Looking for closed back recommendations
Apr 5, 2019 at 9:46 PM Post #16 of 25
Sony MDR-7506?
I would think those would be more for studio monitoring (mixing, creating, editing).

I straight up can't listen to my MDR-V6 for 90% of music. They just aren't engaging and enjoyable at all. Yes they're insanely detailed but are honestly harsh to my ears and insanely unforgiving with anything that isn't an amazing recording. The pads are pretty deteriorated so that could be a contributing factor too.

Apr 6, 2019 at 10:41 PM Post #17 of 25
I would like throw in the 1more over ears as a good option for that genre. That would be my go to for that music with my current stable of headphones.

Apr 6, 2019 at 11:20 PM Post #18 of 25
I would like throw in the 1more over ears as a good option for that genre. That would be my go to for that music with my current stable of headphones.

I actually stumbled on these on Aliexpress yesterday and my gut reaction was (for whatever reason) was that they looked like a crummy overpriced pair of chinese cans, but i read further into them and i've heard good stuff! Which is good because they are really cool looking.

Apr 6, 2019 at 11:46 PM Post #19 of 25
I completely agree with the HD 25 suggestion, and 2/3 agree with the 1 more suggestions. Both good recommendations, but the OP already made his decision and purchase.

Apr 7, 2019 at 5:10 AM Post #20 of 25
I'd recommend the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x, I've had these for a while and recently I've been trying to find something better and totally failed - tried the DT770's and Monolith M565C.

the drivers for DT770's 250ohm from what I've read are only rated at 100mW which explained why they distorted when I pushed the volume up, the Monolith M565C's drivers are 2W so had plenty of loudness but sounded bad, no lows, recessed mids and high, yes I did fix all that with EQ but overall they offered no more detail or sound quality than my M50's so I sent them back.

So yeah if you're looking for something 'fun' and with plenty of detail, then M50X;s

Apr 10, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #22 of 25
Sony MDR-7506?
I would think those would be more for studio monitoring (mixing, creating, editing).
Yes it is but I used it for music listening sometime. It serves me well so I am thinking to mention it as an option!

Apr 10, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #23 of 25
I'd recommend the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x,
So yeah if you're looking for something 'fun' and with plenty of detail, then M50X;s
Takstar HD6000 headphones, your basically getting the ATH-M50X sound, but for a much lower price.

Apr 10, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #24 of 25
IMO, closed back cans favor lower end frequencies, but can be modded to bring out the mids.
E.g., I use Fostex TH900s,$1100, and of course they have other more affordable lines.E.g., Th-00,$500, etc.

eg. Generally speaking, these Fostex have a slight “v dip” in the mids, BUT, after tuning them internally with some damping (EZ)
It reduces the extreme hi and low frequencies and puts more energy to the mids, making themr up front and center, smooth,
Detailed, like they are singing right in your forehead. And with a tube amp, the amplification increases for the mids,
a nd they sound even more natural and real.
It’s the perfect balance of hi/mid/low frequencies for me.

Apr 10, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #25 of 25
Yes it is but I used it for music listening sometime. It serves me well so I am thinking to mention it as an option!
I have the Sony MDR-V6 (95% like the MDR-7506) and they were fine as portables, so are good value for their price, but for music "enjoyment", there are headphones that offer a more "fiesta" sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back