Looking for best $ <150 headphones - sound quality and isolation top priorities
Apr 21, 2008 at 7:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Leperkawn

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a pair of headphones (probably going to be cans) that I can use in my dorm. Due to the fact that it's a tight space, I would really prefer headphones that let as little noise in as possible (and as little out as possible). I've heard Grado's are really open headphones, so I've been looking at Sennheiser.

Edit:
With regards to what I'll be listening to, I would have to say split between rock and trance-ish music, but I listen to stuff all over the board. Decent bass response would be great, but I won't give up a good pair of phones for worse ones with better bass.

Also, I would like to note that while I am not an audiophile (I am currently using a sub-20 USD pair of earbuds from Sony >__>), I would like to be introduced to the higher-end headphones with a pair that sound pretty good for the price.

What really caught my eye was this pair:

Sennheiser HD 280 Pro
(Sennheiser HD 280 Pro @ HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears)

Odd other things I like especially about this pair is the coiling cord and the folding-style.

Regarding headphone amps, I will be using this pair mainly in my dorm, with my DAP, and I've read many conflicting reports online. Some say this pair benefits from amplification, and some say it's unnecessary. If I'm dropping 100 USD on a pair of headphones, those suckers are going to work. I've decided if an amp is necessary, I would be getting either the HeadRoom Total AirHead or the HeadRoom Total BitHead

(The Mobile Line - HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears)

depending on how much I can put down (it would be 200-250 USD for both at this current set-up).

What I want to know is this: Is there any other 'phones that are better for what I'm looking for, than the 280 pro's? Also, with whatever phones are being recommended, do they require or benefit from amplification (and which amp is best)?

Thanks a ton for reading through all this.

Apr 21, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #3 of 24
The sennheiser hd-25-1 sound pretty good for you. You can find them for 160$ on buy.com. Their a little pricier but I don't think they really need an amp. Also look at the audio technica a700 and es7. You shouldn't need an amp for them but it never really hurts. Good luck.

Apr 22, 2008 at 10:44 AM Post #5 of 24
the hd-25-1's are a bit out of my pricerange (150 new is the absolute highest I am willing to go), and I really like the looks of the 280 pro (and the curling cord).

Do you guys think the 280's are good (even though I know you recommended the hd-25-1's)?

Apr 22, 2008 at 11:38 AM Post #6 of 24
i've never been attracted to the Hd 280 pro's because sennheisers high quality headphones have been made to be open.

however i have never listened to them, so i cannot say if they are good or bad compared to the hd-25-1's which i have also never listened to.

oh and don't EVER buy a pair of bose
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 22, 2008 at 2:20 PM Post #7 of 24
mow some lawns, sell some lemonade......whatever you have to do, but
go for the HD25-1's. They are one of the best sounding unamped and highly isolating cans I have heard.

Apr 22, 2008 at 4:13 PM Post #10 of 24
Have you considered an IEM?

Apr 22, 2008 at 7:22 PM Post #14 of 24
There are a couple things about the 280s that I wasnt that fond of. First, is that it has a pretty strong clamping force. Good for isolation, not so good for late nights/long listening sessions. Second, the bass is pretty much nonexistant. I briefly tried the 25-1s and from memory they had better bass. The rest of the spectrum for the 280s is decently detailed, but nothing amazing. Overall, the sound was for me pretty cramped and thin. However, its not easy to find closed phones for under 150 that can match open phones at the same price. I believe it was skylab that did a review of cheap, closed phones that could help you out.

edit: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/rev...mpared-250041/

Apr 22, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #15 of 24
The HD280 will work great for your needs since you want to minimize sound leakage, even without an amp. Dakmart sells them online as refurbs for about $60 shipped, which is a great deal IMO. Dakmart is an authorized Sennheiser reseller, and I would not hesitate buying from them. Or, you could find the HD280 new for around $75 shipped if you're patient and look around.

With a budget of under $150, I also recommend the HotUSB1 DAC/amp which sells on eBay for about $63 shipped. I think it would be a nice combo with the HD280.

You'll want to burn in the HD280 for a good 2 weeks solid before expecting to hear anything special from them. And if wanting to loosen up their grip of death, I recommend extending the ear pads all the way and stretching them over a box or stack of books while burning it in. The HotUSB1 only takes about an hour to burn in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back