Looking for closed cans $150 or lower
Nov 30, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #16 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by mritt400 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess you could try for the best of both worlds. See if Headroom will price match the SRH840's and qualify for the reduced price on the BitHead. Not sure if they'll do it but it might be worth a shot if you have ~210.

Actually, if they did match it, the group would be about 250...$99 for amp, $150 for cans

Nov 30, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #17 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Logue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, if they did match it, the group would be about 250...$99 for amp, $150 for cans

Sorry mate, ~250. I was so excited for you that my brain could not process numbers at the time, I am happy to say I have since recovered - I would still give it a shot that is a pretty good value @ 250 for what you are getting...

Nov 30, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #18 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by mritt400 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry mate, ~250. I was so excited for you that my brain could not process numbers at the time, I am happy to say I have since recovered - I would still give it a shot that is a pretty good value @ 250 for what you are getting...

hrhr. happens to me all the time. i am usually stunned again when I receive my credit card bill.

Dec 1, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #19 of 35
You should be able to get the Shure 840 for $150. Major bargain for an awesome closed phone.

Dec 1, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #20 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Palpatine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should be able to get the Shure 840 for $150. Major bargain for an awesome closed phone.

I'm starting to think I won't be able to, the place i found the price at was amazon, and the headroom site has a policy where they meet or beat the competition's price as long as it's a us based authorized seller...the authorized part is what i'm worried about.

Dec 4, 2009 at 4:42 AM Post #22 of 35
Apparently, Sarjo Group, the group i was looking at that had the price of $150 on amazon, well, they aren't authorized to sell anything from either Shure audio OR Monster Audio, and neither group is quite sure how Sarjo got their equipment.

However, the reply email also stated that the best "100% Authorized Price" that headroom will match is actually $150 anyway.

Thank you everyone for your input. I am most likely going to go with the 840's and it's 50/50 on the amp.

Dec 14, 2009 at 9:13 AM Post #26 of 35
HD555 is not closed..
MS-1 is not closed either.

When I did my research, RP-21 sounds better...RP-22 has too much boomy bass and covers up other sounds. I bought my pair of RP-21 modded with velor pad. According to others, this improves the sound but I have not A/B tested them.

They are very comfortable and sounds pretty good to my untrained ears. I have no use of my RP-21 right now..if you want pm me with an offer.

Dec 15, 2009 at 11:35 AM Post #27 of 35
the Denon is the most "hifi" of the phones you list that need the least amplification, if that makes sense. I have heard about half of the listed devices, but I do know some of them are really going to have trouble sounding their best srtraight out of a zune. Some are really efficient, such as the open HD555s, but they sound dark, a lot don't like. I just use PortaPros if I take my DAP with me... love those things.
I really want to get teh 25th aniversary editions. Don't know why, but those PortaPros look NICE. The normal ones are somewhat bland, but still sound amazing for the price. I wish I knew more about them back in the 80s. I wated a lot of money on phones that certainly never made it... beyond one pair of Sony sport headphones they still sell, anyway, The 25th ed. cost a bit more, like 50-60 dollars I think. Still hardly anything compared to the sound. You can then devote money into a nice little desktop amp and then you can forget this mess and buy whatever headphones yo want.

But... The AH-D1001s do sound nice, and more amping doesn't do a lot for them, unlike some of the others there. Straight out of the Zune on lossless files or 320k LAME MP3, they are going to sound very open, clear, and controlled. They will go lower as they break in but never be bass monsters. They are accurate. If you want something that can be driven by just about anything and still go into the sub bass range, but in a controlled way, get the XB700s from Sony. They are looked over a lot, but these are not fart cannons, and the box is just marketing hype. They use a good 50mm driver and are extremely efficient. Add to that, they look nice, and can be worn for hours, so no fatigue physically, or sonically. I use them at work out of a USB E-MU 0202. USB powered, that is only 5v. That isn't much, really, (though often it is ore about current), they are probably the best sounding 'phones I have ever hooked up to that thing, and I have plugged in Shures, Senns of various types, AKGs, Denons, Koss (which do well too, but aren't made so much for the office), Sony MDR v700s (same drivers as XB700s, but not nearly as good for music), and some other Sony monitors that can be compared to the v6, I just don't remember their model numbers. The XBs trouced them when it came to sound for the "watt", or unit of power. I can wear them all damn day without physical fatigue due to the ear pillows, plus I don't worry about sound fatigue as they are as smooth as butter, but controlled in the bass range. They just go looooooow when the music calls for it. Call them accurate bass monsters. A budget basshead's best friend, I don't know, but while at home I am addicted to the Shures, they are on a powerful amp and a non-os DAC. The Denons do surprise me, though, as they sound rather nice as well when broken in, when I plugged them into the E-MU. If the Zune can muster enough power to satisfy them, I would put them up there with anything else that runs off a portable.

Dec 21, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #28 of 35
There have been a lot of votes for the Audio-Technica ATH-M50

also, it might be good to add that no, I decided not to buy an amp, so my headphone choice should be good for portable, no-amp whatsoever, listening.

I looked at the Sony MDR-XB700, and they said the cord design was "silly"?
From what i've read, the cord is short, but is that the only reason someone would call them "silly"?

As for the RP-21, sorry, but I really can't get over the looks, not really interested. I usually don't care, but with these, something just doesn't work for me.

From what I understand, the AH-D1001 may need an amp, verify?
Other than that, does anyone see a reason not to go with the AH-D1001's?

And again, any reviews on the Shure Srh840's?

Dec 21, 2009 at 8:42 AM Post #30 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Logue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, real quick, is there a difference, other than color, between the Denon AHD1001S and the Denon AHD1001K

As I know the only difference is the color.

The Denons and the M50s dont really need an amp, but the Shures need it a bit. But thats just what I've read here.
The M50s are really fine with my Cowon S9 unamped

Users who are viewing this thread

Back