Looking for bassy headphone with excellent mids!!!
Dec 4, 2013 at 8:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

iPhile

New Head-Fier
Im looking for a new closed back headphone that is bassy but also has excellent mids. I like electronic, trance, EDM, hip-hop and alternative and alternative rock music. I am not a basshead but i like bass and i love my mids more than anything (the majority of the music is in the mids). I am a huge fan of the shure sound signature (se215) and would love a headphone that can replicate the mids as well as Shure can but also supplies me with enough bass to feel its impact. Keep it under 400. So far i have been looking into the SRH840 and M50. HELP ME PLEASE! THANK YA'LL

Dec 5, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #2 of 26
If you are really not a basshead, then you probably should be looking at orthos.  Within your budget the Mad Dogs are probably the best match.  The HE 400 mids are not their strong point--so I can't recommend them to you.  You will need an amp.

Dec 6, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #3 of 26
Even though the HE-400s mids can be improved with velour pads the OP wants closed back so +1 on the Mad Dogs. 

will these be for home use or on the go?

Dec 7, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #4 of 26
  Even though the HE-400s mids can be improved with velour pads the OP wants closed back so +1 on the Mad Dogs. 

will these be for home use or on the go?

They will be for both on the go use and home use. But on the go as in I'll be taking them to the library to study for school, the library isn't that quite so I'm not totally concerned about others hearing me but it shouldn't be obnoxious. 

Dec 7, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #5 of 26
Dec 7, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #6 of 26
I second mad dogs
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 7, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #11 of 26
I think I may go for these. Ive done a lot of research and ive been thrown in circles but this seems like a nice tangent from what ive previously been recommended (hd 650s, shures, ultrasone). should i save up for the alpha dog headphones? its only another paycheck...

Dec 7, 2013 at 10:09 PM Post #12 of 26
I would get the Mad Dogs and keep them for a while, then trade them in for the the Alpha Dogs later.

If you send the Mad Dogs back and pay the last 300 they will give you the Alpha Dogs.

The Alpha Dogs don't come out for a few weeks anyways. 

I said Alpha Dog too much. 
confused_face.gif

Dec 7, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #14 of 26
Haven't heard the Mad Dogs but I can give some recs:
ATH WS99
UE6000
Sennheiser Momentum
NAD VISO HP50

Overall, ATH WS99 FTW.  The WS99 is basically what your asking for, plus a little more: crazy good bass, clear mids+ great build, style, and smooth highs.  The bass is definitely emphasized, but not to M100 levels for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back