Looking for closed back headphones for around £100
Jan 4, 2018 at 12:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

wasilewski

New Head-Fier
Hello there,

I'm after some new headphones and I have approximately £100 to spend, although will spend slightly more but would like to keep it in and around this mark.

I'm not much of an audio expert but do love music and mostly listen to rock. My hifi is just a basic Panasonic SC HC1020 and I will be listening to music through that and on my MacBook Air.

I would like the headphones to be wired and don't want to have to purchase a separate headphone amp. I would like to buy the headphones new.

If I have missed anything please let me know so I can add in extra info as needed.

Jan 4, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #4 of 17
Sony MDR1ORC and/or Musical Fidelity MF100. Neither are as cheap as they once were but you can still easily get BOTH for £100. Amazon. Co. Uk

For very serious home use only there is the big and ugly old beyer DT150. Often available for less than 100 quid especially on warehouse deals (I paid 65 for my last pair) Nothing is better for the price IMO. They will strongly benefit from an amp though

Jan 4, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #5 of 17
Thanks for the suggestion. I will keep these in mind. Have you compared them to the AKG-K550s at all? I believe the AKGs are very popular too.

I haven't tried the AKG-K550's but one thing I remember reading from a review is that they have less bass than ATH-M50x's. The M50x's are not too bass heavy like Beats headphones, but they do have some boom (enough bass to support hip-hop/electronica, if your also into that sort of thing).

Sorry, I'm not really sure of other differences (I'm a new member here).

Jan 4, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #6 of 17
In this price range my preference is for the SoundMAGIC HP151. It may not be a giant killer, but it does far outperform its modest price-point. It is currently available on amazon.uk for 120 GBP. You should check it out.

Jan 5, 2018 at 3:06 AM Post #7 of 17
Thanks again guys for the suggestions.

I haven't tried the AKG-K550's but one thing I remember reading from a review is that they have less bass than ATH-M50x's. The M50x's are not too bass heavy like Beats headphones, but they do have some boom (enough bass to support hip-hop/electronica, if your also into that sort of thing).

Sorry, I'm not really sure of other differences (I'm a new member here).

I'm not in to hip hop or electronica music at all to be honest, however I don't think I'd be happy if I had headphones that sounded thin due to them lacking on bass frequencies.

In this price range my preference is for the SoundMAGIC HP151. It may not be a giant killer, but it does far outperform its modest price-point. It is currently available on amazon.uk for 120 GBP. You should check it out.

I was just reading about the SoundMAGIC HP151 and it says they have a large soundstage - how would this compare to the ATH-M50x soundstage?

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #10 of 17
Thanks for the suggestion. I will keep these in mind. Have you compared them to the AKG-K550s at all? I believe the AKGs are very popular too.
If you can get K550, then I would highly recommend getting them. They are pretty damn good for their price, with a very well balanced and IMO amazing for rock. Though you need to get a good seal or else the bass is going to be bad, really bad.

Jan 5, 2018 at 6:48 PM Post #15 of 17
Sorry, but that's funny lol. Maybe you could EDIT your first post to save someone taking time to read thru this and think of suggestions only to get hit with you need Bluetooth headphones 14 posts later

Users who are viewing this thread

Back