Looking for bass-heavy headphones with more precise bass than Beyerdynamic COP (250-350$)
Apr 21, 2014 at 3:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

TRVLLFJVZ

New Head-Fier
I've had the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro for about a year now, and it's been an up and down experience.
I decided to buy it after my old DT 770 PRO broke, and I read on various internet forums that COP was similar to DT 770, only with stronger bass. The stronger bass part is certainly correct, but it's just too sloppy for my taste. The bass sounds bloated and imprecise, and the mids and highs leave a lot to be desired, especially compared to the much more open and precise DT 770s.

I generally listen to dubstep (the original, sub bass-oriented type), Trap (again sub bass-oriented) and Neurofunk Drum & Bass.
Now what I'm looking for is a pair of headphones for about 250-350$ that provide stronger bass than DT 770, but overall a more precise sound than COP.
I'm not well versed in audio terminology, so if something's wrong/off feel free to correct me. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks.

Apr 21, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #2 of 11
  I've had the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro for about a year now, and it's been an up and down experience.
I decided to buy it after my old DT 770 PRO broke, and I read on various internet forums that COP was similar to DT 770, only with stronger bass. The stronger bass part is certainly correct, but it's just too sloppy for my taste. The bass sounds bloated and imprecise, and the mids and highs leave a lot to be desired, especially compared to the much more open and precise DT 770s.

I generally listen to dubstep (the original, sub bass-oriented type), Trap (again sub bass-oriented) and Neurofunk Drum & Bass.
Now what I'm looking for is a pair of headphones for about 250-350$ that provide stronger bass than DT 770, but overall a more precise sound than COP.
I'm not well versed in audio terminology, so if something's wrong/off feel free to correct me. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks.

Sounds like your amplifying the Beyer COPS with a high impedance source, which can cause things like a bloated (louder, less detail) bass.
What sources are you plugging the COPS into?
Personally I prefer my ATH-A900Xs to the Beyer DT770s.

Apr 21, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #3 of 11
I'm using a Creative X-Fi HD (link), which I suspected could be the culprit, but after googling a bit, I saw that it did receive some praise in a few threads on this forum (aswell as some criticism, but not to the extent that I could conclude that the sound quality my headphones output was due to my DAC).

I've been considering the FiiO E07K, but I felt it would be a waste to buy it if I wasn't satisfied with my headphones in the first place. 

Apr 21, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #5 of 11
  I'm using a Creative X-Fi HD (link), which I suspected could be the culprit, but after googling a bit, I saw that it did receive some praise in a few threads on this forum (as well as some criticism, but not to the extent that I could conclude that the sound quality my headphones output was due to my DAC.

I've been considering the FiiO E07K, but I felt it would be a waste to buy it if I wasn't satisfied with my headphones in the first place. 

The X-Fi HD seems to use the same headphone amplification as the Creative Labs Ti-HD (Titanium-HD) and the Ti-HD has a headphone output impedance of 35-Ohms.
Technically it would be preferred to use headphones in the 250-Ohm range (DT770/DT880/DT990), with the X-Fi HD, the 120-Ohm AKG K612 Pro should also work well.
Headphones in the 50-Ohm to 60-Ohm should do decently well.

Your COPS are listed as 16-Ohm headphones, which means it's preferred to plug it into a headphone output of around 2-Ohms or less.
I bet if you plug the COPS in to a decent quality mp3 player, you would notice an improvement in audio quality.
(as decent quality modern portable audio players come with a much lower output impedance).
External portable DAC/amps like the FiiO E07K usually have a very low output impedance (like around 1-Ohm).
The E07K is basically a 2-channel audio device, which is fine for music and basic video,
but can not on it's own create surround sound, which would be helpful for FPS gaming.

Apr 21, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #6 of 11
If I were to buy one of the beyerdynamic headphones you listed, which one would best suit my needs? 

Judging from this guide, it would seem that the choice is between DT 770 PRO 80 Ohm, DT 770 PRO 250 Ohm and DT 880 PRO 250 Ohm.
You say a 50/60-Ohm headphone would do "decently" well, does this mean I should also steer clear of the 80-ohm editions of beyerdynamic's headphones?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm a bit of a newbie.

Apr 21, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #7 of 11
  If I were to buy one of the beyerdynamic headphones you listed, which one would best suit my needs? 

Judging from this guide, it would seem that the choice is between DT 770 PRO 80 Ohm, DT 770 PRO 250 Ohm and DT 880 PRO 250 Ohm.
You say a 50/60-Ohm headphone would do "decently" well, does this mean I should also steer clear of the 80-ohm editions of Beyerdynamic's headphones?

If I had to choose one Beyer headphone from your list for movies gaming and music, it would be the DT880 250-Ohm Pro (balanced sound).
The DT990 is not a bad second choice, if your more into bass/treble (movie theater like sound).
The DT770 Pro 80-Ohm would not be a bad choice, if your looking into a closed headphone with lots of bass.

Apr 21, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #8 of 11

If you are willing to consider open headphones, the HE-400 has amazing sounding bass due to the planar magnetics. It's been awhile since I listened to the DT770s, so I can't comment on the relative amount of bass of the HE-400s. But they do have bass emphasis.

Apr 21, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #9 of 11

You say a 50/60-Ohm headphone would do "decently" well, does this mean I should also steer clear of the 80-ohm editions of beyerdynamic's headphones?

Coming from bass heavy headphones you could find DT880 weak on the bass, and also pretty boring. (That happened to my brother!)

DT990 have very interesting bass and soundstage, but it's a bright can, noticeable brighter than DT880 which is also on the bright side. Then if you hate sibilance or treble emphasis, you should probably look elsewhere.

DT770 80 Ohm is like DT770 250 Ohm with more bass, then I think they are a good compromise between powerful bass and still quite precise sound.

Apr 21, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #10 of 11
Thanks for all the help, guys. Seems like I might go with DT770 80 Ohm
If you are willing to consider open headphones, the HE-400 has amazing sounding bass due to the planar magnetics. It's been awhile since I listened to the DT770s, so I can't comment on the relative amount of bass of the HE-400s. But they do have bass emphasis.

HE-400 is a bit pricey for me here in Norway. While it goes for the manageable sum of $299 on most US sites, it goes for around $499 over here.

Apr 21, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #11 of 11
HE-400 is a bit pricey for me here in Norway. While it goes for the manageable sum of $299 on most US sites, it goes for around $499 over here.

Sorry about that. Didn't realize you were in Norway. You could contact Razordog and see how much it would cost to ship it to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back