Looking for bluetooth headphones with controls to switch between paired devices
Nov 17, 2022 at 5:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

LEGOEPIC

New Head-Fier
Title is a good summary, but for more detail:
I have three devices my bluetooth headphones (sony wh-xb700) are paired to; laptop, tablet, and iphone. when I turn them on, they automatically connect to the last device I connected them to. for example, they connect to my tablet. if i want to use them with my laptop, i have to get my tablet and disconnect them from the menu there before i can connect them to my laptop. If i try connecting to them without disconnecting from the tablet first, the connection fails.
I'd like some headphones that get around this annoyance if possible, and i can think of a few ways this can be achieved:
  1. a button on the headphones to switch between paired devices. My Logitech MX anywhere 2 wireless mouse has this functionality with the "easy-switch" button. I believe it changes some sort of "signature" of the device, because you have to pair it to each device while the appropriate number is active. It seems the Bose QC 35 II have this feature, but they're a bit expensive for me and i don't need ANC.
  2. A button on the headphones to disconnect them from the currently connected device, to allow connection to be initiated from another device.
  3. the headphones do not auto-connect to the last used device and remain unconnected until connection is initiated from a device. This seems like the simplest, but also lease desirable option as the auto-connection is still useful if i don't want to switch devices.
I'm not looking for mulipoint pairing. this has nothing to do with taking calls and i don't necessarily always want it to switch to the device that's actively delivering audio (ie don't want phone notifications taking over audio from laptop/tablet)
This is practically the only feature i care about. would like audio quality to be at least on par with WH-XB700, and I'd like sub $300, but even those are negotiable. don't care about noise cancelling/isolating, in fact I'd prefer if they weren't, but that seems hard to find these days. really the only other non-negotiable feature is being headphones. no earbuds please.
I'm at my wits end trying to search for these features. does anything like this exist?

Nov 17, 2022 at 9:13 PM Post #2 of 2
I have not seen any HP that has your features, but most HP that I tried had no trouble pulling connection once 1st pairing was established. I did not have to disconnect first. Q35, XM4, XM5, Aonic 50, and Panda all worked this way to name a few. These don't support multipoint on LDAC so multipoint was turned off(or don't support multipoint).

Just an idea for xb700, can you force pairing mode and hit connect on your preferred device? Bit inconvenient but might be better than disconnecting first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back