

Jan 19, 2014 at 2:37 AM Post #5 of 5
Depends on what kind of music you usually listen to. I've been using the P3, which is pretty engaging for modern music i.e. pop, hip-hop, trance etc. However, it does sound slightly veiled if you want to listen to acoustic or classical music. I'd say the P5 should do quite well too.

The ML Mikros 90 has come up a few times in other threads as a set of good headphone, although I personally haven't tried it myself (can't seem to find it with any retailer in Australia).

I listen to pretty wide variety of music. Lots of vocal-heavy stuff ranging from pop to celtic traditional, some trance, rock, alternative/indie. The MLs are definitely on my radar, especially at their current price.

As far as sound signatures go, I really like my D2000s, which are more of a fun signature than balanced. Not really bass bloated, but definitely leaning in that direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back