Looking for closed back recommendations
Mar 25, 2019 at 9:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

musiclover666

100+ Head-Fier
I recently picked up a set of dt770 pros and i like the overall sound just miss a bit of the midrange. So i am wondering about closed back midcentric cans that are under 300. I've heard akg 240 mkii or shure srh840 might be decent for mid forward cans. My listening preferences are rock and metal. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Mar 25, 2019 at 10:43 PM Post #3 of 25
I had the HP50’s and they did sound good but they did not fit me at all. I had to put them on the largest setting before they would touch the bottom of my ear as they don’t swivel that way and the top of the headband was like a inch above my head. Out of the 18 headphones I have now none fit that bad. They could fit you and that would be great as they do sound pretty good.

Mar 25, 2019 at 11:54 PM Post #5 of 25
What's everyone's opinions on the srh840?

Mar 26, 2019 at 2:25 AM Post #6 of 25
What's everyone's opinions on the srh840?
I think you'd like them. I listen to the same genres, and the 840s are pretty good with them. Closed in sounding, but I've drawn the conclusion that Soundstage isn't necessary with rock and metal. They're aggressive, forward and dynamic enough, yet relatively balanced. Some people consider them boring. You can hop on YouTube and listen to Z's sound demo. Obviously not exact, but it will give you a flavor of what they offer. Use your most balanced, flat sounding headphones to listen with.
Another you may want to look into is the 1 more triple driver over ear.

Mar 26, 2019 at 5:44 PM Post #7 of 25
I'm definitely leaning towards the 840s. By your suggestion it sounds like everything I'm looking for. "Boring " meaning relatively flat or no frequencies really stick out? As long as i can get better mids than the dt770 I'll be happy. Thanks for the input

Mar 26, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #8 of 25
I'm definitely leaning towards the 840s. By your suggestion it sounds like everything I'm looking for. "Boring " meaning relatively flat or no frequencies really stick out? As long as i can get better mids than the dt770 I'll be happy. Thanks for the input
Not boring, just not overly engaging. Forward and aggressive enough with some energy to sound good with rock. Mids are not recessed in my experience.

Mar 27, 2019 at 11:56 PM Post #9 of 25
I recently picked up a set of dt770 pros and i like the overall sound just miss a bit of the midrange. So i am wondering about closed back midcentric cans that are under 300. I've heard akg 240 mkii or shure srh840 might be decent for mid forward cans. My listening preferences are rock and metal. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
I think of my Soundmagic HP151 as an improved DT770.

Mar 28, 2019 at 1:30 AM Post #10 of 25
840 is a good choice but if you want something more engaging then 940 would be a better choice. 7506 from Sony would be a good choice too.

Apr 1, 2019 at 8:39 PM Post #12 of 25
I ended up going with the 840s and i couldn't be happier. These are great cans. Everything I've thrown at them sounds great. The mids are really nice. Makes guitars sound awesome. Thanks for all the recommendations.

Apr 5, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #13 of 25
Sennheiser HD-25-1 ii are probably my favorite for metal. Stuff like Metallica just sounds stupid good on them and the mids are excellent.

Apr 5, 2019 at 9:02 PM Post #14 of 25
Sony MDR7510 has a great midrange. Midrange is warm, thick, layers of detail and very natural sounding. It also has very good sub-bass/bass with layers of detail and also very natural sounding. Sub-bass/bass is not bloated in any way, it's tight, controlled and goes very deep. The only thing about the MDR7510 is that the treble might be too much/fatiguing for some people. It's not that it's excessively bright sounding like Beyerdynamic DT880 (for example), but it's extremely clear/accurate. It has a particularly big soundstage for a closed-back headphone and imaging is very good. Acoustic music sounds absolutely wonderful with the MDR7510. Overall it is a very neutral and natural sounding headphone with exceptional clarity in the bass, exceptional clarity and thickness in the midrange, and extremely clear treble.
Another headphone I would like to recommend is the AKG K275. Not quite in the same league as the Sony MDR7510 even though it's a little bit more expensive, but it is probably the next best closed-back headphone within your budget. The AKG K275 has more sub-bass than the MDR7510 but it's not inaccurate, in fact the K275's bass is the thing that impresses me the most about it. Really exceptional for a headphone of it's price. The midrange of the K275 is good though not as natural sounding as the MDR7510, it's warm and there's plenty of depth. The treble of K275 is crisp, non-fatiguing and detailed. K275 soundstage is narrower than MDR7510 but the imaging is almost as good. Overall the K275 has a very uncoloured sound signature with a powerful bass. The one major advantage the K275 has over the MDR7510 is that it has a detachable cable.
These two headphones are honestly the best available within your budget, in my opinion. To get a higher level of sound quality you would probably need to spend almost twice as much.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2019 at 9:03 PM Post #15 of 25
840 is a good choice but if you want something more engaging then 940 would be a better choice. 7506 from Sony would be a good choice too.
Sony MDR-7506?
I would think those would be more for studio monitoring (mixing, creating, editing).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back