looking for bluetooth headphones: Sony MDR-1RBT or Sony MDR-10RBT?
Nov 17, 2013 at 5:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Justice Strike

100+ Head-Fier
With the Sony MDR-1RBTmk2 coming, i'm wondering if the mdr-1rbt is maybe a bang for buck. If i compare it with the mdr-10rbt then it's only 50 euro's more expensive.

however, i havn't seen alot of comparisons between these two headphones... does anyone care to put their 2 cents in?

Nov 18, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #4 of 35
I just picked up the 10RBT yesterday... I like the design WAY more than the 1RBT, I believe mk2 will be the same design so I'm sticking with the 10RBT. I had the 1RBT for a few months and ultimately decided to sell them off as they were not quite worth the premium dollar they were charging. This time around at $249 US they are a lot more reasonable and the sound isn't too far off from the 1RBTs that I had. Obviously I can't do a direct comparison but the design on the 10R series I like it a lot more... you should be able to find the 10RBTs down to closer to 200 after Xmas.

Nov 18, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #6 of 35
It's quite a bit more sleek. I found the 1RBT a bit bulky; the headband itself is nearly twice the width and the whole hinge joint is bigger. These are a lot more like the Parrot Zik with a thin band and just a more streamlined style. Also they are lighter. I used them for 3 hours yesterday straight out of the box for 3-4 hours and I didn't put a dent in the battery. Started at 2 flashes (out of 3) and by the end of the day I still was getting 2 flashes. I only charged my 1RBT twice in the 3 months I used them. First time was straight from the box and I used them for about 2 and a half months before needing a charge at about 1-2 hours a day Mon-Fri. I'd assume with the same usage of 1-2 hours a day 5-6 days a week The 10RBT will last a month to a month and a half easily. These headphones also fit a bit more snug. Not tight... just snug, whiLe the ear cup feels roomier as there is less cushion though it's just as comfortable if not more. I also enjoy how the cups look as they are smooth and puffy looking while the 1RBT's cushions looked "less stuffed" and the pair I had was sewn a bit crooked.

I posted an Amazon review. I'll post it in my next post here too.

Nov 18, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #7 of 35
Last year I picked up and reviewed the MDR-1RBT headphones from Sony, this year they released a "budget" model, the MDR-10RBT and will also be releasing the  MDR-1RBTmk2; which will have the same design as the 1RBT.

Since one of the issues I had previously was the quality and build of the 1RBT to begin with, the 10RBT has corrected everything I ever disliked about the "flagship" model of the line. The thinner headband and more sleek lines are much appreciated for portable use. They picked up a few of the better design cues from the Parrot Zik headphones that were "designed by Stark"; mixing it with the better looking parts of the 1R line, for just a damn good looking pair of headphones. These headphones also retail for $150 less than the 1RBTs and weigh a bit less. Some may feel that they used cheaper materials in the 10RBT but I certainly do not feel that way. The materials are on par, with the hinge of the ear cups having a wider turning radius in both directions than ANY of the Sony headphones I've used besides the "DJ" models that turn all the way around. The ear cups themselves seem to be better stitched and look less "home sewn". The fit of the headphone is pretty loose, but not as loose as the 1RBTs. I prefer that they are a little more snug so I can get a good seal on my head to prevent the headphones from moving. I also have a pretty big head though not enormous. I am comfortable with the adjustment down about 1 or 2 notches down on each side.

Sound quality is on-par with the 1RBT, I think these are slightly less bass-y and a tinge muddier on the low end but over the 3 hours I used the 10RBTs they progressively got better and more sounded clear. So a burn-in is definitely necessary on these headphones. They will probably sound even better after a week or so. The sound stage on these headphones are VERY wide. So wide in fact that if the headphones move a little (like when I turn to look behind me) the sound actually changes slightly. I'm not sure if I like or dislike this, but it is a little jarring to hear the music change slightly when you turn your head. Most of my listening was done over Bluetooth while working out and though it was good, plugging in through the 3.5mm jack passthrough is where the top notch quality really is. Audio is definitely more crisp and volume levels are slightly higher when plugged in, not that it is what these headphones are for, but allowing the option for cable pass though should be mandatory now on all BT headphones.

Going back to the design, which is what I love most about these guys. On the 1RBT all the ports (usb, 3.5mm) were covered, which for when you want to plug in you have to pull the tab off to charge or plug-in to listen. I hate this feature on any device, when you're plugged in to listen, it looks like you(very poorly) hacked your headphones, with the plastic flap kind of hanging down like your headphone had a hangnail. No longer! Both ports are uncovered (much like the Zik) and not only look seamless, they look down right "industrial sexy". The band around the ear cup is now silver painted instead of black and you would easily mistake them as brushed aluminum at first glance. Plugging a micro USB cable in for the first time feels tight. I wasn't sure it was all the way in at first, about 1mm of the metal plug actually sticks out, so don't try to jam it in too hard. 

The buttons (VOL UP & DOWN; Power) as well as the toggle for REW,PLAY,FWD are all solid and give a nice throw when you click down on them. Unlike any previous Sony Headphones I've ever owned; the 10R line seems to turn the opposite way when you fold them in. previously my headphones always turned up as I placed them down on my neck. These actually turn down and the ear cup is against my shoulders when I have them around my neck... This is actually preferred by me as debris and dirt could fall into the ear cups while it's around your neck when they're turned up...  Cudos to Sony for changing that up.

Everything about the 10RBT works better for me than the 1Rs and I'm happy Sony has made these changes. It's sleeker, sexier and still holds at LEAST 95% of the sound quality of it's more expensive cousin, but at a much more palatable price. I even would recommend getting these over the standar 10Rs, as for the $50 extra, it really is worth it to have the option of both Bluetooth or cabled. You'll need to purchase a cable that has controls (VOL, FF, REW,PLAY) on it if you prefer having those features on the cable though (which are included in the 1R). Sony even has added AAC and Apt-X bluetooth profiles this time around, something the 1R lacked... though most of you probably will never use it as no iPhones and many Android phones don't use Apt-X and generally most people don't encode in AAC unless they purchased their music from iTunes directly.

My one suggestion for headphones like this would be to have passive controls through the headphone controls when plugged in. It would require a specialized cable of course (that has the 3 stripped 3.5mm plug) but it would be great if when plugged in you can use the same controls as when you're using Bluetooth. As it is when you plug your 3.5mm jack into the headphone, the BT turns off and none of your controls can be used to control the phone.

Nov 19, 2013 at 6:58 AM Post #10 of 35
i have glasses, so the one requirement i have is that it doesn't sit on my ear. After a hour i will have hurting ears because they are pushed against the frame of my glasses. 

If that's good then the 10r might be an option.... but the price at the moment seems to be a bit inflated.

Nov 19, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #11 of 35
Price is a little on the high side... especially since they just released this week in my area. It still says "PreOrder" on the Sony website.

I wore these yesterday with my sunglasses. There was no discomfort at all. The cups are over the ear and very soft. BUT I've worn ON ear headphones before while wearing sunglasses and it's never bothered me so you'll have to take that for what it is worth.

Nov 19, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #14 of 35
   What about the Harman/Kardon CL BT? I Have the CL non BT and they are really great for the prices, I liked them more than the MDR-1R (That could be my just my taste, though :p )
Here is ,my review of the H/K CL (Shameless self promotio 7-7)
http://www.head-fi.org/t/690983/harman-kardon-cl-review-kind-of-first-impression

Speaking of bang for a buck, look at Voxoa HD Wireless. True bang for the buck. Great bluetooth and great sound for a price of MDR-1R(non bluetooth version).

I checked out both of your reviews... oddly enough they both have a very similar design... personally I'm not a fan of that kind of headphone. On ear and square... I also tend to stick to Sonys because my friend works for them and hooks me up with a discount... I'm also a total nerd for high tech gear, which currently is wireless headphones. I also like headphones aesthetically, more different looking headphones and sleek ones (like the Beats by Dre line (and no I've never owned them)) as well as good sound quality. I would like to try out the Harman Kardon CL BT and I'm very curious about new brands like the Voxoa... but I probably would never own them. 

Great reviews though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back