Looking for closed cans $150 or lower
Nov 29, 2009 at 2:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Sean Logue

New Head-Fier
I listen to everything from disturbed to linkin park to tso to rise against to santana to basshunter.

I have a list of some headphones others have suggested but I'm looking for mainly sq over looks

Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Shure SRH440
Denon AHD1001K
Equation RP-21
Equation rp22x
Sennheiser HD280

And just because of a friend's suggestion,
Sennheiser HD 555

However, I am not looking for something that looks like the HARMAN K81DJ (http://www.akg.com/mediendatenbank2/...e0116217d5.JPG) or Audio-Technica ATH-ES7 (http://clearnote.files.wordpress.com...ead-phones.jpg),
Rather something with more of a Audio-Technica ATH-M50 (http://audiotechnica.files.wordpress...ca_ath-m50.jpg) style.

I currently have a Zune 30g but am seriously considering getting the 32g Zune hd.

I do not have an amp, an I am not looking to buy one, so if any of these are geared towards using one in addition to the cans, then that isn't something I'm looking for.

If you have any comments or opinions on these, if you think they are worth the price or not, or if you even have other suggestions, feel free to post them.

Thanks

Nov 29, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #4 of 35
HD 25-1 II's or Shure SRH-840's. Both can be had for about $150. Both... AMAZING!

Nov 29, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #5 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by nyjets28 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can't comment on all of them, but from rp21, denon 1001, and hd280, definitely gonna recommend the denon 1001. actually headroom has a sale right now for the denon's. i think 90 + free shipping

x2 for the AH-D1001S from Headroom. If you get these you should qualify for the BitHead for $99 - totaling a little over your target budget of $150 however. Even though these should work fine without an amp it would be nice to have a little amp for your surely-soon-to-be-growing, headphone collection! Oh, and free shipping...

Nov 29, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #6 of 35
I'm listening to a set of Shure SRH840's right now, and actually listening to Disturbed's latest album. I was listening to a lot of trance earlier.. These headphones are simply amazing if you can get them for 150.

They have excellent mids, nice highs without being piercing, and decent bass, not overpowering for me. I also find them very comfortable.

I did also listen to set of rp21's earlier today and they have what seemed to me a very flat spectrum with gobs of bass, I prefer the Shures over them without question, but that is ofcourse only my opinion.

I also listened to the Audio Technica ATH-M50's, I liked these better than the rp21's, they were more fun, with decent bass, not as good of mids as the Shures 840s, and the highs were very bright.

Overall I found the Shures SRH840 to be in my opinion the best from auditioning them all for some time. They sound very very balanced, which is hard to rival at that price point. If the Shures were not an option, I would have went with the Audio Technica ATH-M50s, Hopefully that can help you some.

Nov 29, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #7 of 35
The Headroom deal really is a must-have. Too bad I just bought the Denon from Head-Fi. He's a great guy so it's all good. And I spent less than the $90 but it's a great deal. $99 for a Bithead? Sweet

Nov 29, 2009 at 11:30 PM Post #10 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by mritt400 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2 for the AH-D1001S from Headroom. If you get these you should qualify for the BitHead for $99 - totaling a little over your target budget of $150 however. Even though these should work fine without an amp it would be nice to have a little amp for your surely-soon-to-be-growing, headphone collection! Oh, and free shipping...

How worth it is getting an amp in the first place? As you can probably tell, I'm lost with this whole amp business
confused.gif
, I don't quite understand how much it alters the sq or if that's what it alters at all.

Someone is offering to pay for up to $100 of my headphones or other items, so is $90 for headphones plus $99 for an amp worth it?

Nov 29, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #14 of 35
The site selling the Bithead amp for $99 requires you buy a set of headphones from them so you get the 60 dollars off, otherwise it would be about $160 for the amp alone.

The SRH 840 is sold there for about $200.
At other places it is sold for about $150.

Now, the AH-D1001S is sold for $90 at HeadRoom (the site with the amp deal) but from what everyone has been saying, they aren't as good as the SRH 840's.

Which is a better deal?
SRH840 for $150
or
AH-D1001S and amp for about $190

Nov 30, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean Logue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The site selling the Bithead amp for $99 requires you buy a set of headphones from them so you get the 60 dollars off, otherwise it would be about $160 for the amp alone.

The SRH 840 is sold there for about $200.
At other places it is sold for about $150.

Now, the AH-D1001S is sold for $90 at HeadRoom (the site with the amp deal) but from what everyone has been saying, they aren't as good as the SRH 840's.

Which is a better deal?
SRH840 for $150
or
AH-D1001S and amp for about $190

I guess you could try for the best of both worlds. See if Headroom will price match the SRH840's and qualify for the reduced price on the BitHead. Not sure if they'll do it but it might be worth a shot if you have ~210.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back