Looking for best gaming soundcard to be used as transport
Oct 30, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #16 of 22
How about this X-Fi SB0670 (XtremeMusic).

It has an S/PDIF header on the back of the card, I'll add a pulse transformer and run an S/PDIF wire out by replacing one of the other jacks, maybe just remove the multi-pin header.

EDIT: Looks like HP OEM XtremeMusic, maybe without hardware acceleration. I'll keep looking

Oct 30, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #17 of 22
That one is a true X-Fi, a OEM model from HP, EMU20K1.
smily_headphones1.gif

You just have to download the software from the website, you would do this anyway, the latest SW/Driver versions are never on the CD anyway.

Oct 30, 2008 at 11:40 PM Post #19 of 22
About the mods, maarek99 did point out that the way to get EAX effects through it's spdif out is the mic port/flexijack, not sure you are going to be able to pass the effects using the back connector, but probably it wont be a problem, still, you may have to mod that mini-port instead.

Nov 4, 2008 at 5:55 AM Post #21 of 22
The card has just arrived, it's actually model SB0460

Some close ups of the card and the S/PDIF section.

There are two sources for S/PDIF on this card, the multi-jack and an S/PDIF header.

The S/PDIF header uses pin 9 for S/PDIF output.
The multi-jack on the output has it's outputs (both tip and ring) tracing the input/output pins of the 74HCT4053D multiplexer (http://www.nxp.com/acrobat_download/..._HCT4053_4.pdf), pins 2 & 5.

There is a 74F125D buffer (http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/74/74F125.pdf) that feeds both the S/PDIF header and the multiplexer, but off different pins.
Pin 6 is used to drive the S/PDIF header and pin 11 is used to drive the multiplexer.

There is 33R inline with both S/PDIF signals.

Time to throw in a pulse transformer and wire up a BNC jack instead of the AD_Link breakout.

Since the S/PDIF signal is taken from different sources and I cannot trace it back any further, I'll first try to connect the transformer to the S/PDIF header, and if it doesn't work (as in doesn't pass EAX and CMSS-3D), I'll use the outputs from the multiplexer and if needed, short out the multi-jack.

Of course I can't take credit for all of the modding, a great thanks to cetoole for helping me through email in picking transformer and recommending how the mod should be done. I just trace the card and try to sound smart.
tongue.gif

Nov 4, 2008 at 7:44 AM Post #22 of 22
Nice, keep us updated, I am probably going to do something similar to my X-FI Titanium PCI-E soon, I want to give coax/BNC a try!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back