Looking for car deck with aux(100$ range)
Nov 15, 2006 at 1:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

stukovx

100+ Head-Fier
Been using a cheap 20$ fm transmitter with my sony ericsson w810i and the static is killing me. Are there any cheap but decent decks that cost around 100$? Links and reviews would help. thanks.

Nov 15, 2006 at 6:21 AM Post #2 of 8
Just find the appropriate PIE adaptor for your car. When I first got my xB, i bought one. It's got two RCA jacks and plugs into your radio's CD changer/cd player port, and the car thinks its toggling thru CDs but its playing audio from your DAP.

I forgot where to get it, but I think a google search should find you a couple sites. I got mine for aroudn $60. I don't remember the site name, but it broke and they sent a replacement for free w/o asking for the old one. The site specialized in all sorts of car ICE.

Nov 15, 2006 at 6:47 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by stukovx
Been using a cheap 20$ fm transmitter with my sony ericsson w810i and the static is killing me. Are there any cheap but decent decks that cost around 100$? Links and reviews would help. thanks.

You're not going to find a good head unit with an aux input built in for that price. It would probably be cheaper just to take it to your local car audio shop and have them install an aux connector cable from your existing head-unit. I had one installed earlier this year when I installed my new Alpine deck ($200 something and it still didn't come with an aux input
mad.gif
) and the place I took it to only charged like an extra $30 to do it. I don't know if he gave me a discount or not since I had the head unit and speakers installed at the same time but I don't imagine it would be much more just to have the cable installed as it doesn't take very long to do.

Nov 15, 2006 at 6:06 PM Post #4 of 8
Check your local Circuit City, there is a Sony CD deck with a Aux input (standard 1/8th) for 79.99 installed. It comes with 1 pre out, remote also. There is also a better model for like 130 if you can afford it..(Plays MP3 CD's, dual pre outs, remote). I use higher version of the 79$ one in my car and i couldnt be happier. Its not super elite like a drop down face (which i hate btw) or play Video etc etc...but it had the features i needed and wanted. I bought it about a year ago, price has dropped alot since then. Also...the deck (higher version, not the 79$ one) plays burn MP3 CD's =) Good to keep you CD case in your car down to a min amount of CDs. I have like 6 CD total each full with 800mb of 128-192k MP3s. What first attracted me was that i didnt have to carry a huge CD case anymore. I did love the quality of sound that comes with a real CD, but it would just be a pain to carry it all. So i converted my favorite cds to about 15 total 800mb cd-r. I carry about 4-6 only now, just bring my DAP which i change often.

The stereo sounds great..however its alot to do with my speakers (Polk Audio mids/highs,6 1/2s in door, 10mm softdomes behind my side mirrors, 6x9's in back dash, MTX 12" and MTX 250wx1 sub amp) My car doesnt win any awards...but its nice and clean sounding...Dynamat'ed my doors, trunk and back dash. I have my sub turned down alot..so its not just a ghetto bass booming machine...i can get it to drop pretty low..but to me, over bass'ed music sounds like major ass. I go for a more tight effect...nothing that rattles the windows of your house.

Nov 16, 2006 at 11:53 PM Post #5 of 8
Nov 17, 2006 at 5:38 PM Post #6 of 8
Another thing ..hows the SQ out of your phone? I know its great sound for a phone, but compared to like a nice DAP. I almost went with the W810i with cingular..but i love Nokia S60 OS soo much and have soo much software, i couldnt make the switch.

Your sure the static isnt coming from the phone? or maybe the connection between the two? FM transmitters are known to be crapp sounding to begin with, most let you change channels to try to clear up reception. However its never really going to sound as good as a CD, so your choice on a Aux on a car stereo is a good one.

To be honest...im quite happy with the Sony i bought. It has controls for hi-mids-lows and seperate for sub and aux input. Alot of cheap players do not let you control the mid..so this was a good choice imho. Mind you i said this isnt going to win awards, nor does it rattle the pictures off the wall. Nice clean bass is what i was going for. Total price i would say about 1500$ with everything, including wires. I did most of the work myself, they only thing i had done was a remote line and a power line from my Battery to my trunk (im lazy and didnt want to run it through my firewall in my car)

What kind of speakers are you using in your car? I know this is going to sound stupid...but my mom comes me one day and says "omg i blown my speakers in my car" Well this didnt come to a shock to me consider she blowns about every single set of speakers we bought her..From JBL to Bose, Her and her Perry Como Christmas time CD has ruined them all. She was using a nice system in her car..I belive its Bose, stock in Lexus. Anyway to make a long story short, she didnt blow her speaker, her speaker in her door connection was loose...i noticed it when i tested the speakers and it would cut in and out, every time causing a static pop to the rest of the system.

Nov 18, 2006 at 8:02 AM Post #7 of 8
Take a look at some of the Clarion DXC*** models. I have a discontinued model I picked up for $100 at Fry's. I think you'll find others similar to it at eBay.

It has an Aux in, but more importantly, it also has a CeNET input. For another $100 or so, you can get a box that plugs directly into an iPod and will let you control the iPod through your deck. You have to set up six playlists and it treats them sort of like a CD changer. Not as convenient as the iPod interface, for sure, but it beats the heck out of swapping CDs and carrying folders of them in the car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back