Looking for budget IEM's, upgrade from EP630
Aug 26, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #16 of 28
What player do you use? if re-2 lacks bass, just equalize then. lol

Aug 26, 2008 at 7:19 PM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
chinesekiwi has tried them both...so, what do you say dude? Denon or Head-Direct for rock?

I own them both, well, for rock, I'd say the RE2's because of the better treble response.

Sep 3, 2008 at 11:28 PM Post #19 of 28
This thread has been one of the most helpful for me so far. Although everything on this site is great.
I mainly listen to punk/hardcore music with a bit of soft indie thrown in.
The problem for me seems to be finding a pair that will ship to Australia for a good price. The head-direct deal at the moment only gives $20 back if you live in US or Canada. So still $99 rather than $79 for the RE2's.
And the cheapest price on Amazon for the Denon C551 is about $55, but they don't ship outside the US.

Has anyone got any other suggestions of where the best and cheapest place to get them is. Even maybe a change of idea for my type of music? Thanks

Sep 4, 2008 at 12:13 AM Post #20 of 28
Any friends in NZ? 551s can be had for US$62 there. But then there's shipping to Aus...

Headphones.com.au have RE2s for $99 AUS (or is that the same as USD now?). Have you checked out the usual places? Audiocubes, etc.? eBay?

Sep 4, 2008 at 2:26 AM Post #21 of 28
You can get the Future Sonics Fs1 for $80 on ebay. They might be way out of your budget, but well worth it (especially if you like bass).

I'm a fledgling audiophile so I can't give you the depth of experience. That said, I can tell you that the FS1s seem to be underrated (like their big brother, the Atrio M5)

They're well worth a look. I just ordered the Denon 751s and am waiting for those.

Sep 4, 2008 at 3:42 AM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by kulprit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This thread has been one of the most helpful for me so far. Although everything on this site is great.
I mainly listen to punk/hardcore music with a bit of soft indie thrown in.
The problem for me seems to be finding a pair that will ship to Australia for a good price. The head-direct deal at the moment only gives $20 back if you live in US or Canada. So still $99 rather than $79 for the RE2's.
And the cheapest price on Amazon for the Denon C551 is about $55, but they don't ship outside the US.

Has anyone got any other suggestions of where the best and cheapest place to get them is. Even maybe a change of idea for my type of music? Thanks

you can grab the RE2's from Headphonic for AUS$99 with free shipping. Awesome value phones for anything i've thrown at it IMHO better than the er6i (olly other iem's i've tried other than the RO2 pro) for evrything bar classical and live orchestrals. Just be warned that they don't isolate as well as the er6i's.

Sep 4, 2008 at 9:01 PM Post #23 of 28
It seems that Headphonic might be the best place to get the RE2's from for me. Other than ebay can't find a good place for the Denon's and it seems here the RE2's are more recommended for my type of musical taste.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Nov 7, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #24 of 28
Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I listen to the same kind of music as the OP (along with some indie/Britpop) and am looking for IEMs/earphones in the $70-80 range. I've gone through two sets of V-MODA Vibes and while I like the sound, I'm sick of the terrible build quality on these things. I'm looking at:

Etymotic ER6i
Shure E2C-N/SE110
Denon C551
Audio-Technica CK7
UE metro.fi 150/200

If there any that I should take a look at, please let me know. I won't use an amp and most of the listening will be through my Nokia N95, Creative ZEN Vision: M, and my laptop. Durability is key for me, and I can sacrifice the heavy bass of the Vibes for something that will last a lot longer than 6 months.

Thanks in advance!

Nov 8, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #25 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by voicemaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Denon C551 will suit your need the best imo. Not boomy bass, not tiring treble, good for all type of music.

i'm curious, saw in your sig that you use C551 outside and C751 indoors. Any specific reason for that?

Nov 8, 2008 at 8:03 PM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElectricTool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I listen to the same kind of music as the OP (along with some indie/Britpop) and am looking for IEMs/earphones in the $70-80 range. I've gone through two sets of V-MODA Vibes and while I like the sound, I'm sick of the terrible build quality on these things. I'm looking at:

Etymotic ER6i
Shure E2C-N/SE110
Denon C551
Audio-Technica CK7
UE metro.fi 150/200

If there any that I should take a look at, please let me know. I won't use an amp and most of the listening will be through my Nokia N95, Creative ZEN Vision: M, and my laptop. Durability is key for me, and I can sacrifice the heavy bass of the Vibes for something that will last a lot longer than 6 months.

Thanks in advance!

I would give a +1 to the C551s. Had mine for close to a year being shoved into my jeans and they withstood that, until I misplaced them. The L/R labels do get worn off, but there's a bump on the stem/strain relief of the L bud that distinguishes it.

Not to mention they have the sound signature I prefer.

Nov 8, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #27 of 28
Also +1 for Denons.
Forget about the Etys and Shure. Soundstage is tiny and sound rather flat and neutral. Definitely not a good choice for rock where you need an impact in bass and more space in the music.

I'm not saying that Etys and Shure are bad headphones. Rock (as a dynamic music) is not their favourite territory.

Also the CK7 and Metro.Fi 200 should be OK.

Nov 9, 2008 at 1:59 AM Post #28 of 28
If you want to directly drive a headphone from a portable music player, another good choice is the Ultimate Ears super.fi 3 Studio.

Except for the lack of really deep bass and taking some practice to get the best fit, the SF3 is a really good choice for two reasons: 1) the midrange and treble sound quality is excellent and 2) it is very efficient, so you don't need to crank up the volume to get decent sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back