Looking for brain-shakers.
Dec 3, 2009 at 5:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Skoobs

100+ Head-Fier
i have senn's pc350s for gaming, and the bass and mids suck. balls.

i have the ath-a700s for music and movies, and i think they sound good for the money i paid for them. im enjoying them a lot.

but i listen to a lot of modern metal with REALLY heavy bass/double bass. sometimes, i want something that will just pump out the lows and mids to the point that my brain feels like its going to drip out my ears.

so i want to know if anyone has found any phones with huge, bloated bass AND mids. (low mids are important for the times when a long bass note is hitting and there is deep double bass pedal going over it at the same time, right? =]) i mean huge. like, not even great sound quality. just real thumpers.

i want to get closed cans and in-ears. my next purchase was going to be buds, but i also want over ears for at home, especially if they have a larger soundstage, as i noticed over ear cans tend to more than all the buds ive tried.

budget ~100 buxx a pair.

okay, breaks over. be back later.

btw, this forum is great. i spend a lot of time on here seeing what phones and, especially, amps, i should try out. thanks guys.

Dec 3, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #2 of 20
If you really want crazy bass and don't care too much about sound quality, try the Skullcandy Skullcrusher. It requires 1 AA battery, but that thing is like a bloated subwoofer attached to your head.

Dec 3, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by lui_boy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you really want crazy bass and don't care too much about sound quality, try the Skullcandy Skullcrusher. It requires 1 AA battery, but that thing is like a bloated subwoofer attached to your head.

that's not even sound , just a vibration!

Dec 3, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by roker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that's not even sound , just a vibration!

Hahaha, I guess you're right. I hated making that recommendation since I felt the quality of the headphone is cheap, but with the limited budget and specs the OP was looking for, I felt it fit the description.

Dec 3, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by lui_boy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Great for clearing sinus and ear congestion, too. Doubles as a medical device. My nephew has these and thinks they are great for gaming *and* music. If he is not semi-retarted now, (and we're pretty sure he is), these will finish off what few remaining brain cells the kid has left.
biggrin.gif

Dec 3, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #6 of 20
Sony XB500 $79
If you can stretch it a little you can get the XB700's at $129

Here's a comparsion between the Sonys and the Skullcrusher max Bass, looks like the XB500's fit the bill
smily_headphones1.gif

graphCompare.php

Dec 3, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #8 of 20
aww ive never been at all a fan of sony... i dont know why. They make some **** car subwoofers, and a lot of their lower end products looks like hell. I may have to go see if the sony store at the outlets here has them to test though. hmm.

any others? i do want SQ, i just meant that i dont want it to be balanced SQ. =)

Dec 3, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #10 of 20
DT770pro.
M-audio Q40
Ultrasone

In order of increasing slam (top is lowest) and decreasing comfort (top is highest).
Of course you can put 770 pads on the q40

Or if you want nothing but bass, Skullcandy Holua or sony XB500
graphCompare.php

Dec 3, 2009 at 10:02 PM Post #12 of 20
come to think of it, my mom did have some pretty awesome sport headphones from sony that kicked some major butt in the bass/mids dept. they arent on the cite anymore though.

my next planned full size cans were the DT770s 80 ohm. (i do want some SQ... how are those holuas? looks like the highs drop no nothing at the end haha.but other than that not too bad of a curve. easy to equalize?)

i am not going to get any on-ears though. i had some that i loved, but they hurt my ears really bad cuz i have some cartilage that sticks out further than the softer part of my ear and it hits the hard part of most on ear phones.

but i think i should get in-ears and an amp before i keep spending money on fullsize cans

Dec 3, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #13 of 20
You could look into the HD 212's. These were the first pair of full size headphones I bought and I still have them. They are definitely bass heavy, and some refer to them as being muddy, but for heavy rock I think they sound really good. Also I think they can be found for under $50 now.

Dec 4, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #14 of 20
yeah, i hear a lot of good things about the senns HD series, but after hearing their PC350s, im afraid to waste the money. those were DISAPPOINTING. haha but the mic is nice. actually the whole build is nice. they feel way more solid and durable than my ath-a700s

nobody has any input on buds? in ear phones?

Dec 4, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skoobs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have senn's pc350s for gaming, and the bass and mids suck. balls.

Try the PC350 mods, tried it on my brother's pair and now they have much more more bass than is healthy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back