looking for cheap portable dac
Feb 11, 2010 at 12:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Justice Strike

100+ Head-Fier
I'm trying to find a portable dac for use with a optical spdif output. It's mainly for usage with a laptop... i want to isolate the sound from the static that is caused within the laptop.

I've already tried it with a minidisc... and while it works, it is awkward as you need to record something for the dac to be active.

I'm really looking for something small and preferably with a volume control. It doesn't have to amp anything as i will use it with the inline booster of the pfr-v1.

any suggestions?

Feb 11, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #3 of 14
Feb 11, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by FraGGleR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
something like this? HIFIDIY.net Mini 1793 SPDIF DAC Board -PCM1793+DIR9001 - eBay (item 110438496566 end time Feb-21-10 09:28:37 PST)

not many "cheap" options out there. now if you were to use usb as your input, then there is a whole new world to explore.

Yes something like that
smily_headphones1.gif
but then with a headphone output and a volume control
smily_headphones1.gif

I want to actually use a optical dac to prevent any static. Any other options except the one you showed? (that is actually quite close to what i want)

Feb 12, 2010 at 3:18 AM Post #6 of 14
Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro is about $30 and the size of a flash drive. It doesn't have volume control though. There's also a v.2 coming out soon.

Feb 14, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Armaegis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro is about $30 and the size of a flash drive. It doesn't have volume control though. There's also a v.2 coming out soon.

alas... it's a sound card. I'm not looking for a usb dac. I'm looking for a dac with a optical in. I just realized though. The laptop can do the attenuation. So volume control isn't really needed on the dac.

Feb 14, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #8 of 14
Oh whoops, I misread and though you wanted one with optical output, not input. You can try one of these: Results for DACs:S/PDIF INPUT

He will usually take reasonable offers if you email him.

Feb 14, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #9 of 14
If you can find someone selling their old Lyrix. THat would be a good priced portable DAC.

Feb 15, 2010 at 7:54 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Armaegis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh whoops, I misread and though you wanted one with optical output, not input. You can try one of these: Results for DACs:S/PDIF INPUT

He will usually take reasonable offers if you email him.

alas that one only has coaxial input.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Infoseeker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you can find someone selling their old Lyrix. THat would be a good priced portable DAC.

isn't that a usb dac?

Feb 15, 2010 at 8:48 AM Post #11 of 14
Aside from the D10, I believe Ryuzoh has designed a DAC that iBasso produced for him which would suit your needs. No idea on price or availablity as Ryuzoh has made himself pretty scarce lately.

Feb 19, 2010 at 7:31 AM Post #13 of 14
Feb 19, 2010 at 8:06 AM Post #14 of 14
The USB-to-SPDIF version of the Gamma1 DAC will do what you need. Maybe see what MisterX can do for you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back